SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   My bike wont start? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/my-bike-wont-start-8379/)

Tonyzz 03-29-2006 09:47 AM

My bike wont start?

Hi,

it is my first time on this forum and im glad that i finally found a VTR forum!! WOW This will help alot!

First of all im french so my english can be bad

Ill explain the problem that i have!

- last october i got an accident, but that bike was working perfectly.
- Last junary he was in my garage and i start it whithout problem, but after that i took out the gas tank, chnage spark plug and air filter and many other thing.

Yesterday, i got all my part back, so i start to get my bike back online! So i put all fairing back, and i reinstall the gas tank.

After i've put some gas in, i start it whithout problem, and after 1 minutes he shut down. Try try try, he want to start but no. Ive tried many time and nothing. So i verify the valve under the gas tank and there is no way to know if it s on ON or OFF. I've tried both way and nothing.

Now i just have no idea, since i change the spark plug and took out the gas tnak, my bike wont start. What could be the problem, i know it is not the spark plug cause he did work for 1 minutes!

Can you help please

thank you
Marc

PS: Spellcheck doenst work lol

nnjhawk02 03-29-2006 10:41 AM

Re: My bike wont start?

Did U take off tank again to check to see if fuel line was not pinched?

Good luck

Loco 03-29-2006 11:53 AM

Sounds like a fuel issue.

1) Make sure the kill switch (handlebar) isn't off
2) Make sure all the lines, including vacuum lines, are attached properly.
3) Make sure the petcock is on and fuel is getting through. Easy way to do this, while messy, is pull off a fuel line at the petcock and if you get gas all over your hands, you've got fuel.
4) Give it a second, the fuel doesn't transfer immediately to the cylinders. It make take a few cranks, but don't ruin your battery trying for minutes.
5) Make sure you have gas in your tank

I'd say 90% chance your petcock isn't on, based on what you talked about.

Brian A 03-29-2006 12:07 PM

I can't remember??
Does the SH use the rubber line from the intake side of the carbs to provide pressure differential to open the diaphram in the fuel petcock?

I just can't remember. After dorking around with various bikes, my brain has failed me on that particular point on the SH.

If it does use the line (and I believe it does) you will NOT get gas flow out of the fuel petcock, even if the fuel supply is "on", UNLESS the required small rubber line is connected to the proper point down near the carbs.

Without the pressure applied to the diaphram, the diaphram will stay closed and no gas will flow.

Sounds to me like it ran just long enough to run all the gas out of the carb float bowls and then it died.

Open the drain screw at the bottom of the carb float bowls. I'll bet there is no gas there.

My guess is, you find the problem with fuel delivery to the carbs, and you wil be back in business!

RickB 03-29-2006 12:22 PM

sure sounds like a fuel problem... if you open the screw to drain the carb bowls and then crank the engine over more gas should come out of the drains - if not the petcock isn't allowing it to flow properly so double check that all the hoses are in the proper places and not kinked or otherwise damaged and you should be good to go.

By the way welcome to the forum!

Rick B
02 SH

RCVTR 03-29-2006 01:20 PM

I'm putting my money with Brian. Good call.

The vacuum hose that opens the valve in the fuel petcock connects to the intake port on the rear cylinder head, near the carb boot.

Make sure that vacuum hose goes to the connection on the back side of the fuel petcock. the valve won't open without vacuum.