SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Muffler Re-pack (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/muffler-re-pack-34538/)

xeris 05-24-2017 07:00 AM

Muffler Re-pack

In the process of cleaning up a well used Akrapovic system. The cans need re-packed. The material that was inside was a loose type of fill, long, wavy strands of fiberglass looking stuff.
It looks like the cans have been opened previously, so I'm guessing that this is not the OEM filler.
Anyone know what the OEM fill on these cans was?
Because of the claim of deep, throaty sound (though I have read conflicting stories) and the longevity of SS wool, I'm thing this is the way to go.
I want more than stock, but not obnoxious.
Here are some choices I have found:

or, with the loose fill stuffed around it.
stainless wool muffler packing

The perforated core has what I assume to be OEM, a fine mesh wrapped around it.

What do you say?

captainchaos 05-24-2017 02:59 PM

If you search "Akrapovic repack" there are OEM repack kits all over Ebay (and I'm sure elsewhere as well). Also googled the same and there are different options all over, including replacement sleeves. You may be able to do a little better than $60 a side with some other options but it is the original stuff and comes with rivets, new bands, decal, etc.. If you search deep into their website I know there are microfiches I've found in the past regarding part #s...

smokinjoe73 05-24-2017 07:02 PM

Actually, SS wool sounds super raspy and tinny. Harsh and hard sounding, not booming and throaty.

I experimented with it since I expected longer life but it sounded so tinny I redid them right away with fiber glass or ceramic stuff (FMF I think). Much bassier.

FYI wear long sleeves and gloves or you will be irritated for a week after the event.

waltr 05-26-2017 10:23 AM

Actually, SS wool sounds super raspy and tinny.
Joe it is interesting that you say that. I have not tried it on a motorcycle but I had a Mazda rotary pickup that I ported and put headers and a holly 4 barrel carburetor on. When I first started it after the exhaust install I hated it. It sounded like a big bore 2 stroke dirt bike. The company I bought the parts from sold a muffler that was basically a heavy duty glass pack but with stainless wool as the packing (they said a rotary blows out all the glass in a couple of minutes). I put one on and it took all of the raspy and tinny quality out. No ringy dingy note at all. Lasted for over 10 years with no trouble. I wonder what the difference is?

smokinjoe73 05-26-2017 12:31 PM

Way more sound damping of soft fiber than raspy steel.

xeris 05-26-2017 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 402392)
Way more sound damping of soft fiber than raspy steel.

Thanks for confirming what my gut feeling was.

skokievtr 05-26-2017 03:26 PM

I wrap the perforated core with SS wool and go over that with ceramic wool which will last forever but gets clogged with higher db being the result just like glass being blown and burned out. I posted up what I used and photos a long time ago.

smokinjoe73 05-26-2017 06:34 PM

I was mad I spent the day packing awful steel into 2 cans then had to spend the next day redoing the whole thing.

Never again.