SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   muffler question (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/muffler-question-31267/)

jscobey 10-15-2013 08:19 PM

muffler question

more of an aesthetic question but after my recent lowside crash, where the left side muffler basically took the brunt of the damage, i had to replace my 20" aluminum round hindle super sport. all i could find (after many hours of searching) was the stainless steel 20" round hindle super sport muffler. the "stainless" is high polished and very shiny. the aluminum us obviously a dull finish. i guess what im asking is if anyone knows a way to get one to match the other. one shiny and one dull looks a little odd so either both dull, or both shiny if that is possible. thanks in advance as always

7moore7 10-15-2013 08:27 PM

Probably not what you're going for, but you could consider shooting both of them with high temp paint. At least they'd be the same that way...?

VHT SP734 Gloss Black Brake Caliper High Temp Car Paint | eBay

jscobey 10-15-2013 08:44 PM

ha funny 7moore7 that was one of my first thoughts. where i work we actually sell hightemp engine paints and all the good stuff. just not sure what color i would do. i guess black would really be the only thing that would look decent. and i know what we sell comes in 600 degree and 2000 degree ratings so id prolly need the 2000 degree right? not sure how hot the actually get. i mean if there was a way to get the shiny stainless one to look like the aluminum that would be my first choice but short of that a black paint is my best bet i think

jerryh 10-16-2013 02:19 AM

Can't polish the aluminum?

insulinboy 10-16-2013 08:10 AM

Id agree, either polish the aluminum or take both of them to a grinder with a wire brush attachment and give them both the brushed metal look. I'm unsure if this would cause the steel to start to rust though.

Of course the high temp paint is also a good idea.. You remind me though why I like the Carbon fiber mufflers I have so much.. I hate polishing :lol:

jscobey 10-16-2013 08:50 AM

Will I be able to get the aluminum as shiny as the stainless from polishing?

msethhunter 10-16-2013 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by jscobey (Post 364027)
Will I be able to get the aluminum as shiny as the stainless from polishing?

Yes, but they won't look the same. I would send them off and get them Jet Hot coated.

Jet-Hot Ceramic Coatings

If money is an issue, just paint 'em. But take your time, and do it right so they look good and last.

jscobey 10-25-2013 09:47 AM

I polished the aluminum and it actually came out really nice. Hard to tell the difference between the stainless and the aluminum. I used mothers mag and alum polish. Great stuff! Thanks for the help guys

captainchaos 10-25-2013 09:49 AM

If you wet sand and polish them both properly you're not going to be able to tell them apart.

captainchaos 10-25-2013 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by msethhunter (Post 364028)
Yes, but they won't look the same.

If done properly why wouldn't they? If you grind, wet sand and polish any metal down to a mirror finish it's going to shine like chrome regardless of whether it's aluminum, stainless or even raw steel.

Wolverine 10-25-2013 07:39 PM

Agree'd captain, but scobey, the aluminum won't stay that way very long.

msethhunter 10-31-2013 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by captainchaos (Post 364449)
If done properly why wouldn't they? If you grind, wet sand and polish any metal down to a mirror finish it's going to shine like chrome regardless of whether it's aluminum, stainless or even raw steel.

While they will both look good, they will have a slightly different color. Stainless and aluminum are just barely different in color. Just a quick search and couldn't find stainless and aluminum side by side, but I did find polished aluminum and polished magnesium side by side, and the difference is obvious.

http://www.realrodderswheels.biz/01-TwoWheels-Color.jpg