SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   more comfortable bars instead of stock? :( (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/more-comfortable-bars-instead-stock-30232/)

Shane702 04-20-2013 09:08 PM

more comfortable bars instead of stock? :(

i've realized after riding for 10-15 minutes, the handlebars are to much at a v angle and arn't very comfortable to grip... i got better grips, but the angle of handlebars are really umcomfortable.. is there a way to change them? a good cheaper alternative?? what do you guys recommend on this?

Tweety 04-21-2013 04:28 AM

Unclamp the bars, grind off the tabs that locate them, and swivel them out, clamp down and you are good...

OR get bars for a VFR, certain years fit's nicely... Just do a search on the forum for the exact years...

matt365 04-21-2013 07:26 AM

Wow Tweety, you didn't give him the "use the search" answer???

-superbike bar mod
-VFR bar
-Helibars

Never tried grinding the mount tab myself.
Good tip Tweety.

cat0020 04-21-2013 08:19 AM

1998-2002 Honda VFR800 Intercepter handlebars would fit, other model years will not fit.

Tweety 04-21-2013 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by matt365 (Post 353247)
Wow Tweety, you didn't give him the "use the search" answer???

Me and Shane have done that dance already, and he has posted a few well thought out questions since then, so he gets points for that ... ;)

No, honestly... I only do that when the questin is so blatantly obvious that it's highly annoying...

icepick 04-21-2013 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by cat0020 (Post 353250)
1998-2002 Honda VFR800 Intercepter handlebars would fit, other model years will not fit.

The VFRDiscussion Group is a good place to scare some up. Lots of guys have made upgrades and have their old set sitting in the corner of the garage.

vfrdiscussion.com

Shane702 04-22-2013 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Tweety (Post 353237)
Unclamp the bars, grind off the tabs that locate them, and swivel them out, clamp down and you are good...

OR get bars for a VFR, certain years fit's nicely... Just do a search on the forum for the exact years...

tweety.. thank you.. I am looking at to purchasing 2 pitbull stand or vortex, or a 1500 lb motorcyle lift, it is on another thread if u wouldn't mind the input.

if you had a choice, would you grind the bars, or get the vfr bars? i dont mind buying new bars..

also I have seen apex 3" and 4" bars, is that the best of the best if I chose that later on? and is doing 4" a problem with wires or would it be ok?

thank you Marcus for helping me and yes I listened to our go around, I am getting alot of help, least I can do is make seperate threads and search before I ask certain questions, thank you for seeing that on my end...my bike is not running well and I am doing all these things to figure it out.
your superhawk newbie,
Shane

cat0020 04-22-2013 03:38 PM

Going 3" or 4" risers might require new brake/clutch lines... in addition to electrical wiring.

Have you tried using a tank bag that you can rest against while riding?

E.Marquez 04-22-2013 03:55 PM

You can change the angle of the stock bars as suggest. I did.

You can go with one of several different year VFR bars, I did.

You can buy taller fully adjustable bars that allow you to change the "grips" in any direction, up, down, forward, back, angle in both horizontal plane and vertical ... I DID :D

And I liked that choice the best.
APEX 4" riser bars http://www.apexmfg.com/products

Going to 4" rise will require new brake lines, everything else fit just fine, no stretch or strain.
And for truly useful adjustability of the bars, you'll need to trim the fairing, or lose a lot of turning radius.

HRCA#1 04-22-2013 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Shane702 (Post 353306)
tweety.. thank you.. I am looking at to purchasing 2 pitbull stand or vortex, or a 1500 lb motorcyle lift, it is on another thread if u wouldn't mind the input.

if you had a choice, would you grind the bars, or get the vfr bars? i dont mind buying new bars..

also I have seen apex 3" and 4" bars, is that the best of the best if I chose that later on? and is doing 4" a problem with wires or would it be ok?

thank you Marcus for helping me and yes I listened to our go around, I am getting alot of help, least I can do is make seperate threads and search before I ask certain questions, thank you for seeing that on my end...my bike is not running well and I am doing all these things to figure it out.
your superhawk newbie,
Shane

Why on earth would you need a 1500 lb motorcycle lift for a 450 lb motorcycle?

If you bike isn't running right why are you wasting time with adjustable or alternate clipon's?

Try to focus, if the bike isn't running right fix that or you won't need to worry about the controls!

jefejrs 04-22-2013 09:08 PM

Installed the 3" Apex risers and trimmed the fairing. Great product and the amount of adjustablity will have you messing with them for hours...

Shane702 04-22-2013 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by E.Marquez (Post 353313)
You can change the angle of the stock bars as suggest. I did.

You can go with one of several different year VFR bars, I did.

You can buy taller fully adjustable bars that allow you to change the "grips" in any direction, up, down, forward, back, angle in both horizontal plane and vertical ... I DID :D

And I liked that choice the best.
APEX 4" riser bars http://www.apexmfg.com/products

Going to 4" rise will require new brake lines, everything else fit just fine, no stretch or strain.
And for truly useful adjustability of the bars, you'll need to trim the fairing, or lose a lot of turning radius.

awesome!!! if I got the custom red galfer ss lines/ they were a little long, would those work? how much of a difference are we talking? by trimming fairing, is it a tough/hard/skilled job? or is it something simple? thanks alot marcus!

Shane702 04-22-2013 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by HRCA#1 (Post 353315)

If you bike isn't running right why are you wasting time with adjustable or alternate clipon's?

Try to focus, if the bike isn't running right fix that or you won't need to worry about the controls!

well its 65$ for it... i just thought it was a really good price for a lift that lifted that high.. i was wondering if it would work.. not because the weight limit.. 65$ was a good price to me..

i am picking up 2 pitbull stands tomorrow.. i ordered gasket sets and a few other things, got the different oilts/grease... i got some bench tables for the garage to lay the smaller parts out... i plan on taking apart alot of my bike and replacing seals/gaskets regreasing everything... i am going to check the tesnsioners and cct's... i believe the shop also replaced the cct's wrong.. becuz when i try to go, it doesn't torque right away, it hesitates.. and my carbs were synced almost perfectly(at least I think they were) because it throttled good and everything... but taking off it seems to not catch right away, making me start to think its off by a chain after reading... i have done alot of research, and asked many questions... i may have alot going on, but I have listened, not argued, followed directions... I ask questions because I do not know the answers or how to do it, I dont think i'm doing anything wrong by asking questions on different things, because it takes a week or 2 to get the parts, just like im getting a suspension built by jamie... i also plan on sending him the forks, because on the right side its up 8 notches, left side up 7 notches... my springs are at .90 and i weigh 170 lbs.. i also had a gold valve kit, all wheel bearing put in..they never put a new fork seal in, and i dont know how much fluid they used... so i also think my forks were set up wrong... so yes i have a few different questions/things going on... but they are connected or I do not know the problem because of inexperience.. so all the questions/answer combined is giving me a more overall view of the bike/problem going on... if i were to concentrate on 1 thing at a time, I would not have a wider view and I would fix 1 thing not knowing what other things do...

thanks alot markus and the other guy who(sorry I dont remember name) who gave me a better view, I will search tank bags next, if u liked the 4"apex bars the best, and they are very well liked by many, I would like to give that a try as long as my ss brake lines will reach, if not I will settle for 3" apex bars..

-Shane
6 month old rider/newbie/vtr owner

s4steve 04-23-2013 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by HRCA#1 (Post 353315)

....'Cos he might buy a small Harley one day?:p

Stevebis1 04-23-2013 03:42 AM

Shane - you really need to search around. This forum has been around for almost a decade and everything you have asked has been discussed and figured out. That doesn't mean we won't help you but it is so much more effective if you have some basic knowledge on a topic first.

And I agree with the "focus " comment. Get your bike running well first and then fuss with ergonomics and baubles. Good luck hope you get her sorted.

BTW I use VFR bars also. Just a small difference but if you only need a bit more upright then it's a cheap and easy mod

Shane702 04-23-2013 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Stevebis1 (Post 353358)
Shane - you really need to search around. This forum has been around for almost a decade and everything you have asked has been discussed and figured out. That doesn't mean we won't help you but it is so much more effective if you have some basic knowledge on a topic first.

And I agree with the "focus " comment. Get your bike running well first and then fuss with ergonomics and baubles. Good luck hope you get her sorted.

BTW I use VFR bars also. Just a small difference but if you only need a bit more upright then it's a cheap and easy mod

i have spent many many hours searching these forums... there are 1000 different opinions and ways of doing things... my questions are for the people who have been here for a decade that know the good and the bad, not people who are asking and being answered by someone 5 years ago, when in the last year something better has been made or thought of... more time is spent bickering about what someone said, how I ask a question or how its on the forum somewhere instead of just answering what I have asked, when I have spent the time to search, and take apart my bike... i have made many posts and learned, I am on a new subject and topic... IN MY OPINION, I am taking bike apart and doing a few things at once since I dont know the ACTUAL problem... i'm sorry i can't say this is the problem and I know how to fix it, if I did I would do it... obviously im asking certain questions to put the bike back together once, with everything done, to solve my issues... why am I being bitched at so much about searching, or being told how to do it a certain way, then at the end everyone answers my question to the original question... i am not trying to be rude, I am just saying im not some random guy who hasn't tried over and over again, i've spent over 1000$ and 3 different shops, had a bunch of work done 4 months ago with another 1500$ worth... im not just looking at my bike saying hmm i wonder this this and that... i'm asking certain questions because i've learned certain things and have alot more to learn, even people who have 5k-10k posts still learn shit here... so please... criticize me all you want, but at least you answered my question on ur opinion, that allows me to do a cheap mod for now and my goal being apex bars, i see all these posts like the guy who gave us a link to pat's paged, being bitched at for being lazy and not searching forums, then he posts 10 links and hawk has to tell them to shut up and not be rude for people to stop complaining about people asking questions already on forums, if everyone just knew where to look and its been here for 10 years, there wouldn't be a very active forum... sorry for the rant, I appreciate all the help everyone who has given it to me, I believe Marcus was the only one to actually tell me 2 weeks ago how I wrote my problem wrong, how to fix it, and how to ask questions, so i've followed those guidelines and now other people are unhappy with asking questions, i did a search and it looks like u've all asked questions I found the answer to on the search engine also... but its ok for you guys to ask questions because you wanted to know a certain question about your bike.. I guess certain people are special, and I am not worth having questions answered...
thanks to all who have helped me out, I have all the mods in my sig, #1 adapters for my pitbull stands being shipped, and all my seals/oil/maintence items on way due to people helping me and answering my questions to my situation, No I still do not know what it is exactly wrong with my bike, but after this week and after taking everything/cleaing/working on my bike I hope to have fixed the problem due to the MANY questions I have asked and the MANY problems/answer I have recieved.. I can now take my bike apart, look at all my notes and possible outcomes, and fix them all in the garage..thanks again, all in best intensions,
6 month old vtr owner, less than 5k riding experience, new rider,

Shane 25 Years old Las vegas, Nv 4th year apprentice in Electrician union #357

Shane702 04-23-2013 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by jefejrs (Post 353338)
Installed the 3" Apex risers and trimmed the fairing. Great product and the amount of adjustablity will have you messing with them for hours...

thanks alot mate, I think I will either go with 3" or 4" once I figure out if my ss lines will reach, appreciate the input!

-Shane

Shane702 04-23-2013 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by cat0020 (Post 353250)

thanks for input, I will see how cheap they are for now until I get more cash for apex bars, sargeant seat and muffler/mid pipes are next :).. already have JDM shock on way and scotts damper :)

Shane702 04-23-2013 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by s4steve (Post 353354)
....'Cos he might buy a small Harley one day?:p

it was used for motorcycles.. even tho motorcycles are light, they still used it for that... so i wasn't sure if it would fit or not for that cheap would have been nice... since I now know it wont fit... I am picking up 2 nice pitbull stands tom morning for 180$, 4 weeks old... and i ordered the stnd #1 adapter tonight so it should be here in 3-5 days so I can get my bike off ground and get the root of my dilema, :)

E.Marquez 04-23-2013 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Shane702 (Post 353339)
awesome!!! if I got the custom red galfer ss lines/ they were a little long, would those work? how much of a difference are we talking? by trimming fairing, is it a tough/hard/skilled job? or is it something simple? thanks alot marcus!

I used Galfer standard length replacement lines for several months.. Honestly it was a bad idea, as at full extension they were tight...and that was just on the lift. they likely could have extended a bit more from a wheelie or other cause of the road way dropping out from the wheel.

I ordered red galfer replacement lines +3 inches, and they are perfect now.

Trimming the fairing is not hard.. but you need to plan, draw lines, use masking tape, look at it a while, sleep on it, then come back and look some more.. it's a one shot deal, so get it right.
Once you have made the decision, you have to cut smoothly with no hesitation. I used a air cut off wheel and it zipped right through the plastic. There is a thread here someplace I made showing the task.

E.Marquez 04-23-2013 07:09 AM

Found the post I made reference the install of the Apex bars and trimming the fairing
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...compare-28808/
That was actually the second trimming for the taller Apex bars. I had already trimmed a bit for use of the VFR800 bars.. Which i suppose I no longer need if you're interested in them, make me an offer.

VtrInMtl 04-23-2013 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by E.Marquez (Post 353367)
the VFR800 bars.. Which i suppose I no longer need if you're interested in them, make me an offer.

If he doesn't want them I do!

matt365 04-23-2013 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Shane702 (Post 353363)
it was used for motorcycles.. even tho motorcycles are light, they still used it for that... so i wasn't sure if it would fit or not for that cheap would have been nice... since I now know it wont fit... I am picking up 2 nice pitbull stands tom morning for 180$, 4 weeks old... and i ordered the stnd #1 adapter tonight so it should be here in 3-5 days so I can get my bike off ground and get the root of my dilema, :)

Those 1500 lb bike stands aren't really used for a bike that has exhaust pipes running under the bike. They are more for dirtbikes and cruisers. The stands you have on order are the best bet for your hawk.

I've got one of those 1500 lb capable ones too. It makes a nice paperweight and takes up space in my shed real well.

I've used it a handful of times, but the bike isn't too secure on it. I strap it to the stand with pull straps, or put a rear stand under the swingarm to hold it steady.

wndsrfr48 04-24-2013 03:23 PM

Kudos to the Apex bars. Installed a 3" set a few weeks ago along with SS brake lines. Primo product. Primo set up

Shane702 04-25-2013 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by E.Marquez (Post 353367)
Found the post I made reference the install of the Apex bars and trimming the fairing
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...compare-28808/
That was actually the second trimming for the taller Apex bars. I had already trimmed a bit for use of the VFR800 bars.. Which i suppose I no longer need if you're interested in them, make me an offer.

Well thank you very much for the offer, I have no idea what someone would pay or what would be a good offer honestly, how much would you sell them to me for?do I also need to trim for the vfr bars?also how much of a difference between vfr, apex 3" and apex 4" are we talking...could u rate each of the 3 out of 10 so I can see which of the 3 id like to go with..if a vfr is 5 and the apex 4 is 10 I'd go that route, of apex 4 is slightly better than 3, then I'd rather go 3" so I do not have to purchase another set of red galfer ss lines...although I could sell to a member..also on the apex bars, does the triple clamp stay?i have a Scott's steering damper would that be affected by any of these modifications?? Thanks alot for information, I have learned so much info over last week...like my bikes ticking loose, I just read a post that the exhaust system gaskets get old and work and my bike has 35k from Europe so I bet me e are trashed..and few other things..sry for rambling, just happy becuZ I'm fixing alot of stuff that is making my bike suck, got pitbull stands, once adapter arrives a new transformation is about to happen..

1 more question tweety/hawk/ any other expert/knowledgeable person..the manual ccts I got had no gasket, also mechanic said lock tite is a stupid idea so didnt put it on and I noticed leak so he put tape..should I get a gasket seperate and add?or should I use blue lock tite!my entire bike is going to be taken apart, laid out nicely, cleaned, oiled, etc..I have all kinds of notes here, anymore additional information on things to look for/keep an eye on would help me so much...I want to check and replace everything while off, all at once, basically I want new everything maintence wise becuZ everything is so rusted and trashed and torn and filthy, so anything else to add, even random things u know night have a problem would help me greatly...

Thanks again, your new superhawk member/friend/new rider,
Shane 4th year electrical apprentice, 25 yrs old, love to learn

Shane702 04-25-2013 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by wndsrfr48 (Post 353502)
Kudos to the Apex bars. Installed a 3" set a few weeks ago along with SS brake lines. Primo product. Primo set up

Hey did you just order a regular set of ss lined for vtr with ur 3" apex bars?i already have my red ss galfer lines, they were for vtr model..and if so, how hard were they to put in? Did you go from stock to 3" apex bars? How much do you like them and how much more improved is riding around town?and how about freeway/over 100 mph?comfortable tucking under shield still??sorry for all questions, I want to make sure if I spend the money it's with it, I may get vfr bars, but I really want these apex 3" becuZ I ride my bike every day work 8 hrs and ride it homeX to and from work , so I really want to get rid of these horrible bars...thanks alot,
Shane

E.Marquez 04-25-2013 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Shane702 (Post 353614)
Well thank you very much for the offer, I have no idea what someone would pay or what would be a good offer honestly, how much would you sell them to me for?

I'll send you a PM in a few... Have a look at Ebay, search for VFR800 clip ons, you'll see going prices.

do I also need to trim for the vfr bars?

Yes and no..
I tried it without trimming for a while.. but in the rotation (position) I liked them best, they hit the fairing, and I did not like that, so trimmed,,,and was very happy.

how much of a difference between vfr, apex 3" and apex 4" are we talking...could u rate each of the 3 out of 10 so I can see which of the 3 id like to go with.

All I can say is, the VFR bars for what I paid were nice, no need for longer lines, and easy trimming of the fairing. They were perfect for several years. I liked them very much, A nice compromise between the lower weird angle OEM clip ons and what I wanted.

3 more deployments, many patrols, several IEDs blowing me up, mounted and dismounted.... last year I decided I wanted something a little taller or I was selling the bike.
So I went with 4" Apex bars.. Not inexpensive like VFR stuff, and it required more fairing trim plus longer brake lines.... but for me it was what I needed. \Honestly, I dislike them in some ways,,,makes me feel disconnected to the bike.. they are so tall, you feel like the bike falls into turns, and you have less control. They work for me as a compromise, as my other choice was sell the bike and try something with a designed in upright seating position.... Im not ready for that yet :eek:

.also on the apex bars, does the triple clamp stay?i have a Scott's steering damper would that be affected by any of these modifications??

The T clamp stays, will in no way affect a stabilizer.

1 more question tweety/hawk/ any other expert/knowledgeable person..the manual ccts I got had no gasket\

The MCCT needs to be sealed to the head.. some do it with an OEM gasket (APE), some have an O ring. whatever the design, they have to have something.

All of um leak down the threads from my experience.. even the ones with an o ring under the lock nut. I use a dab or non hardening sealant (three Bond case sealant) to stop that weap of oil.

jefejrs 04-25-2013 09:17 PM

shane, I have a scotts with the 3" apex and as stated no interference. Also have galfers standard length (i think, bought years ago) and no problems. you may have to route them alittle differently but they work.

It does take alittle getting used to the higher position but worth it. In some ways it almost feels like you have more leverage on the bars....

Shane702 04-26-2013 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by E.Marquez (Post 353618)
I'll send you a PM in a few... Have a look at Ebay, search for VFR800 clip ons, you'll see going prices.

Yes and no..
I tried it without trimming for a while.. but in the rotation (position) I liked them best, they hit the fairing, and I did not like that, so trimmed,,,and was very happy.

All I can say is, the VFR bars for what I paid were nice, no need for longer lines, and easy trimming of the fairing. They were perfect for several years. I liked them very much, A nice compromise between the lower weird angle OEM clip ons and what I wanted.

3 more deployments, many patrols, several IEDs blowing me up, mounted and dismounted.... last year I decided I wanted something a little taller or I was selling the bike.
So I went with 4" Apex bars.. Not inexpensive like VFR stuff, and it required more fairing trim plus longer brake lines.... but for me it was what I needed. \Honestly, I dislike them in some ways,,,makes me feel disconnected to the bike.. they are so tall, you feel like the bike falls into turns, and you have less control. They work for me as a compromise, as my other choice was sell the bike and try something with a designed in upright seating position.... Im not ready for that yet :eek:

The T clamp stays, will in no way affect a stabilizer.

The MCCT needs to be sealed to the head.. some do it with an OEM gasket (APE), some have an O ring. whatever the design, they have to have something.

All of um leak down the threads from my experience.. even the ones with an o ring under the lock nut. I use a dab or non hardening sealant (three Bond case sealant) to stop that weap of oil.

I will pm you paypal information now, I decided to go with his old vfr bars, if he used for years, I can still learn and be attached to bike, save myself alot of money, and learn on the bike with those, later on if I feel the need to upgrade I will, 1.75" and the big fact of the angle will make me very happy indeed, people wonder why I spent 300 on scotts steering damper.. well in las vegas, alot of roads/freeways are very bumpy and wavy, alot of ditches, so forth.. I feel if it keep the bike straight, especially hitting the unknown and being a new rider, it will keep my bike straight and absorb more of the unknown... I am sending my forks to jamie to get redone(can any verify 8 notches on the right, 7 notches on the left is way off for a 170 lb rider with gold valve kit, and .90 springs? i feel i've looked at alot of vtr pictures, and none seem to be even close to that high, my siler bars are all the way up!!!

thank you very much for that marq, I learned a whole lot in ur post, another question on the cct's, you say it must have something... In the cct's i purchased, they had only the cct's, nothing with them.. could they have been inside? or would the previous cct's have had one? i am currently ordering new exhaust gaskets, becuz i read that the copper's get eat up by something and go bad, especially have a 35k mile bike never well maintained(according to coolant look/oil look / rust everywhere) is there anything else to add? if it were your bike in this condition? bolts/nuts/washer any sort of gasket? should i do the clutch rebuild or break rebuild cylinder kits? anything at all you guys can add in? i have learned about using compressed air to blow the carbs and clean them, after i have replaced gaskets, and done all the maintence, I will clean carbs the proper way, and resync again, due to the gaskets in exhaust system having an affect on carb sync properly...

THANK YOU SO MUCH to all of you who have helped me... I have more questions, But i am going to do seperate threads to lesson the gibberish... anyone willing to help I would appreciate anything... i am going to take before picture of everything i do, and take apart.... this will be my contribution to this forum.. maybe someone gets another hawk, has alot of questions, 5 years of being outside, or whatever, maybe they have problems not able to know what it is like me, noises, weird shit, scary shit... maybe I will find a few things fucked up, gaskets torn etc that are affect my ride... I know doing this, taking the time, and cleaning/replacing will make my bike the way it should be...

THANKS,

SHANE

SIRR1 05-31-2013 11:32 PM

A few picks of my bar risers

4 Attachment(s)
Just a few picks of my bar risers which make the riding position much more comfortable on the Hawk.

I replaced the front brake lines with a set up from a Honda CBR600Fi due to the set can be broken down into 4 parts, 2 brakes line to the calipers, a splitter which take the 3 brake lines and allows a longer line to the handle bar, 1 line to the master cylider from the splitter which came off a Honda an old Honda GL1100 Goldwing..

I had a 50 inch clutch line made for 20 bucks on ebay.

The throttle cables came off a Honda VT1100 Spirit which IMO could be a little shorter I think they are 20 inches IIRC.

All of the stock wiring was just with a new line to the horn and a new extension for the running light plug.

The Handlebar risers are 3 inches and the Bars are Pro taper Fat Bars 1-1/8 in size.

I am using OEM throttle, brake and clutch master cylinders and grips, thats about it.

The Bars clear the fairing and can go from full left to full right without binding or touching.

I have done this set up on a CBR600F3 and CBR600F41 and both turned out so well I was paid to do the risers on 3 other Honda sportbikes.

SIRR1

SIRR1