SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Midweek MADNESS!!!! (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/midweek-madness-23429/)

Camelninja 08-09-2010 08:09 AM

Midweek MADNESS!!!!

Ok... so... the GF is leaving this week for a couple days to visit her parents and so the operations on the Shawk will begin. Up first, I bought a mint condition Firestorm tank to replace the current dented up tank. Second I was thinking about a PAIR disable coupled with a bafflectomy. Hopefully it will all go swimmingly. Does anyone know exactly what size hole saw I need for a 98 Shawk? Also, when I baffle-ectomied my last bike I had to adjust the fuel flow. Am I going to have to do that on the Shawk? I found the KB article on it so Im just going to follow that to the letter and hope.

Fozzy Bear 08-10-2010 12:15 AM

From memory ,I used a 53mm hole saw for the bafflectomy.

Its not essential to disable the PAIRs system. Makes no difference to the bike.

RWhisen 08-10-2010 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Fozzy Bear (Post 277292)
Its not essential to disable the PAIRs system. Makes no difference to the bike.

Only if you want to stop the popping on decel.

Camelninja 08-10-2010 10:32 AM

Yeah that's what I am trying to avoid. So any word on whether I have to adjust fuel flow because of a baffle-ectomy on this bike?

Tweety 08-10-2010 11:11 AM

Have to, no... Want to, yes...

Camelninja 08-10-2010 01:32 PM

are the instructions for adjusting the fuel included in the baffle-ectomy instructions? Im heading out to get the hole saw right now. :-)

Tweety 08-10-2010 01:39 PM

No, but since the instructions are simple, I can give you them here...

When not running right, change stuff...

And no, I'm not kidding... That's the most specific instructions you will get that is accurate... Start with the bafflectomy, go ride and come back with the symptoms and we will help you figure it out... But since we don't know how good your jetting is now and all the parameters, that's the best possible answer given the information...

hawxter996 08-11-2010 09:04 AM

Tweety eats noobies for dinner!

oh by the way you cannot use madness in your title.
that phrase is taken!

Tweety 08-11-2010 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by hawxter996 (Post 277474)
Tweety eats noobies for dinner!

oh by the way you cannot use madness in your title.
that phrase is taken!

Nah... "Eating noobies for dinner" would be to tell them there are no instructions...;) Which is actually true in a sense...

But it's till true, no set of instructions will ever cover all VTR's since no two of them are alike... I have worked on a bunch of them, and none of them are jetted the same, even though two of them still have the exact same aftermarket components...

Camelninja 08-11-2010 10:28 AM

ok... so I already hit a big snag. I went to every hardware store in town (2 Home Depots, 2 Lowes, and 2 Aces) and none of them have a deep enough hole saw to get around the middle pipe. Where did you guys get yours? and does anyone have theirs laying around collecting dust that I could buy off them?

hawxter996 08-11-2010 11:08 AM

i drilled a series of holes then finished with a sawzall.

Tweety 08-11-2010 11:48 AM

Drill holes, then use a mallet on the middle pipe and break the remaining parts... Wiggle it out per instructions... Clean it with the hole saw if you like, but a small grinder is better... I found the holesaw to be mostly annoying...

Camelninja 08-11-2010 03:23 PM

Ok so I drilled quite a few holes in the baffle with a 3/8 inch bit, I guess Ill get to cutting the baffle out completely some other time. It sounds a lot better already but Im never one to do things half way :-)

Duck007 08-11-2010 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by RWhisen (Post 277299)
Only if you want to stop the popping on decel.

I did the disable (flipped the reed valves) and it didn't do shit as far as stopping the popping on decel.

Tweety 08-11-2010 04:48 PM

Then you have other setup issues to investigate on your carbs...

Duck007 08-11-2010 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Tweety (Post 277584)
Then you have other setup issues to investigate on your carbs...

I was afraid of that...I'll have it checked out next time I have it in the shop.