SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   metal in coolant??? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/metal-coolant-28651/)

merckid 06-26-2012 09:38 PM

metal in coolant???

looking into my coolant over flow tank the other day i noticed what looks to be small shavings of Aluminum. It almost looks as someone dumped a bottle of radiator stop leak in the bike but i know it never has had any in it. I talked to the previous owner (autotech) to confirm this. I pulled the water pump cover off to inspect it for scoring and also checked the impeller for play in and out. Nothing on either. Anybody have an idea where this might have come from? Thanks in advance
merckid

saige 06-26-2012 09:49 PM

have you taken the clutch cover off,it could be behind the impeller where the seals sit and such.

comedo 06-27-2012 05:33 AM

Coolant flow into and out of the coolant tank is through the bottom of the tank. I can't understand how bits of metal which are heavier than water can flow up and into the coolant tank. The only flow that should be occuring is the result of coolant in the radiators and motor expanding when hot and contracting when cool. If there's no weeping from the water pump seal and the cooling system seems to be working properly, all I'd do, if I were keen, would be remove the fairing, drain the coolant tank, look for metal bits when the lower coolant hose is removed, reassemble and put in fresh coolant.

E.Marquez 06-27-2012 06:26 AM

Two ways I can think of..., and I have seen both..

If the water pump seal was replaced, installer may not have gotten the impeller depth correct, and impeller rubbed on pump cover... happens a lot,, as the depth setting is very precise.

Water pump bearings bad, impeller rubbing case or cover.

merckid 06-27-2012 11:21 AM

marquez, The water pump has never been replaced, the water pump cover had no damage to the inside, that is the first thing i checked. i also checked play in the impeller it self. No in and out movement, no front to back and no up and down movement. the only movement it had was rotation movement back and for which i contributed to a small amount of play in the chain behind the cover.

CrankenFine 06-27-2012 01:32 PM

I suspect manufacturing defect. I got a pristine 2002 all stock with 4000 miles on the clock and original coolant. When I went to change the coolant on principle I found mine also was completely contaminated with tiny flecks of aluminum.

smokinjoe73 06-27-2012 06:40 PM

At the very least I hope you changed out the coolant. Then you can watch for it to resurface.

merckid 06-27-2012 10:30 PM

i flushed and replaced with distilled water and water wetter. Not to sure how i like that mix yet...

CrankenFine 06-28-2012 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by merckid (Post 336576)
i flushed and replaced with distilled water and water wetter. Not to sure how i like that mix yet...

+1 on the distilled water flush, but I used Honda A/F 50/50 premix. So far no recurrence of contamination.

RCVTR 06-28-2012 08:06 AM

Water Wetter and water will work fine, as long as temps are above freezing.

99Hawkboy 09-03-2012 06:03 PM

Just checked my coolant overflow and it has a crap ton of aluminum flake in it. Same boat.. Never had water pump issues or overheating issues. Going to flush system out tomorrow. Distilled and water wetter works well for everyone here? I dont ride in cold weather.

CrankenFine 09-03-2012 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by 99Hawkboy (Post 341210)
I dont ride in cold weather.

Just so it's never exposed to freezing temps in storage.