SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Mass Centralization? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/mass-centralization-31455/)

CaryDG 12-09-2013 11:53 PM

Mass Centralization?

With the factories spending large budgets to centralize and lower mass to aid in handling performance I am wondering why some of us put High pipes on our SH's. We are taking 8-12 Lbs. and moving it up 8+ inches. This has to have an effect on handling. Is it a performance issue or just aesthetic?
I currently have low mount Yosh's but, I really like the look of high pipes. After raising the rear end to quicken the steering, which it did, I replaced the 8#+ lead acid batt. with a 2# Lithium ion. It was probably countered by replacing the OEM seat with an extremely heavy, but comfy, Corbin but, it seems quicker in side to side transitions.
Just a random "Old Guy" thought.

CrankenFine 12-10-2013 04:07 AM

I think technically you are probably correct. But for some of us who's faster days are behind us,:rolleyes: the aesthetic impact is worth the tradeoff to absolute maximum performance.

98VTRrider 12-10-2013 05:50 AM

Have you ever felt a stock muffler? They're very heavy. I'll bet high mount pipes offset the higher weight by being half the weight of the stock mufflers. I'm sure any aftermarket set of pipes are much lighter than stock.

7moore7 12-10-2013 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by 98VTRrider (Post 366130)
Have you ever felt a stock muffler? They're very heavy. I'll bet high mount pipes offset the higher weight by being half the weight of the stock mufflers. I'm sure any aftermarket set of pipes are much lighter than stock.

Well, yeah, but lower aftermarket pipes would offset that even more ;)
It's not like the two options are stock or high mount aftermarket.

FWIW I know a select few people use high mounts for swing arm swaps/mods as the low ones have interference issues in some areas. I'd say aesthetics are a part of the deal for sure though. I *think* longer pipes create more high end power at the expense of mid-range, so if anything they may still be an advantage for racers even with the higher mass.

insulinboy 12-10-2013 07:28 AM

originally high pipes were for ground clearence issues as the pipes were always the first part to drag the ground, then they just got higher and higher because it looked cool.. now the cans are down low again on modern race bikes for as you state preformance reasons

7moore7 12-10-2013 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by insulinboy (Post 366135)
now the cans are down low again on modern race bikes for as you state preformance reasons

Of course Buell was already doing this to production bikes in the 90's

bmidd 12-10-2013 09:57 AM

When they could keep them on the bike.

7moore7 12-10-2013 10:19 AM

Ah, the mass ejection feature. Lightens your bike as well as deters the enemy in pursuit.

insulinboy 12-10-2013 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by 7moore7 (Post 366142)
Ah, the mass ejection feature. Lightens your bike as well as deters the enemy in pursuit.

Where is the like post button on this forum :lol:

CaryDG 12-11-2013 06:19 PM

Trajectory vs accuracy

CrankenFine, you're right on, but, 7more7 is on to something! On the High/Low pipe placement which would provide better accuracy and/or trajectory against the aforementioned enemy?
Does anyone out there in SH land know of a quick release for these weapons of Mass destruction.:lol:

cybercarl 01-19-2014 05:37 PM

Why hasn't anyone mentioned aerodynamics.

Power News -- Advanced Aerodynamics

(:-})

7moore7 01-19-2014 05:58 PM

We don't have issues with aerodynamics in the U.S. Every time we try to update and enforce the laws of physics, one of the parties either fills the proposition with earmarks or filibusters it and it doesn't go through. On day we'll get it updated though and then we can start working on why these darned magnets do what they do.

VTR1000F 01-19-2014 06:12 PM

Magnets suck. What more do you need to know?