SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Jetting??? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/jetting-9847/)

VTwin996Rider 11-01-2006 09:14 AM

Jetting???

Hello to all...Looking for input and advice on carb jetting...My 02 hawk has High Mount Jardines with stock jetting,timing and filter...I have already done the tps calibration and removed the PAIR system...mine has hesitation at throttle snap but over all riding is not bad but in past experience I know this thing needs to be jetted.
Thanks.:confused:

Hawkrider 11-02-2006 09:43 AM

It all depends on where you live and what you've done to your bike. Check out some of these threads. The search tool is a wonderful thing....

I'm moving this to Technical.

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...searchid=15079

VTwin996Rider 11-02-2006 11:21 AM

Live at sea level and everything done to my 996 is listed in thread...just looking for some suggestions from you guys with past experience jetting these bikes and which kit is best reliable to use...

Hawkrider 11-02-2006 11:13 PM

Heh, duh... Guess it helps to read the thread, eh? :oops:

Okay, I lived in Norfolk for over 10 years. That's where I got my bike dialed in so this is easy.

Get a Factory jet kit, either 1.0 or 1.1 Ti. Use the stock #45 idle jets.
Mains: 185f/188r
Needles: clips in the middle position with stock washers underneath
Mixture screws: ~2.0 turns out

Will be slightly different for K&N but you said stock filter.

Hey, you been hangin' out with anyone down at the BP on Laskin and Atlantic at all? I left a bunch of ridin buddies when I moved up here to NY.

VTwin996Rider 11-03-2006 05:56 AM

Thanks Gregg...probably a dumb ? but what is the 1.0 or 1.1 Ti...Guess when I look into the Factory Kits I'll figure that out.

I grew up in Va. Beach so I know that spot very well but it's been awhile since I've hung out down there so I've lost contact with a few guys I used to hang with.

Gonna tear into my bike over the winter time so thats why I've been picken the brains of you guys that have already experimented and found what has worked best for you guys.

Appreciate the advice and I'll let ya know how it turns out when ever I get into it. I'll be glad to get rid of the hessitation mine has at quick throttle snap...seems like it's too lean cause it's not like that when choke is on.

Anywhoo...Later Bro
Chris

VTwin996Rider 11-03-2006 05:59 AM

O...I plan on installing a K&N filter while I'm in there So what ya think about the settings with the K&N...sorry...should of mentioned that...Oopsy...LOL

Hawkrider 11-03-2006 10:41 AM

Modify the above with K&N so needles are one position higher and mixture screws are 2.25 turns.

VTwin996Rider 11-03-2006 11:29 AM

Thanks for all the input and advice Greg...Very useful...O...sorry...did you have any issue with synchronization between the two carbs while having them apart...just querious...Anyways...I'll let ya know how it turns out.
Chris

Hawkrider 11-03-2006 10:28 PM

Generally, the carbs will fall out of sync a tiny bit every time you remove them from the bike. You should NOT attempt to seperate the carbs while off the bike. As a matter of fact, this should never have to be done. I hope that's not what you're implying. I don't think it is but wanted to be clear on this just in case. Syncing the carbs has to be done with the bike running and at normal operating temperature.

wormeater 11-09-2006 07:27 PM

For southern California, from coast to about 2000' elevation, I'm running 185f/188r mains, #50 idle jets, needles 1 clip rich from the middle position, no washers or anything. Mixture screws at 2 turns out, but this is just slightly lean right off idle, so maybe 1.5 turns out would be better. Idle cleans up above about 2000' but midrange starts to feel wet and a bit rich. Felt lean at first, but setting the float bowl level as indicated in the manual fixed that.

Moriwaki exhaust, TPS mod, stock air filter.

BTW, the jets I picked up from the local Yamaha shop, just asked for the right sizes, something like $2 each. Mains are somewhat shorter than the stock jets were, but this is on the top (the length below the float bowl fuel level is the same as the stock jets).

IMHO, jets is jets!

superbling 11-10-2006 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by VTwin996Rider (Post 34110)
Hello to all...Looking for input and advice on carb jetting...My 02 hawk has High Mount Jardines with stock jetting,timing and filter...I have already done the tps calibration and removed the PAIR system...mine has hesitation at throttle snap but over all riding is not bad but in past experience I know this thing needs to be jetted.
Thanks.:confused:

If removing carbs doesn't sound like a horrible thing to do (it's not hard, really), then you should try the free (or $2) shim-the-needles mod. Ultimately, real jetting may be in your future but I found I still needed to shim more to remove the 2.8-3k stumble.

uchi 10-10-2009 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkrider (Post 96260)
Heh, duh... Guess it helps to read the thread, eh? :oops:

Okay, I lived in Norfolk for over 10 years. That's where I got my bike dialed in so this is easy.

Get a Factory jet kit, either 1.0 or 1.1 Ti. Use the stock #45 idle jets.
Mains: 185f/188r
Needles: clips in the middle position with stock washers underneath
Mixture screws: ~2.0 turns out

Will be slightly different for K&N but you said stock filter.

Hey, you been hangin' out with anyone down at the BP on Laskin and Atlantic at all? I left a bunch of ridin buddies when I moved up here to NY.

Originally Posted by Hawkrider (Post 96298)
Modify the above with K&N so needles are one position higher and mixture screws are 2.25 turns.

great info, i live near toronto ontario and were at about 300 feet for elevation. im gonna be running a jardine high mount k&n filter filter and a dynojet stage1 kit, will my dynojet jets be the same number equivilance as the factory jet kit? and am i safe to use the same settings?