SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   A issue that maybe you all can help with (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/issue-maybe-you-all-can-help-28314/)

herbvtr1000f 05-17-2012 10:16 AM

A issue that maybe you all can help with

So i got a 98 vtr1000f on sunday. Rode it a hour to get it home. I get into my home town and I lose all power and everything shuts off. I check the main fuse and it is popped. I go get some new fuses and put in the fuse and when I plug the connector back in it pops instantly. Well i get it to my friends house who is a red level service tech for honda. We check that stator and make sure it fine. We then unplug the voltage regulator and put in a new fuse and it does not pop with the voltage regulator plugged in. Once we plug it is it pops. We unbolt the voltage regulator and also the ground that is plugged into there as well and with the ground unplugged we can plug the voltage regulator in and the fuse will not pop. Once we hose hook up the ground the fuse pops. If we leave the ground unplugged the bike will run just fine. We checked to make sure the battery was not getting over charged and when we have the bike running the voltage stays right at 12.6 and does not change when you rev it or not. So would that tell me my voltage regulator is bad? I thought I would ask you guys here before I go spending money on it. I know the voltage regulators are a big thing. Another question is, is that ground wire that is bolted to the voltage regulator for the voltage regulator to ground it out and will it hurt the bike with that unplugged? Thanks again everyone

GTS 05-17-2012 10:27 AM

Sounds like it's got an internal short to ground. I'd say that's most likely your problem. If you have a multi meter with a diode checking function you can check all the diodes between the yellow wires and the red and black wires. They should have continuity one way but not the other If they have continuity both ways then it's shot and that may be whats sending voltage to ground.

Also a little trick to not go through a ton of fuses while diognosing this is get a small circuit breaker. That way it'll pop and reset and you can keep using it rather than repacing a ton of fuses.

8541Hawk 05-17-2012 10:30 AM

The R\R is cooked. The fact that the voltage doesn't change also shows it is not charging.

So now you need to decide if you want to use a diode bride unit (stock) or a mosfet unit.

If you just want a replacement these guys have some pretty good prices: Regulator Rectifier, CDI Unit, Stator & Rev Box -

RWhisen 05-17-2012 10:42 AM

^^^^^^
+1

herbvtr1000f 05-17-2012 10:50 AM

thanks guys. Thats what m friend said about it that it is shorting it self out. IT just kinda sucks because I really wanted to enjoy the bike and have not been able to enjoy it since i got the bike. Anyways Thanks for all the responses. I am already loving this forum.

RWhisen 05-17-2012 11:20 AM

The R/R failure is a known problem with these bikes. Get that sorted, replace the CCTs and you'll have a dependable machine.

GTS 05-17-2012 02:26 PM

I know what you mean wanting to enjoy your bike. I've had mine for about 3 weeks now and in the first two days the CCT came out and it bent both front intake valves and broke the guides because the previous owner left the CCT bolts loose. Then this monday the drive chain broke on my way to work because the previous owner put a cheak POS chain on it. I got a new master link for it so I could at least ride it to work for a couple days until my new chain and sprockets showed up, which they just did today so they'll be going on tonight or tomorrow. So $625ish later I'm able to ride again! Heck that'd have almost paid off the loan I got for it after I get the money from my previous bike sold.