SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   inverted fork swap/radiator hoses (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/inverted-fork-swap-radiator-hoses-25594/)

hawknator 05-17-2011 08:03 AM

inverted fork swap/radiator hoses

Ok, so I just received my 929 forks and triples and am getting ready to do the swap. I have read many posts and my question is this: Instead of relocating the radiators to clear the hose clearance issue has anybody had any luck with modifying the radiators so the hose comes out on an elbow instead of staight out the side? Any insight would be greatly appreciated,Craig

evines 05-17-2011 09:14 AM

I haven't thought of that. I think it would be more trouble than just moving the radiators back about 3/4". It wasn't hard to just move them back.

If you figure out something though, I'm sure we'd be interested . . .

lazn 05-17-2011 09:16 AM

Umm.. Modifying the radiators would be FAR more difficult.

I didn't bother moving mine, they only hit at extreme lock (so never when riding, only in parking lots) and they flex so it is really an optional step in my mind.

Tweety 05-17-2011 09:23 AM

Since the whole problem isn't the actual hose, or the triple, no it won't help... But the simple fact that the triple hits the hose close to the inlet of the radiator, bending the hose sharply enough that it will eventually wear on the inlet, then no...

Putting an elbow on the inlet won't help, simply beause to make it possible to mount a hose on that elbow it has to stick out further from the radiator than it does today (about half the width of the hose)... At that point, you are mashing the triple into the metal elbow instead of the rubber hose... So no real improvement...

smokinjoe73 05-17-2011 10:29 AM

Yeah, the practical solution is moving the rads as it is WAY easier and sensible than diverting coolant flow for no reason.

lazn 05-17-2011 10:49 AM

I guess most people turn around at low speeds more often than I do. I can't remember the last time I turned the bars far enough to push on the hoses..

Personally when I need to turn the bike right around, I spin it on the kickstand.. simple, quick, and no back and forth.
YouTube - IPM Staff Bikes 2007 Suzuki Gsxr600 How to Spin Motorcycle

Though I grab the inside handle bar & frame, not the outside like he does.

evines 05-17-2011 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by lazn (Post 303068)
I guess most people turn around at low speeds more often than I do. I can't remember the last time I turned the bars far enough to push on the hoses..

I park in a tight multi-level parking garage every day, so I occasionally hit the stops (and almost drop the bike as a result).

I moved my radiators back. That was probably the easiest part of the front end swap for me, but also the part I was the most hesitant about before attempting it.

I've thought about trying to spin my bike around on the sidestand, but I'm worried I'll bend or break the stand. It already wobbles a little more than I'd like.

Tweety 05-17-2011 02:44 PM

Same for me, parkning neccesitates tight turns... But moving the rads, in combination with adjusted stops solved all problems...

I really don't see how cutting and welding on the radiators are preferrable to moving them... One means welding, the other means a few spacers and trimming hoses, all of which can be returned to stock effortless...

hawknator 05-17-2011 04:37 PM

thanx for all the input-as usual I tend to overthink things sometimes but I would rather ask than just keep wondering. A buddy of mine owns a radiator repair shop and I could get it done for a few beers so who knows I guess I will post when I get it done. Over and out,over

lazn 05-18-2011 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by evines (Post 303074)
I've thought about trying to spin my bike around on the sidestand, but I'm worried I'll bend or break the stand. It already wobbles a little more than I'd like.

Really? Mine & Yruyur's stands don't wobble at all, and we both turn them as needed on the stand. (he used to live in an apartment years ago and did it often)

smokinjoe73 05-18-2011 07:03 AM

I did the stand flip for years but my stand was (is)a bit wobbly. I don't do it now because I have an extension on it due to a penske shock with more ride ht and I dont know if the plate can take it.