SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Intermittent idle stall on a newer hawk (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/intermittent-idle-stall-newer-hawk-9463/)

2005Hawk2006 09-03-2006 12:27 PM

Intermittent idle stall on a newer hawk

New to the forum, this is a great site, kudos to all the participants.

I just bought a brand new 2005 Hawk a couple of months ago. I had an F3 before, so the V-twin is new to me. I love the way it sounds and especially the low end torque on it:mrgreen: .

My hawk has 1100 miles on it now. I am having a problem when it is idling. It seems to hickup, basically starts to stall or stalls. It always starts right back up if it requires it. But it does happen again. I have adjusted the idle speed with the screw on the right side to to the upper range of the factory recommended idle speed, this helped but stalling or hickuping will still occur.

The dealer I bought it from is two hours away, so taking it back for warranty servicing is very inconvienent. A local honda dealer said the hawk probablly was not prepped correctly and the carbs need to be cleaned. I am waiting on a call back form the dealer I purchased it from. Does anyone have any advice for anything I can do techinically or to get correct service from the dealer? I also read a post about lubricating the carb slide, but that seemed to apply to hawks with more miles.

Thanks,
Brad

nineighthawk 09-03-2006 01:39 PM

Most SH's do that from time to time. I cured mine by putting an extended runner on the fwd. carb.
Alot of the time, putting on a K&N will cause the "clunk die" scenerio.

Try increasing the idle to 13 - 1500. Just turn the Idle adjusting knob in 1/2 or 3/4 turn. That might help.

nineighthawk 09-03-2006 01:40 PM

Oh, and welcome to the forum. :)

Hawkrider 09-03-2006 02:25 PM

You need a good carb sync and adjust the idle mixture screws to 1.75-2.0 turns out. Raising the idle will only hide the symptoms, not cure the cause.

2005Hawk2006 09-04-2006 12:45 PM

I have an online Honda service manual that I downloaded. From what I have read a carb sync seems quite simple, but where is the place to get the pressure guages for the reading of the lines. Also where is the place to get a specialty tool for the idle mixture screw. I have an '05 so I would assume that I have the special shaped screw head?

Thanks Greg

Nanotech 09-04-2006 04:05 PM

I have an '05 as well and just clicked past 3200 mi....it has been "hickuping" for the last 1000 mi for me also. Not always, but occasionally at stoplights and only when idling. Mine is set at 1400 rpm idle, and runs perfectly, but it is annoying to hear the hickup even if it isn't affecting performance.

Nanotech 09-04-2006 04:06 PM

hiccup...just looked kinda funny the other way and was bothering me :)

A Team 09-04-2006 09:24 PM

I have an 05 with 3300 miles on it. I only notice the problem when I put cheap gas in it. When I fill up (87 octane) at cheveron or 76 it seems fine. However, when I go to the no name gas stations it will pop and die every once and awhile.
It works for me.

2005Hawk2006 09-05-2006 01:51 AM

I wish that was it - I only put in 93 Octane. And I know never to fill up when the tanker is putting gas in the underground tanks becasue it stirs up the setiment.

hawxter996 09-05-2006 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
You need a good carb sync and adjust the idle mixture screws to 1.75-2.0 turns out. Raising the idle will only hide the symptoms, not cure the cause.

hello greg that is what i found with mine.
simply backing the idle mixture screws out slightly cured my stalling probs.

Hawkrider 09-05-2006 09:04 AM

I've no idea where to get the mixture screw tool, other than the $125 that Honda has, but then you don't need to remove the carbs to use that one. You could always go by the dealer with a box of Dunkin Donuts and get in good with the service guys there. That's what I did. :) Factory Pro has them in their jet kits. You might contact them to see if they sell separately.

2005Hawk2006 09-06-2006 11:24 AM

Thanks fellas for your help!

Brad

senecagreen 09-14-2006 06:52 PM

adjusting the idle mixture screws cured my 05.

Hawkrider 09-14-2006 08:45 PM

See, I wouldn't lie to ya'! Always here to help my fellow 'Hawkers.

SillyHawk 09-14-2006 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
I've no idea where to get the mixture screw tool, other than the $125 that Honda has, but then you don't need to remove the carbs to use that one. You could always go by the dealer with a box of Dunkin Donuts and get in good with the service guys there. That's what I did. :) Factory Pro has them in their jet kits. You might contact them to see if they sell separately.

No Dunkin Donuts out here...sob sob