SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   (Installing!) VTR1000 SP1 wheels on my Superhawk? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/installing-vtr1000-sp1-wheels-my-superhawk-7656/)

mdbuehler 09-27-2005 10:49 PM

(Almost done!) VTR1000 SP1 wheels on my Superhawk?

A client I do computer work for (who works with OZ) was able to get me the last set of HL02s they made, which is great since I've been after a set for a loooong time now and was bummed when they suddenly quit making bike wheels.

http://www.t5net.de/tips/zubehoer/oz...l02-rear-s.jpg http://www.t5net.de/tips/zubehoer/oz...02-front-s.jpg

They are soooooo light!! :)

The problem that we just realized is they're for the VTR1000-SP1, which is actually the RC51? (I thought that was the RVT 1000)? I've done some searching but can't find anything on wheel swaps between the RC51 and the Superhawk. I can tell the axle diameter is off (I'll need different bearings) and the brakes take a totally different rotor. For the rear, axle size wront too, and the whole sprocket and cush drive assembly doesn't match up.

These look very similiar in dimension to the CBR900, so I'm going to do some swapping between my friends 2000 CBR, the OZ's and the Hawk. I'm wondering has anybody tried something like this before? If I get RC51 rotors and new bearings will the rotors line up to the calipers in the front or rear?

Any help appreciated, and I'll post results from my checks and measurements.

Thanks!

cdyer77 09-28-2005 05:32 AM

in a word, no!

front disk are larger on the RC, so forks wont work, rear caliper mount is different, along with axle, spacers, rotor, etc.

superhawk22 09-28-2005 06:56 AM

cdyer is correct, I have an RC51 wheel on the front of my bike but only because I have GSXR 1000 forks,(same size rotors). The only way around that would be, 1. make a spacer,(which you could probably get through a brake company ebc, galfer etc.) because they make 320mm conversions for the hawk. Or, 2. get a RC51 frontend.

As far as the rear goes those wheels are 6" ours are 5.5" so you'd have to do some spacer work min. and that's if the brake caliper lined up. You could always be a guinea pig and see if you could retro fit a RC51 swingarm.

Oh and as far as the 900rr those have 5.5" rear as well. The 929/954 has 6" wheel in the back.

mdbuehler 09-28-2005 11:14 AM

Re: VTR1000 SP1 wheels on my Superhawk?

Just pinged my friend, its a 2000 929. Checked with a brake shop, and they do have a spacer provided the rotor is a 320mm and the bolt spacing is 65mm on mine. Wandering down to the garage to check that :)

As for the rear, I think the rotor is the same from what I've read, its the rest that will prove interesting.

superhawk22 09-28-2005 12:25 PM

The rotors, axle and therfore bearings are larger on the 929 than the RC51, hope this helps.

mdbuehler 09-28-2005 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by superhawk22";p=&quot (Post 11243)
The rotors, axle and therfore bearings are larger on the 929 than the RC51, hope this helps.

Going to be taking LOTS of measurements it'd seem :)

The RC51 rotor and the 929 rotor have the exact same bolt pattern from what I've read and seen, there's just a 10mm or so different in the diameter. I'll just go with 929 brake discs as I'd guess they are quite a bit cheaper and more available used. They don't make a caliper spacer for the VTR that I could find, but after looking at some online I know somebody who can fabricate me a pair no problem.

Looks like I get the 929 tonight so I can get to tinkering soon!

superhawk22 09-28-2005 05:03 PM

Good luck with that, but I know someone makes or used to make one. Someone here has a 320mm conversion on stock forks can't remember who though.

inderocker 09-28-2005 11:52 PM

those rims are hot!

mdbuehler 10-02-2005 12:13 AM

Re: VTR1000 SP1 wheels on my Superhawk?

Here's a set of numbers, as the wheels are suppose to bolt straight up to the 929 so I'm assuming the numbers will be the same between the two. Working on the more difficult rear wheel first. Brake rotor is the same on both bikes.

On the CBR 929:

Axle : 25 mm
Rear brake axle (spacer) 22 mm
Rotor to wheel center : 84 mm
Sprocket to wheel center : 123 mm

On the VTR:

Axle : 20 mm
Rear brake axle (spacer) 25 mm
Rotor to wheel center : 82 mm
Sprocket to wheel center : 120 mm

The big question is how best to make sure its centered? Fitted up to the VTR, the CBR wheel has no clearance problems with the chain and tire, but to get the chain to line up more or less straight, the brake rotor runs into a nub on the caliper bracket (that will dremel off easily). It looks like the only thing needed is spacers once I have it centered and the new bearings in.

Thoughts? How in line must the chain be, is visually OK? How do I center the wheel best?

Thanks much!

http://mafat.ath.cx/wheelswap.jpg

superhawk22 10-02-2005 08:50 AM

NO. Go buy yourself a $20 alignment tool, otherwise it won't handle correctly and it will wear quickly. It hooks to the chain and has a straight piece pointing out line that up with the middle of the chain. You could move mounting bracket for brakes but you can't really move the sprocket.

mdbuehler 10-02-2005 11:23 AM

Re: (Measurements!) VTR1000 SP1 wheels on my Superhawk?

Thanks, will do! Looks like bad news on the front. Rotor to rotor on the 929 is 142mm, but its only 136mm on the vtr. Relocating the calipers was doable, but I don't think the wheel with rotors will even fit between the front forks.

superhawk22 10-02-2005 03:01 PM

That sucks, oh well rc51 front end here we come, or sell them off. Sooo how much did you say you paid? :lol:

mdbuehler 10-02-2005 08:34 PM

Hunting down the parts for a 929 front end right now, figure it'll be cheaper and easier to find then an RC51 :) I got the wheels in exchange for some work on a website, so technically I paid nothing 8)

superhawk22 10-02-2005 08:43 PM

If you plan on 929 there's a little more work than the RC51. The biggest diference being the length of the forks and the size of the rotors. The problem this causes is you'll need to use helibars or some other form of higher bar because you'll lose too much length if you mount them on top. If you mount reg. clip-ons under they hit the fairing. The ultimate choice is yours but here's a little more info for you.

https://www.superhawkforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=54

superhawk22 10-02-2005 09:05 PM

A little expensive but it has most of the set up, race tech'd forks, axle, triples, head bearings and calipers. That would leave rotors, fender and bars and you could use any 50mm clip-ons mounted on top.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-...spagenameZWD1V

If you wait you can find cheaper ones, last week one went for $205.

mdbuehler 10-02-2005 10:50 PM

Thanks much! Looks like RC51 is the way to go since it'll make no work needed on the front wheel fitment either. I'll be keeping an eye out now :)

NOrrTH 10-03-2005 10:37 AM

A whole set up went for $205????? Dam, I woulda bought that :cry:

superhawk22 10-03-2005 04:17 PM

Yeah tell me about it, I ended up spending a lot more than that. :cry: You just have to keep your eyes peeled.

mdbuehler 10-04-2005 10:55 PM

Moooooore numbers!

Spacer to spacer on complete wheel:
CBR: 233.5 mm
VTR: 226.5 mm

Rear brake spacer:
CBR: 22.0 mm
VTR: 24.5 mm

Sprocket side spacer and depth into wheel:
CBR : 12mm 7mm
VTR: 14mm 7mm

Brake side spacer and depth into wheel:
CBR: 13.5mm 7.0mm
VTR: 13.5mm 8.5mm

Looking at it closer now it is even better then it seemed. I needed to move the sprocket about 3mm in to keep it aligned. Looking at the sprocket, its stepped on the outside about 4mm and the flat side is mounted to the cush drive assembly :) By simpy flipping that over thats essentially taken care of!

By removing 1.5mm of material from the outer edge of the brake caliper mount and getting a spacer that is 1.5mm less then stock, the other side should align as well. With an 8mm spacer on the sprocket side (it'll just barely clear the bearing) it should all go right together. If the sprocket is too far in that this point, I can easily bring it out with some really flat washers.

Hope to have the washers and spacers together in a few days.... :)

superhawk22 10-05-2005 06:35 AM

:cool: Keep us posted and when your done you might want to put a new post of final product and pics of what you did and how. I'm sure there are plenty of others that would be interested in this mod.

mdbuehler 10-05-2005 09:56 PM

Will do. I'll get the final specs on the new spacers as well.

mdbuehler 11-28-2005 04:28 PM

Bought a house (FINALLY my own garage to do with as I please!!) so this got held up a bit. Back at it now!

Front forks to a cbr 929 just arrived, along with the lower triple and front wheel rotors. Upper triple, bearings, rear brake and axle still on the way here.

Soon... Soon... :)

superhawk22 11-28-2005 08:26 PM

Good to hear, I was wondering how it was coming.

SillyHawk 11-28-2005 10:41 PM

a house at 28 NICE!! wish i could do that in So Cal. i think i will move to Washington or Oregon maybe i can get a house and a garage there

mdbuehler 11-29-2005 02:45 PM

Upper triple clamp just arrived too :) Keep 'em coming Fed Ex!

Not sure how anybody gets a house in California! Cost an arm and a leg just to get within 35 minutes of downtown Seattle in a neighborhood you aren't afraid to walk in at night!

Just finished epoxy coating my garage floor (slate gray, looks great!). Now to finish sheetrocking, run a few more power outlets, then paint it... Much to do :)

mdbuehler 01-11-2006 10:27 PM

Annnnnnnnnnnd I'm underway! ;) Bike is currently hanging from the rafters with the 929 front end on. Not going as smooth as I hoped on the front. Questions:

The bearings for the tree seem the same, and as my Superhawk ones were brand new, I just used them. Seems snug, so that OK?

The Hawk calipers match up almost perfect (need to dremel a smidge off the reflector mount). Will those align allright? Or are 929 calipers a must? I'll know better when I get the rotors on the wheel.

Front wheel is on, but sadly there is a few mm of side play. Looks like I'll need some custom spacers for these wheels afterall :? My though was literally a few washers, adding to each side until centered and snug. Any flaws with that idea?

Feels good to be wrenching on something at least! :)

superhawk22 01-12-2006 07:54 AM

I would say the bearings should be fine, I personally went with 929 tapered race bearings and they fit the head with no prob.

Calipers I can't help you with, they might have clearence problems with the larger rotors but I'm not sure. With my Gsxr forks I couldn't use them because they rubbed the rotor and the 929 has larger rotors but the mounts might be different.

As far as the spacers, get some spacer stock off Ebay or whatever and cut it to size. the best way is to line up the rotors and calipers, measure and cut. It sounds hard but it's not.

mdbuehler 01-12-2006 08:02 AM

Re: (Installing!) VTR1000 SP1 wheels on my Superhawk?

:oops:

Just came back from the garage. Stepped collar goes on the LEFT and the regular one goes on the RIGHT. My wheel is on correctly now, centered with no play, thank goodness for the Ron Ayers online microfiche :lol:

I'll dremel that mm of material off the reflector mount and try the stock calipers. Worst case, back to ebay!

The brake rotor bolts (suppose to be same for RC51, 929 and Hawk) seem loose on these wheels even when well threaded in. Might hit the hardware store and see if OZ didn't stick with the stock size on those.

Will try and get some pics up soon. Hope that rafter can hold the bike for a few days!

superhawk22 01-12-2006 08:13 AM

Douh!! That is embarassing. Good luck and don't bring your roof down!

RCVTR 01-12-2006 10:45 AM

I just read this thread for the first time. You're in it now!

As far as the wheel play on the front, the front axle works like this: The large bolt pulls the axle to the right compressing the stack of spacers, wheel bearings and a spacer between the bearings. so you want to tighten the large bolt before you clamp the axle with the pinch bolts. That should eliminate any possibility of front play. My guess is that the stock RC51 spacers will work in the 929 forks, but I may be wrong. If not you should only need to change the right spacer, because it sets the wheel centerline in the above described scenario.

As far as head bearings, when I put RC51 forks on, the VTR bearings would bind up and the RC51 bearings worked ok. So there are differences, probably different ball diameters. If you could replace the inner races the VTR bearings would probably work ok. I didn't like the incompatibility, so I installed a set of tapered roller bearings from All Balls Racing. Much better. Only $45.

You are right about the rear wheel spacers.

I'm not sure how the VTR calipers will work. The RC51/929/954/F4i calipers have a larger piston diamter. If you change, you'll want to change master cylinder as well. One of our members used the 929 master cylinder and VTR calipers and liked the change.
Also, the 929 has larger rotors, so the calipers might not line up on 929 forks with RC51 rotors.

My rafters were happy to hold mine!
See "my work in progress" in Member's Rides.
Good Luck!
Rand