SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Inner tube? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/inner-tube-30675/)

smokinjoe73 06-29-2013 01:03 PM

Inner tube?

Has anyone ever attempted to fit an inner tube on a sport bike? After the 2 diff tire thread I am guessing no, but if you have, let me know.

It look like I just need to know the stock rear tire width.

sorny 06-29-2013 03:45 PM

Man you're really gonna piss people off with that one. Now start a thread debating car oil vs motorcycle oil.

NHSH 06-29-2013 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 358019)
Has anyone ever attempted to fit an inner tube on a sport bike? After the 2 diff tire thread I am guessing no, but if you have, let me know.

It look like I just need to know the stock rear tire width.

I did while living in Brooklyn (Crookyn) NY, I had a brand new rear tire that suffered many many punctures due to vandalism act, so instead of trying to plug all of them, I inserted a tube and rode it for about two more years with no issues what so ever, lots of Bear mountain & Seven lakes hard rides, on the street no issues, but wouldn't recommend that on the track, or if you ride 200 MPH on your average commute :)
I used it on a rear CBR900 wheel 6" and the size was 5.10 17 I believe.

Cheers

smokinjoe73 06-29-2013 08:25 PM

NHSH YESS!!! That is the kind of 411 I am talking about. No spooky wives tales of someones 2nd cousin having a catastrophic whatever.

Just plain old streets-of-NYC real knowledge. Thanks. That is my exact situation.

Its on! The tube search begins. Or at least continues with renewed vigor.

NHSH 06-29-2013 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 358052)
NHSH YESS!!! That is the kind of 411 I am talking about. No spooky wives tales of someones 2nd cousin having a catastrophic whatever.

Just plain old streets-of-NYC real knowledge. Thanks. That is my exact situation.

Its on! The tube search begins. Or at least continues with renewed vigor.

Joe, if you going to do that yourself and never did tubes, you only need to get one side of the tire out of the rim, take the air valve out. If it's all rubber, just cut it at the base, don't waste time to save it, they are dirt cheap, same as car valves, pump some air in the tube before you mount the tire on the rim, just enough for the tube to get a little into shape, that way there is less chance that you puncture the tube while mounting, and use lots of soup water.
Hope that helps

smokinjoe73 06-30-2013 05:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yeah, thanks man that helps. I am for sure doing it myself. I guess tomorrow I will call around the city for a tube, if I order one I gotta wait too long.

Hoping someone has one. Will update this monumentous undertakng. Oh and I also ordered a brand new rear tire as a back-up plan.

KCCO 06-30-2013 11:32 AM

If you are new to the tube world this video may help quite a bit..
.. Changing tubes is a monthly occurrence with my dirt buddies.... Sharp rocks like to eat them for some reason haha. Also as a side thought, would you need a rim lock for this application?