SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   I'm Puzzled... (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/im-puzzled-7442/)

Str8away Hater 08-03-2005 08:04 PM

I'm Puzzled...

Hello all. I could use some help. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but I'm having trouble tracking this coolant leak.

Background: I wrecked the bike 12-04. No damage to the right radiator although I did remove it while repairing the bike to tighten the fan blade. I had put about 400 miles on the bike after repairing with no leaks before noticing this.

Situation: Early one Sunday morning I go for a ride. Ambient air temp. aprox 70F. After riding about 20 min. I get to my friends house and notice a small puddle of coolant under the bike. Check everything out and don't see a thing. Keeping a close eye on it I ride locally with no signs of leakage. I put about 800 miles on it again with no leakage.

Early Sunday morning 2 weeks later, go for a ride, ambient air temp 70F. On the way to friends house after riding 5-10 min. right leg and boot get wet with coolant. So I returned home to check it out fairings off this time!

I can find no source of leaking. All hoses are in good shape with tight connections. Radiator shows no signs of leaking.

My hypothesis: 1. Weak radiator cap, and as pressure builds a little blows off. 2. Sticking thermostat may cause elevated pressure and blow past the cap a bit. 3. Combination of slightly weak cap with barley sticking thermostat that just happens to coincide from time to time.

Any other suggestions? Anyone have a similar occurance?

BeerHunter 08-03-2005 10:01 PM

What year model is your Superhawk?

I'm betting it's a '98

Str8away Hater 08-04-2005 11:23 AM

Re: I'm Puzzled...

Yes it is a '98 SuperHawk... and has around 17k on the odo.

Uh-oh does this mean there is an issue with them I wasn't aware of?

I've been thinking on this one for a while and still coming up empty handed...

superbling 08-04-2005 11:58 AM

If Beerhunter is alluding to the "weephole issue" of the first bikes, it was a slight drible out of the ride side engine cover and no where near the amount of fluid you're talking about.

Based on my experience with a wrecked VFR with side rads, I'd really check the radiator again. Your mentioning that the fan was bent leads me to believe you have a leak on the inside surface of the rad you can't see. The fluid will evaporate off when the leak is slow so you won't see it much of the time.

Have it pressure tested for leaks at your local rad shop.

superhawk22 08-04-2005 07:59 PM

I would bring the whole bike so they can pressure test the whole system. They should have the adapters to do it and that way you know you don't have a loose clamp or pin hole in a hose or something too small to see.