SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Ignition Module (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/ignition-module-29319/)

jdobeckj 10-19-2012 05:55 PM

Ignition Module

I was wondering if there was ANY way to reasonably
check the ignition module. I would like to see if it is working correctly, providing all that it designed to.. After going through that whole bike, replacing and repairing most everything from the top down the only piece of equipment I have Not dickered with is the ignition module. I had a strong conversation with a seasoned motorcycle technician in Southern California and he directed me back to the module after listening to all my symptoms and corrections.
Any ideas or experiences?
Josh

smokinjoe73 10-19-2012 07:03 PM

Nope.

There is no reasonable way to check all its functions. When I had issues with mine (tach wouldnt work) I broke down and took it to a Honda dealer (I was at wits end). They did a bunch of diagnostics and said it was the ICU but I would have to try a working one.

Found one on ebay and all has been well since.

jdobeckj 10-19-2012 07:13 PM

in a word.... :(

$$$$$$
Thank you SJ..

smokinjoe73 10-19-2012 07:50 PM

A) Thats not a word, and 2) check ebay, they can be found kinda cheap compared to new. (and I am cheap)

jdobeckj 10-20-2012 08:41 AM

??? This morning I was going to roll down to our local motorcycle boneyard and see if i might be able to find the Module, is there a compatible
unit maybe from another bike model I could use as well??

Wicky 10-20-2012 08:59 AM

Find the Ign Module part no. for your year and copy&paste it into the 'Where Used - Input a OEM part number to find out where it fits.' search pane.

Ronayers.com Microfiche Honda>Motorcycle>1999>VTR1000F

but don't hold much hope that any other Honda will suit...

smokinjoe73 10-20-2012 09:07 AM

I gotta say no way due to the very specific parameters of the motor, ignition, gearing etc. Kinda no chance of crossover of that into. TMK even the varadero in euroland had diff box.

There just arent many VTRs on the planet so fleabay is gonna save you if you let it.

smokinjoe73 10-20-2012 09:09 AM

Unless you are bonkos you should already be wailing on the buy it now button for this one. DIRT cheap.

98 97 05 Honda Superhawk VTR 1000 F ECU CDI Box ECM Computer Free Shipping | eBay

jdobeckj 10-20-2012 12:57 PM

Went down to the Boneyard and found a RUNNING in (OK) condition 99 hawk. myself and the yard manager went out to the hawk and tried both sets of modules.. The ones that were on the bike and mine, the bike gave similar results and decided that the ignition amplifier was failing under load, "the smaller box with the 6 pack wire connector". we made a deal and he gave me the one off the junkyard hawk, went home and connected up everything. she fires strong.. but here is something.. WITHOUT air filtration she has NO ISSUES, with filtration she boggs down...?????

Wicky 10-20-2012 01:19 PM

e gave me the one off the junkyard hawk, went home and connected up everything. she fires strong
Good to hear that's sorted that problem

Time for a new airfilter?

jdobeckj 10-20-2012 01:24 PM

YEAH.... (like rainman) This whole month has been a disaster.. but I learned soooo much in the process.

smokinjoe73 10-20-2012 02:41 PM

The plot thickens. Under load with no air filter on any type of ride no problem? Or are you just reving it stationary? Maybe you should make another "deal" with the junkyard dog for an air filter

jdobeckj 10-20-2012 05:50 PM

Ladies and gentlemen, I have concluded this chapter, After a month of learning new cuss words in a variety of different languages, slamming my head angst the floor numerous times and spending countless hours NOT knowing what to do next…… she is all better  please allow me to explain..
After falling over in my garage she had a sputter and choke out symptoms at 4000 Rpm.
Since discovering this problem I have torn apart those carbs two dozen times, replaced choke holder guides, jets, gaskets, diaphragms, replaced and upgraded the coil system to the 600RR coil pack, replaced every vacuum line, PVLIR and fuel lines, rewired the R/R .. then today discovered that I “may” have an ignition amplifier failure… after all this plus new plugs and replacing the Ignition amp she fired right up.. took her out for an hour ride, she sputtered a little bit probably due to needing a carb syncing. But thank you to everyone who offered words of wisdom.. thank you very much
Josh