SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   I need help please. Bike is down (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/i-need-help-please-bike-down-31207/)

ScottinLa 10-04-2013 07:11 PM

I need help please. Bike is down

I have an 03 superhawk that needed a new chain/sprocket and had a knock. Brought it to a local service place an they changed chain and sprockets and did a service including changing plugs and recharging k&n filter. Now I feel like I'm riding a bucking horse. I roll on throttle and it sputters with no power then WHAM it takes off. If I try to keep a cruising speed it drones, revs, drones, revs and backfires like crazy. It's also burning fuel like no tomorrow. I went about 35 miles after fueling and I was almost empty. I want to ditch the k&n filter and go back with oem maybe that will help. I called shop back and told them the knock was gone but it's studdering and backfiring and running terrible. They told me they noticed that and suggested it's running way to rich. They suggested I get the carbs cleaned out that it seemed like they had trash in it causing it to dump way to much fuel in the carb. I know I'm not much of a mechanic like most of you guys so that's why I'm asking if this diagnosis seems legit. I LOVE my bike but I don't have an unlimited budget to just throw money at it. Any advice you have or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

7moore7 10-04-2013 07:25 PM

Where are you located? The shop and you seem to be on the right track with looking at the carbs as well as the filter...

ScottinLa 10-04-2013 07:44 PM

I'm in south Louisiana. I'm not new to troubleshooting I just don't know much about bikes, I'm more of an electrical guy. I want to try one thing at a time so I want to tackle the quick and easy first. So, I need another air filter. Honda wants a ridiculous amount for an oem so what is a good alternative that is the same or close to oem? I'd rather not go with another performance filter like k&n. I've seen hiflofiltrro but not sure if that's a similar oem or not. From there if it doesn't clear up I guess I'll let them tackle the fuel system. I'm not expecting miracles from changing the air filter but it's a start. I highly doubt just the k&n would make it dump
A whole tank of gas on the way to work. Shoulda just left it at the chain and sproket change. One of these days I'll learn to leave well enough alone.

7moore7 10-04-2013 08:57 PM

35 miles is very little... seems like it would be leaking fuel and not just burning it. Maybe your petcock is acting up and not delivering fuel to the carbs properly. This is the part attached to the bottom of your tank with two fuel lines and one small vacuum line attached to it. The vacuum line should be attached to the BACK nipple pointing sideways, not the BOTTOM nipple pointing down... this is a common mistake to connect.

ScottinLa 10-04-2013 10:27 PM

I'll have to check that when I have some time. Thank you so much for your input. I really do appreciate it.

ScottinLa 10-06-2013 10:28 AM

7moore7 I must call on your expertise again. I pulled up the back of my tank to look at the petcock after doing some reading on here. I have the two large fuel lines going out on left and right and a smaller hose connected to the very bottom of the petcock facing down that goes to a nipple somewhere on the rear cylinder. The 90 degree nipple on the very rear of the petcock facing to the side has no hose on it. Now, from reading on here, that angled nipple operates the petcock via vacuum and the bottom nipple facing down is the vent. Wanted to check before I go screw something up by moving the line from the bottom to the angled nipple. Should I swap it? And should that bottom nipple have a line connected? If so I'm a hose short. If this is the case the mechanic may have just hooked it to the wrong nipple.

Wicky 10-06-2013 11:05 AM

The vacuum hose needs moving from the bottom & down to the connection behind and sideways.

PVLIR. "Petcock Vacuum Line Inadvertent Relocation".

ScottinLa 10-06-2013 11:09 AM

Got it! Back up and running!! Purring like a kitten and pulling like a beast! Thank for all your help

7moore7 10-06-2013 04:58 PM

PVLIR strikes again!