SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   I am a moron (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/i-am-moron-12559/)

driven 09-03-2007 09:04 AM

I am a moron

So I got my replacement front head, new gasket, etc. Installed everything Friday. All went smoothly. Hadn't received my APEs yet but was so anxious to hear the thing run that I was sure I could use my oem cct with the broken spring as a manual - crank it out and lock it in place with a longer 6mm bolt. Just to hear it run for a second and then shut it off. As my other thread stated that didn't work as it loosened up anyway. Stopped cranking after the chain slap started. Thankfully the previous owner turned the petcock off during disassembly and I didn't notice it so it didn't start. Figured all would be fine. Got my APEs Saturday, buttoned everything up, and cranked her over. It fired within seconds, but with a very noticeable tap from that front cylinder. Ugh. I know the clearances were good before I installed the replacement head. Right on the money in fact. Well not anymore. Yep, thanx to my impatience and not waiting until I had the APEs installed I bent another exhaust valve.

So now what? I have a spare rear head I can rob a valve out of, just not so sure I'll get a great seal with just lapping it. Looks like that will have to do as I have spent more than I wanted to already. Now I have to wait for another head gasket to come in. There will be snow on the ground before I get to ride this thing! Man...after all the projects I've done in my life that went off without a hitch this bike is making me feel like a total noob.

cliby 09-03-2007 10:05 AM

that is too bad. sorry to hear it went that way. I have done so many jobs where I let my excitement to get it done get the best of me. we've all been there. Hope you can get it together fairly quickly.

killer5280 09-03-2007 11:50 AM

You may be a moron, but you got balls 'cause if I did that there's no way I would post it here.:)
I hope the valve from the rear head works.

driven 09-03-2007 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by killer5280 (Post 128453)
You may be a moron, but you got balls 'cause if I did that there's no way I would post it here.:)
I hope the valve from the rear head works.

Not too worried about it. I'm ok with my occasional stupidity. I knew better, just thought I could get away with it once. Thankfully it will only cost some time and another head gasket and probably some irritation with determining the correct shims. I was pretty surprised after removing the head and seeing the gap between the exhaust valves and the seat that it started at all. At least I know it runs! Maybe Wednesday I'll actually get to ride it. :rolleyes:

futurehawk 09-03-2007 03:59 PM

Dude, if there was just some way to get paid for confessing our occasional "My God, did I actually just do that?" moments. It would almost make the mistake bearable. Many a time I cost myself more than I needed to just from the very impatience you experienced. If Impatience was a guy, we'd have him prosecuted and against the wall in a moment. Right next to Murphy, with a copy of his @*#%!! law.:gatlin:

cliby 09-03-2007 05:16 PM

so what could you see with just the valve cover off before removing the head to show a valve was bent? or not noticeable at all? for future reference.

driven 09-03-2007 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by cliby (Post 128476)
so what could you see with just the valve cover off before removing the head to show a valve was bent? or not noticeable at all? for future reference.

You could "throw a cat" as they say through the space between the cam lobe and the bucket which means the valve didn't fully close and is likely bent (which it was - or actually, they were, as in both exhaust valves). Prior to that the clearance was exactly 0.012.

cliby 09-03-2007 07:06 PM

that is what I assumed, just hadn't seen it. thanks and sorry again, good luck.

SlowHAWK 09-03-2007 07:37 PM

I don't know for sure, but looking at the microfische on the Ron Ayers website... it looks like the front and rear heads use the same valves.... again.... I dont knwo this for sure, but you could probably call up a service dept and find out...

http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/200_03...0&parent=13160

J.

redman 09-03-2007 10:12 PM

In MY experience...they sure as Hell better have the same valves! A thorough cleaning and re-lap should get you close enough for the SEAT part of it....stem to guide clearance will be your issue.....don't cut any corners THIS time....

driven 09-04-2007 06:25 AM

Heads are with my machinist right now. He said all looks fine but he'll check to be sure. The problem may be whether or not my dealer has the right shims in stock.

driven 09-04-2007 01:43 PM

Heads are reassembled, everything checked out ok. Head gasket and one shim will be here tomorrow - all other valve clearances required no reshimming. By the grace of God I will have it running tomorrow!

redman 09-05-2007 06:42 AM

Just remember...if you need skinnier shims you can just get out the plate glass, 280 wet/dry paper, oil, and carefully thin them down to exactly the thickness you need. I did it a month ago....
"Course, you have to have a micrometer to check them with....