SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   How to replace VTR Cam Chain?? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/how-replace-vtr-cam-chain-29000/)

98VTRrider 08-16-2012 07:08 AM

How to replace VTR Cam Chain??

Been thinking, if my front head still passes a leakdown test, I might try one more time to fix it and replace my broken cam chain.

Question is, how is this done on the VTR? I've looked through my factory repair manual and I didn't see anything on replacing the cam chain.

Can you split the chain with a chain tool? or does it need to stay complete and go on the crank with the cases split?

A new chain is about $75 from RonAyers.

8541Hawk 08-16-2012 09:42 AM

I believe it is an endless loop chain so you are going to have to pull the engine down to replace it.

gotta_gofast 08-16-2012 02:22 PM

For the front? You may be able to pull the flywheel and remove the cam cover. From here, loop the chain around the crank sprocket and use wire to grab and pull up through the head while making sure everything lines up with the guides and sprockets. Then the chain is around the crank sprocket and up in the head ready for you to clock the cams in. I just split my cases yesterday and there is plenty of room down there once the flywheel and one way clutch/gear assembly is removed.

98VTRrider 08-16-2012 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by gotta_gofast (Post 340005)
For the front? You may be able to pull the flywheel and remove the cam cover. From here, loop the chain around the crank sprocket and use wire to grab and pull up through the head while making sure everything lines up with the guides and sprockets. Then the chain is around the crank sprocket and up in the head ready for you to clock the cams in. I just split my cases yesterday and there is plenty of room down there once the flywheel and one way clutch/gear assembly is removed.

Yes the front. Does the way you describe it keep the chain whole? After you remove the flywheel/gear assembly, how far past the cam chain gear does the crankshaft protrude?

thanks

gotta_gofast 08-16-2012 05:59 PM

You'll be able to get it fitted without breaking the chain.

Unscrew the two bolts that hold the upper and lower guide (to spread them), this will give you more room to work around the sprocket. Fold the chain up to fit inside the flywheel cavity, pull one end up through the engine and above the head (again, use wire with a hook) and this will rid you of most of the "extra" chain to deal with down by the crank. Slip the chain around the sprocket (there are three protrusions casted into the cases around the sprocket but still plenty of room to install the chain). I should have taken more pictures of the engine when I tore it down.

I measured the crank. From center of sprocket to edge of crankshaft is 2 1/2". If thats what you were asking?

98VTRrider 08-16-2012 07:00 PM

Yea that's what I was asking, thanks.. I was thinking drop the chain down from the top and bring the loop around the crank, but the chain may not flex that much sideways.

Sounds easy enough, after I check the valves with a leak down test I'll give it one more shot with a new chain if the valves are good.

I'm hoping when the chain broke it wasn't because of valve/piston interference, and that the chain just snapped, and the valves retracted before the piston came back up. Here's to crossing my fingers

gotta_gofast 08-16-2012 07:05 PM

Good luck man! You have a nice setup with your bike, don't let this put the hound down.