SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   How does the choke cable connect to the carb? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/how-does-choke-cable-connect-carb-18635/)

shutej 05-10-2009 09:14 AM

How does the choke cable connect to the carb?

I hit a pothole last weekend and at the next light I noticed the bike idling at 2000 instead of its typical ~1000.

I popped the tank up and on the rear carb I can see the choke cable's shiny little spring. It looks like it goes into a dark circle on the side of the carb, what could be an O-ring but is probably the thread of a nut, because on the other end of the spring, hanging out of the carb, it looks like there's a nut head that I can push flush against tha carb. When I pull the choke, it actually pulls this "nut" closer to the carb, but there seems to be nothing to actually get it fixed to the side of the carb.

My guess is that this is actually a part of the cable, that this is how the cable housing attaches to the side of the carb, and when I hit the pothole, the nut head sheared off leaving the thread in the carb? Can anyone confirm what I'm looking at?

I intended to bring it to a mechanic for a carb sync and jet kit this week anyway. I'd like to give them some idea what OEM part they should order first, so I don't have to sit out another week waiting for the thing to show...

This is the first sun we've had in a week. And I'm here on the internet. :( Sigh.

cliby 05-10-2009 09:36 AM

you are right. the cable has a plastic threaded part at the end that secures the fuel enrichment device to the carb - one for each carb - easy to break while installing/overtightening. Never heard of one breaking over a bump!

Circuit_Burner 05-10-2009 01:50 PM

If the black plastic threads are still stuck in the side of the carb where the choke plunger goes, you will need to carefully turn that out counter clockwise with some picks or small chisel..
From Honda that part comes with the choke plunger and isnt cheap.
You might find a used cap somewhere. I scrounge them up for carb jobs from local bike shops and salvage yards every now and then since those choke plungers are sometimes over $100 a set (per carb)

shutej 05-10-2009 01:50 PM

We grow 'em big around here. Didn't expect it to be a fork-bottoming choke-cable-breaking affair. Maybe the last guy in there tightened it too much and it was a hair's breadth away from shearing off? Thanks for the sanity check, will call my wrench tomorrow and get it ordered in advance.

I did an ugly tie-wrapping of the rubber boot and went riding today anyway. Not great, but better than sulking at home!

Circuit_Burner 05-10-2009 01:57 PM

Yea, Those black plastic threaded things like that barely get tightened beyond finger tight.
Noob mechanics miss this everytime, just like when they tighten down rear axle nuts too hard.

shutej 05-10-2009 02:18 PM

Aha!

I think it's part #11, part number 16046-MBB-640:

http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/...OMPONENT_PARTS

...and there it is, the "nut" and its corresponding threads. $25 from Honda, not too bad!

inderocker 05-10-2009 05:48 PM

Honda should of made those and the rear brake hose guides out of aluminum. Shame on you Honda!

Blkbird 05-10-2009 06:58 PM

i broke the plastic threads off of mine when i had the carbs off a couple months ago, i think the parts cost me like $35 with shipping. Believe it is called a starter valve or something of the sort. Im so careful when I remove them from the carb now.

mboe794 05-10-2009 07:38 PM

I too broke one during one of my jetting attempts. It's easy to cross thread and tough to tell how much you're torquing on it while you hands are all contorted under the carbs.

Zedicus 05-10-2009 07:58 PM

i sware its like no one listens to me. a short search would turn up my thread about a brass alternative that is easy to source and cheap. (and wont break) i dont remember the part number as its been years but i think the fitting carb is off of a polaris 400 scrambler. i had them on my hawk.

cliby 05-10-2009 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Zedicus (Post 215911)
i sware its like no one listens to me. a short search would turn up my thread about a brass alternative that is easy to source and cheap. (and wont break) i dont remember the part number as its been years but i think the fitting carb is off of a polaris 400 scrambler. i had them on my hawk.

its not that no-one listens, more that very few people use the search very often. Think how much is missed? There is some good info there. then again, after this long, what we post about if not to repeat all that's been said?