SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   how do i clean out my carburators? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/how-do-i-clean-out-my-carburators-26748/)

milo2 10-03-2011 07:18 AM

how do i clean out my carburators?

Hey everyone whats up? so im still having issues with my 98 superhark running really slugish wants to cut out in all gears, but it will sit and idle fine. just doesnt sound right. a friend suggested that i clean out the carbs. so im needing you experienced superhawk owners out there to assist me. is this easy and how do i do it? thanks brothers.

zmaniv 10-03-2011 10:21 AM

What mods have been done to the bike?

If you want to clean them out. Remove carbs first. Remove diaphragms. Get some carb cleaner remove the float bowls and then the jets. Do each one separately so you don't mix up parts. Soak the parts in the carb cleaner and check the ports in the carb body. That's about it.

8541Hawk 10-03-2011 10:25 AM

Well the answer is Yes & No.....

To clean them, remove the tank and the air box. While you have the air box open, check to make sure to two (2) small sub-filters which are located in the corners are still in place and in good shape.

Then loosen the screws on the isolators (the rubber bits that hold the carbs to the engine) and rock the carbs a bit to break them loose.

Then remove the rear enrichment cable (be careful as the fitting is plastic and real easy to break. it should just be snug not ever "tightened")

Then remove the coolant lines from the bottom of the carbs.

Remove the plug for the TPS.

Remove the two (2) screws that hold the throttle cable stay to the carbs and remove the throttle cables.

Remove the front enrichment circuit cable.

At this point the carbs should lift out.

Only dis assemble one (1) carb at a time as there are a few parts that are not interchangeable. Clean all the brass bits. Personally I would replace the pilot jets (as it is easier than spending the time to clean all those small holes) check the float, needle and fuel inlet seat.

Check the slide for wear and the diaphragm for tearing or holes.

Then put it back together and do the other one......;)

One tip, when you go to put the cover on the slide, you must first install a long spring. The way to do this is take a long screwdriver and place the spring on it and the set it in the recess in the cap. The using the screwdriver to keep the spring straight, compress it into the cap.

Hold it in place with your thumb as you position the cap and then slide your thumb out of the way. It might take a little practice but it does work.

Also find something the hold the slide approximately 1\2 way open while doing this for the best results.

When installed correctly, you should be able to hear the air move in and out of the slide chamber. If you don't hear it and the slide just drops closed when you release it, then the diaphragm is not seated correctly or is damaged.

milo2 10-03-2011 11:19 AM

You know I wasnt sure what the subfilters are so I looked in my manual. I found a pic. And well the bike didn't come with any. Could that have allowed crap in my carbs. And no the bike hasn't been modified.

8541Hawk 10-03-2011 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by milo2 (Post 315375)
You know I wasnt sure what the subfilters are so I looked in my manual. I found a pic. And well the bike didn't come with any. Could that have allowed crap in my carbs. And no the bike hasn't been modified.

Yeah, the slides are full of dirt...... if you get lucky there won't be too much damage and you can clean the carbs real good and install the sub-filters and you will be good.

On the other hand the slides could be worn or possible even the carbs themselves could be worn form the dirt.

So pull them apart ASAP. Be real careful of the choke cables (or enrichment cables) as the fittings are plastic. It is a 10mm hex but never put pressure on it, only finger tight and then a light snug and also be careful when you loosen it. You have been warned twice now..... ;)
be real careful on this step.

Pull the slides and check the two "ears" that go in the grooves in the carbs for wear. Post pics if you have questions on if you need to replace them.

Check the carb bodies for wear. Clean and blow out everything real good and reassemble..... ;)

Cafe Racer 10-03-2011 12:22 PM

8541 knows his stuff!

8541Hawk 10-03-2011 12:39 PM

Well yeah I have taken one or two of them apart before...... ;)

7moore7 10-03-2011 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Cafe Racer (Post 315379)
8541 knows his stuff!

+1 and doesn't mind typing a whole instruction manual for one post!

milo2 10-03-2011 01:13 PM

Hey thanks 8541. I will get started tonight. If I get stuck or confused, I will post a pic.. thanks again.

8541Hawk 10-03-2011 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by milo2 (Post 315386)
Hey thanks 8541. I will get started tonight. If I get stuck or confused, I will post a pic.. thanks again.

No worries and you can also read this thread to give you a little more insight on what is going on : https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...-set-up-24769/

Another question, you said your bike is stock, does it still have all the PAIR hoses and valves in place?

Just let me know if you get stuck, just go slow and easy.

Another "while you are in there" thing to do, if you feel comfortable with it and have a multi-meter is this: https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...n-sensor-9876/