SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   how can I reset cam timing with all cams out (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/how-can-i-reset-cam-timing-all-cams-out-33382/)

laxcuz 07-22-2015 08:38 PM

how can I reset cam timing with all cams out

Hey all,

I recently replaced my shims to correct valve clearances. I removed all of my camshafts and sprockets per the service manual. Both the front and rear heads have been serviced. I am now at the point where I am reinstalling the camshafts and cam sprockets. I have read the manual thoroughly (8-19 through 8-22) on how to reset the cam timing. It states that if both front and rear have been serviced, I should start by installing the front cam sprockets first, then install the rear sprockets.

It states that I should Turn the crankshaft counterclockwise and align "RT" mark on the flywheel with the index mark on the left crankcase cover. Then it wants me to Check the timing marks ("R·I" for intake and "R·E" for exhaust) on the rear cylinder cam sprockets. Since I have removed both the front and rear camshafts, I am unable to use the rear sprockets for a reference.

Has anyone successfully reset the cam timing with all camshafts out of the bike? I am having trouble wrapping my head around this.

Thanks in advance

Allen

thedeatons 07-22-2015 09:39 PM

Basically there is the alignment mark on the crank (flywheel), and alignment marks on each cam gear (both intake & exhaust). Line each one of them up according to how the book says, with the chain installed, and yer pretty much done.

I always make sure to spin the engine over with a ratchet afterward to make sure it spins over freely.

James

kenmoore 07-23-2015 02:32 AM

Hey Mate!

I can understand where you are at.

I have been there on many bikes and it becomes very daunting.

You have to trust yourself, stay calm, read the instuctions over and over , double check everything.

As James says spin the motor over many times and check all alignment marks on crank and camshaft sprockets before you assemble.

Fire her up and hold your breath, if all is well breath a sigh of relief and experience a sense of accomplishment.

If not disassemble and start again.

When I did the 848 belts it took me two goes the first time as I had stuffed up.

The VTR is straight forward, follow the book, turn over by hand each time you align the marks on each cam and make sure that everything lines up, then progress to the next cam and follow the procedure as per the manual.

Good luck, let us know how you get on, and one last tip!

I have always found it valid to re synch the carbs and mixtures after any work with the cams or valves .

SXRguyinMA 07-23-2015 11:42 AM

If all the came are out just skip the checking RT alignment part. Set the flywheel to FT, install the cams as specified then follow the "if rear cams have been removed" section and turn the crank the needed # of turns to line up the "RT" then install the rear cams as specified :)