SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Hiccup while cruising. (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/hiccup-while-cruising-29950/)

scotchrocket 03-10-2013 07:59 AM

Hiccup while cruising.

I got the SH yesterday for a quick spin yesterday after new plugs and an air filter. At idle and riding over 4k rpms everything seems great. But... When cruising between 4k-2k rpms, the bike has a momentary hiccup or miss. It only seems to happen when the choke is off after a few minutes of riding. Any thoughts where to start looking for the issue? Things to note: the guy I bought the bike from had capped off one exhaust and it has one Two Brothers muffler. Everything else is stock. Thanks for your input.

alternative_vtr 03-10-2013 09:46 AM

I had a similar issue, mine was running weak, I put baffles in the cans and it sorted it, I am planning on putting 48 pilot jets in soon to richen mine a touch.

archaicguy 03-11-2013 04:25 AM

Mine will hiccup while running at 70 or so every once in a while, it will even do it more often while sitting at idle at a light or something and die. I'm just ready to hit the starter and start it back up. I always thought this was a common and regular issue with our hawks, correct me if this is a wrong assumption.

smokinjoe73 03-11-2013 04:40 AM

Yeah, they do that sometimes but dont lug the bike. You shouldnt be riding at 2k rpm.

Do a search on carb fart (I think). I believe the PAIR system adds to the problem. Its just a bunch of hoses that you can remove.

Tweety 03-11-2013 04:42 AM

It's a very common issue... But it's also a very fixable issue...

If it stalls at red lights and such, re-route the carb breather hoses, and cut them at an angle... This has been well covered in older posts, so I'm not going to be detailed... Essentially, it's an issue where the excess or rainwater whatever creates a vapour lock situation...

The hickup in itself is almost always a issue with sync and setup of the carbs... Set the bike up right and it disapears... Takes some work...

Jack Flash 03-11-2013 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by archaicguy (Post 350596)
I always thought this was a common and regular issue with our hawks, correct me if this is a wrong assumption.

Common, but not normal. No bike should just stall at a red light. As Tweety said previously, a good set up and sync of the carbs should basically take care of your problem quite easily.

smokinjoe73 03-11-2013 07:28 AM

I didnt see anything about stalling. But wait......."capped off" one exhaust? Really? If thats true then its very wrong and dont even bother doing anything til you fix that, sounds pretty crazy.

scotchrocket 03-12-2013 07:10 PM

Where the exhaust would normally split to separate cans, mine is welded closed on the left side. Basically, the guy I bought it from did a poor mans 2 into 1. PAIR removal and carb sync are the next projects. Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse on the issue but I never thought to look up "Carb Fart". Everything else I tried searching didn't seem to match my bike's specific issue. Thanks guys.

Side note, I also found that my petcock was acting funny but only after running the tank bone dry and refilling with fuel. I just finished inspecting the diaphragms. I'll get a rebuild kit if that didnt fix the issue. From the sound of it, these two things could be related.

7moore7 03-12-2013 08:09 PM

Some people have had the petcock rebuild kits not fit 100%... another option is buying the OEM set:

Part no: 16953-ML0-034

Honda ATV Parts, ATV Honda Parts, OEM Honda Parts Sale, trx250, trx350, trx420, trx500, trx680, trx700 FORMAN, RECON, RINCON, RUBICON, best deal

scotchrocket 07-30-2013 10:27 AM

I wanted to share an update to my carb fart issue. After a closer look at the stock cans compaired to the single Two Brothers can the previous owner had installed, I figured that my issue was related to back pressure. In an attempt to test my theory, I pulled the current TB can off and replaced it with the aftermarket can I had on my old GS500, Cobra F1 I think. Low and Behold, the carb fart is gone and the bike runs 100% smoother. I considered purchasing an internal baffle so I could reinstall the TB can, but after a quick paint job, I think my old GS500 can will serve well.

Again, thanks to everyone who helped with suggestions and keep on doing what you do. I'm sure I speak for a lot of new SH owners, this forum has saved countless hours of T & E and has helped keep me on the road, and out of the garage. Thanks again!

Wicky 07-30-2013 10:53 AM

http://images.persephonemagazine.com...85-300x255.jpg

smokinjoe73 07-30-2013 11:47 AM

scotchrocket, you have a 2 into one system?

sailorjerry 07-30-2013 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 359890)
scotchrocket, you have a 2 into one system?

He has the "poor mans two into one" as he put it, left side at the Y-pipe is cut capped and welded. Personally I would fix that and buy a cheap set of cans first.

If needed I have a set of stock headers and mid pipes that just need gaskets. I will give them to you if you just pay shipping.

smokinjoe73 07-30-2013 02:12 PM

What? Cut capped and what? I wouldnt run that around the block. Seriously back pressure is not the problem. You should take up sailor on his offer. The bike was really not meant to run on capped exhaust.

RoadManiac 08-02-2013 01:18 PM

i am also dealing with this problem
the same as the TS
but i dont have a capped of exhaust i only got a remus revolution slip on
its all stock but the silencers are huge with huge hole so also a loss of backpressure,
however it wil run without any misfire or farts with choke on
so bigger pilot jets and/or mains ?

mvg florian