SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Hesitation during acceleration (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/hesitation-during-acceleration-10749/)

FullFlavorPike 03-10-2007 10:16 AM

Hesitation during acceleration

I get a lot of hesitation when I turn the go-stick on my '05. It almost sounds like the bike is hiccuping. Very strange. It's worst when it's cold out, too. If I leave the choke wide-open it won't really do it. Even after the bike crests 150 degrees or so, though, I close the choke and it hesitates on me. Anybody encounter anything like this before??

superbling 03-10-2007 11:48 AM

Sounds like a fuel metering problem. Bike been sitting over the winter?

Hawkrider 03-10-2007 02:22 PM

You're running too lean. You need to rejet the carbs.

FullFlavorPike 03-10-2007 03:27 PM

Think a dynojet kit is the answer? I run two bro.'s pipes, maybe that has something to do with it?

How much am I going to suffer re-jetting?

superbling 03-10-2007 03:35 PM

Is it happening in the 2500-3500rpm range as you try to roll it on?

FullFlavorPike 03-10-2007 05:25 PM

Probably about there and above. bike hasn't been sitting though - started doing it when it got cold in the fall and I just figured it was from the chill. But it doesn't like to stop when the bike warms up.

jamesvtr 03-10-2007 05:55 PM

your going to have to do some jetting like what was stated before it will be well worth it

SuperHawkins 03-10-2007 08:34 PM

Yep its a jetting problem....Im running stock jets with a drop-in and slipons and no intake snorkel so I have it pretty bad....waiting on a kit to turn up cheap on ebay

jamesvtr 03-10-2007 08:42 PM

you should put your snokel back on you loose power from removing it

SuperHawkins 03-10-2007 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by jamesvtr (Post 44142)
you should put your snokel back on you loose power from removing it

But I love the intake sound too much! I'm not worried much about 1 or 2 hp...I cant utilize it anyways. Give me a car, thats a different story, but a bike....I'll admit my inadequacies

Speed_Demon 03-11-2007 03:41 AM

So it just started doing it all the sudden? If it isn't gummed up carbs you probably have unseated carbs. I got my bike after it sat in police impound for two years (previous owner died on it) and the carbs popped loose during the first start up. This creates a lean condition and gets worse with throttle (engine vibration). I've seen it on every hawk I've worked on. Lean conditions do cause backfires but stock hawk jetting should handle bolt on aftermarket parts without backfiring even at sea level not to say you shouldn't go richer with mods.

Hawkrider 03-11-2007 10:27 AM

Cold air is more dense, thus more air in the air-fuel ratio equation. This will make the bike more lean in the winter, as you describe. The choke experiment solidifies my belief that you're lean. I'm a fan of the Factory jet kit.