SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Help with suspicious noise (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/help-suspicious-noise-35097/)

Mvanriel60 08-27-2018 04:07 PM

Help with suspicious noise

O.k. so I took a spill the other weekend. Got a hole in clutch cover . So I got a used clutch cover . The old one had rocks and gunk from the hole. I replaced my springs and cleaned everything out. Had some minuscule pieces of gasket and rocks in oil pan so i dropped that cleaned it and made a gasket with hondabond. Put oil. Bled my clutch. Put new coolant and fired it up. Now only way I can describe the noise( sounds like a belt from a car when it gets wet) definitely sounds like right side of engine

captainchaos 08-27-2018 10:23 PM

How long did you run it for? Did you transfer over the impeller or did the cover come with one? If I remember correctly after a lowside many years ago I did the same and (after cleaning all the bits of my clutch out of the oil pan and replacing it) after replacing the cover the impeller (the one that came with the new/used cover) made noise for a short time and then it disappeared. I'm sure you'll get some more insight, I don't know how helpful that is.

E.Marquez 08-28-2018 05:56 AM

If the water pump impeller is not set at the correct depth, it will rub either the case or the cover...Steel on aluminum, I think most describe it as a rubbing sound, not a whine... but hey who knows...
Easy to check though, take the pump cover off, its a reusable O ring so your only out a bit of coolant. If its rubbing the case or cover it will be painfully oblivious.with rub marks and bits of aluminum about.
Used covers stored, could be set down hard enough or have something piled on it with enough force to move the impeller shaft though the bearing and seal...causing the impeller to rub the cover... Used cover stored without a pump cover in, and the impeller could be pushed to far in and then it rubs.

After that ..... well was there any other work done to the bike while it was down? Install manual CCT's perhaps?

Mvanriel60 08-28-2018 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by captainchaos (Post 407437)
How long did you run it for? Did you transfer over the impeller or did the cover come with one? If I remember correctly after a lowside many years ago I did the same and (after cleaning all the bits of my clutch out of the oil pan and replacing it) after replacing the cover the impeller (the one that came with the new/used cover) made noise for a short time and then it disappeared. I'm sure you'll get some more insight, I don't know how helpful that is.

the niose came from first start up. Once water circulated through system it seems to definitely go away for the most part. Maybe 10min. The cover I bought came with an impeller and the bearing seemed better than mine so I used the new cover one.. again on start up cold this am the noise was there. So I shut it down and took the car to work. Definitely fets better as time goes on though

Mvanriel60 08-28-2018 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by E.Marquez (Post 407440)
If the water pump impeller is not set at the correct depth, it will rub either the case or the cover...Steel on aluminum, I think most describe it as a rubbing sound, not a whine... but hey who knows...
Easy to check though, take the pump cover off, its a reusable O ring so your only out a bit of coolant. If its rubbing the case or cover it will be painfully oblivious.with rub marks and bits of aluminum about.
Used covers stored, could be set down hard enough or have something piled on it with enough force to move the impeller shaft though the bearing and seal...causing the impeller to rub the cover... Used cover stored without a pump cover in, and the impeller could be pushed to far in and then it rubs.

After that ..... well was there any other work done to the bike while it was down? Install manual CCT's perhaps?

I'll have to pop it off tomorrow. I did my manual ccts about 6 months ago with no problem. Only other thing I did was replace springs clean everything and drop oil pan

E.Marquez 08-28-2018 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Mvanriel60 (Post 407442)
the niose came from first start up. Once water circulated through system it seems to definitely go away for the most part. Maybe 10min. The cover I bought came with an impeller and the bearing seemed better than mine so I used the new cover one.. again on start up cold this am the noise was there. So I shut it down and took the car to work. Definitely fets better as time goes on though

There are two seals involved ...a ceramic one that is sealing the coolant and rubber one that seals the oil. I suppose the rubber one, if dry might squeal a bit against the steel shaft until oil hits it..but at that point it should not make any more noise..
The bearing may be damaged, worn, ect...and making noise till fully flooded with oil, then as oil drains away, repeats same noise at next start up.

Really cant come up with any other components on the side that can make the noise how and when you describe .....

I think Id be replacing the impeller seals and bearing..... And that is doable at home, IF you have the ability to install the steel shell seal without damage, the bearing without touching the inner race, and the impeller to a precise depth.https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sup...b78ad41e17.jpg

Mvanriel60 08-28-2018 08:26 PM

Thanks the picture will definitely come in handy. I popped off the cover tonight. No score marks or bits of aluminum or any signs of rubbing whatsoever. So I guess I'm stuck going farther inside to see the other seals and bearings it's just weird that the inner bearings and seals never got touched only the propeller