SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Help Needed: Starter Malfunction (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/help-needed-starter-malfunction-31459/)

ProfChaos 12-11-2013 02:42 PM

Help Needed: Starter Malfunction

I suspect that the starter relay might be malfunctioning on my VTR.

At first, I suspected that the starter motor was bad, because, last week, it started making a weird whirring noise--like the starter was having trouble fully engaging--and the bike wouldn't turn-over. At the time, I ordered a new starter motor from DB Electric in Tennessee.

Today, I replaced the starter motor with the new one, and the newly-replaced starter motor still makes the whirring noise and won't crank the engine.

I suspect that either the battery has insufficient cranking amps, or the starter relay is bad. The starter relay fuse is OK. (BTW, I can still bump-start the bike, so the engine isn't seized.)

My question is for VTR experts or for someone who has experienced this weird whirring noise at the starter. Is it the relay? the battery cranking amps? something else?

Thanks for the help.
--Professor Chaos

Wicky 12-11-2013 04:02 PM

Starter clutch sprocket sounds kanckered - buried beneath the alternator cover and some.

A new starter motor would have been expensive. If battery is low or starter motor connector bolt corroded (common problem in UK due to salty roads) you'd get a click from she relay. As yours is whirring then starter isn't engaging thus…

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewto...p?f=31&t=20849

ProfChaos 12-12-2013 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Wicky (Post 366188)
Starter clutch sprocket sounds kanckered - buried beneath the alternator cover and some.

A new starter motor would have been expensive. If battery is low or starter motor connector bolt corroded (common problem in UK due to salty roads) you'd get a click from she relay. As yours is whirring then starter isn't engaging thus…

www.vtr1000.org • View topic - Starter motor problems.

Thanks so much for the helpful info and the useful hyperlink.

(BTW, the starter motor is actually making a "screeching noise" as I press the starter button--as described at the hyperlink--rather than making a "whirring noise," as I so ineptly described in my first post.)

The starter motor was only $80-US from DB Electric in Tennessee, so I figured it was worth a shot as a first-guess/quick-fix. (The VTR has 100,500 miles on it, so at that price [with free shipping], it is no big deal that I replaced the starter motor without it actually needing to be replaced.) Now, even though the VTR won't start, it looks a little better from the front because of the shiny new starter. :lol:

I will remove the starter motor tomorrow and will likely "verify that the idle/reduction gear is" indeed not "able to rotate freely anti-clockwise" (VTR1000F Haynes Manual, 2-27). The new starter motor is screeching when engaged, and the reason for it doing so now seems obvious.

Thanks again for the helpful input.

cheers, :cheers:
--Professor Chaos

CruxGNZ 12-12-2013 09:48 PM

Prof. Chaos, have you installed manual CCT's (Cam Chain Tensioner) before this started happening? Your starter motor will make that noise when it can't spin the engine over easily. There is resistance acting upon the engine somewhere. This has actually happened to people that really cranked down on thier CCT's during installation. Like stated above, check the starter first and go from there.

ProfChaos 12-13-2013 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by CruxGNZ (Post 366242)
Prof. Chaos, have you installed manual CCT's (Cam Chain Tensioner) before this started happening? Your starter motor will make that noise when it can't spin the engine over easily. There is resistance acting upon the engine somewhere. This has actually happened to people that really cranked down on thier CCT's during installation. Like stated above, check the starter first and go from there.

The VTR does have manual cam-chain tensioners, but they were installed more than eight years ago by a very skilled mechanic. Everything has always been fine until recently. Thanks for the input, though.

I noticed while looking through the appropriate section of the VTR1000F Haynes Manual that I can inspect starter clutch operation by removing the starter and verifying that "the idle/reduction gear is able to rotate freely anti-clockwise as you look at it via the starter motor aperture, but locks when rotated clockwise" (2-27). Since the starter motor is new and the cam-chain tensioner was never an issue, it seems that the inspection will just amount to verification of the inevitable.

Even so, thanks again for the helpful advice that might have saved me a great deal of money had I recently installed manual cam-chain tensioners.

cheers, :cheers:
--Professor Chaos

NewGuy 02-08-2016 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by ProfChaos (Post 366186)
I suspect that the starter relay might be malfunctioning on my VTR.

At first, I suspected that the starter motor was bad, because, last week, it started making a weird whirring noise--like the starter was having trouble fully engaging--and the bike wouldn't turn-over. At the time, I ordered a new starter motor from DB Electric in Tennessee.

Today, I replaced the starter motor with the new one, and the newly-replaced starter motor still makes the whirring noise and won't crank the engine.

I suspect that either the battery has insufficient cranking amps, or the starter relay is bad. The starter relay fuse is OK. (BTW, I can still bump-start the bike, so the engine isn't seized.)

My question is for VTR experts or for someone who has experienced this weird whirring noise at the starter. Is it the relay? the battery cranking amps? something else?

Thanks for the help.
--Professor Chaos

Did you ever get this sorted?
I'm having the same issue on my Superhawk and I'm about to start taking things apart.
Thanks!

Wicky 02-08-2016 04:15 PM

Sounds suspiciously like the starter sprag clutch...

www.vtr1000.org ? View topic - Starter motor problems.

jimeowen 07-14-2016 03:16 AM

My question is "how do you remove the reduction/idle gear ?" In particular I have got the rod/axle of it out and have removed the star shaped bolt of the chain guide, but I still can't get the rears past that guide !!! It seems there is another bolt holding the guide higher up. Anyone know how this is done ?

Sweet, I've just worked it out. The chain guide can slide down and out of the way once the bolt is removed !