Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Stripping Naked...totally

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 07:14 PM
Squid

twinisin is on a distinguished road
Stripping Naked...totally

Now that I've got y'all attention, ("yuz" if you're up North). I'm stripping my bike totally and rebuilding it. Engine, suspension, hopefully fuel injection from SV1000, etc. I've been into bikes over 30 years and built a few customs from scratch. Most of the stuff I can figure out and Yes, I did spend several evenings reading up on here about general stuff. What I'm looking for is some "heads up" stuff before I get into it. Things to watch out for during the strip and re-assembly. This is a long term project, so I'm not in a hurry since I've got two other bikes on the bench and two waiting their turn. Thanks for the input guys, I'd rather spend 10 hours wrenching than 10 minutes on google.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:02 AM
SuperSport

matt365 is on a distinguished road
It'll be interesting following your progress.

Pictures and a write up step by step please!
Old 03-03-2018, 05:17 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Welcome twinisin.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:53 PM
Squid

So I stripped it down to the frame, installed spare stock front end and a spare 55k engine with spare swing arm which happen to have a spare wheel. The biggest pain in the butt was reconnecting the coolant lines into the thermostat housing and the mid frame crown nut. I needed to have this bike to fart around the neighborhood while I rebuild the engine from scratch. I'm planing on using the GSXR front end since I already have a fitted set. I'm having a hard time finding an SV1000 fuel injection system that would be a reasonable purchase, though I'm not sure it needs it, unless engine was modified before I got it, the VTR feels like it has more torque then the SV. The oil cooler is got to be replaced with a six stack or a parallel set of 4s. Also thinking about adding cooling rad center mounted since there is no reason to have air blowing across the front cylinder that has no fins. Once I get the engine rebuilt, the modified assemble will be the fun part.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:38 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Just a comment on the oil cooler matrix. I live & ride in NYC every day so the heat thing concerned me. I posted it on here but went to a much bigger cooler.
My dilemma was that it ate all the cool air that was on its way to the rads. This actually caused higher engine temps than with the small stock cooler.
That was mounting it in stock location but you could put it in front of the header a la ducati monster.
Give it a shot but I got better cooling results with the Chinese "racing radiators". Thicker than stock.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:27 PM
Back Marker

AlanS is on a distinguished road
Oil Cooler

I mounted a larger oil cooler behind the header, at the base of the engine. Not sure what I lost through positioning there, but it definitely runs cooler than with the stock cooler in the stock location.

Alan
Attached Thumbnails Stripping Naked...totally-img_0346.jpg  
Old 04-05-2018, 06:13 PM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by AlanS
I mounted a larger oil cooler behind the header, at the base of the engine. Not sure what I lost through positioning there, but it definitely runs cooler than with the stock cooler in the stock location.

Alan
Not a criticism of what you did, the results speak to the mod working. It's just that it doesn't look right. Having something that is cooling the motor next to something that's really hot.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:15 PM
MotoGP

Yeah where I live that would be an oil boiler
Old 04-05-2018, 08:44 PM
Squid

Being and ex-racer/ex-stunt rider, engine temp became more important than rear wheel traction. I agree xeris and joe. I'm thinking of possibly mounting a vertical cooler on one side of the header as forward as possible with a side shield directing the excess air flow towards the side radiator, using a deep vertical radiator (dirt bike type) on the other side of the header with a side shield as well. This way I utilize the same amount of square footage of air drag hitting the bike while taking advantage of the air drag. Florida traffic can really make it a hot ride.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:46 AM
MotoGP

The ducati monster way. Great in a gravel less world. At least it has its own clean air and doesn't block the rads which are starving already. The bigger rads are all that cooled things better for me. 8 row cooler just blocked them.
Attached Images  
Old 04-06-2018, 09:53 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
While some might say the oil cooler behind the header is an issue, as you can see it is the "normal" spot to mount the oil cooler.
So either the Moriwaki boys made a major mistake (I have plenty of other pics but all the Mori built bikes ran the cooler in that location) or there is no real issue running the cooler in that location.

Old 04-06-2018, 06:35 PM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Wow Hawk, great image. Off topic, but I'm assuming that the exhaust is Moriwaki. It has the same duodenum as the Akrapovic headers

Last edited by xeris; 04-18-2018 at 05:55 AM. Reason: sp
Old 04-08-2018, 09:09 PM
MotoGP

The purpose for that bike is about 100% different from the riders on this forum.

So yes, if you hold your bike at redline all day and have nothing but open racetrack in front of you, have at it.

For the guys on the street who have drastically different parameters, like, say, stoplights, speedlimits, traffic or law enforcement, (or for some reason cant open it up in top gear down your driveway or street) I would say that location is still an oil boiler.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:52 PM
Back Marker

AlanS is on a distinguished road
Folks, opinions--mine included--are like, well...you know. Rather than take this thread any further out into left field, I'm going to start another and elicit some objective help with the wisdom of my oil-cooler placement. Please chime in.

Alan
Old 04-17-2018, 11:30 AM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by xeris
Wow Hawk, great image. Off topic, but I'm assuming that the exhaust is Moriwaki. It has the same duodenum as the Akropovic headers
That is an Akrapovic header on this bike.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:39 AM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
The purpose for that bike is about 100% different from the riders on this forum.

So yes, if you hold your bike at redline all day and have nothing but open racetrack in front of you, have at it.

For the guys on the street who have drastically different parameters, like, say, stoplights, speedlimits, traffic or law enforcement, (or for some reason cant open it up in top gear down your driveway or street) I would say that location is still an oil boiler.
About all I can say is that if it is such an issue running the oil cooler in that location, because the heat will cause all kinds of issues, then what about the lower radiator hose?

It runs in basically the same location as the relocated oil cooler. The rubber hose doesn't melt. The cooling system seems to have no issues with a hose by the header. In fact it causes no issues what so ever.
So why would you have an issue with a metal oil cooler? If there was enough heat to "boil" the oil wouldn't the coolant in the rubber hose turn to steam long before that happened?

Unless there is some real proof that running the oil cooler down low actually causes an issue I will continue to mount them in the lower location and have never run into any problems with the mounting location.
Plus it gives the added bonus of removing the hot air coming off the cooler from entering the airbox.

Carry On.