SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   HELP - Hawk Died on Hiway (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/help-hawk-died-hiway-22783/)

nnjhawk02 06-04-2010 06:27 PM

HELP - Hawk Died on Hiway

Ok

Have new R/R & battery installed last year, about 5k ago.

Anyway, riding home today, while lane splitting ;) VTR just died. iTs an '02

Pulled over - hit starter - bike cranked, but would not start :(

Luckily a friend lives about 20 mins away - came & trailered to his place, we started checking stuff.

Pulled spark plugs & front had none & rear very little. Then heard a whining noise w/ ignition on @ rear of bike. Behind R/R is a silver controller (ignition ICU ?) anyway it was making noise - a whine, squeal, not loud. Is that normal?

Just got home & starting to look at manual & here - but if anyone knows what it could be please HELP

I'm suppose to ride to Canada this next week!!! - OH No HELP

Thanks

Bluesuperhawk83 06-04-2010 07:16 PM

my little silver box under the seat never makes any noise so i guess that could be your problem. I just thought it was a handy pedistal for my insurance card and registration papers.

nnjhawk02 06-05-2010 01:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
What is this?

the ignition signal pulse?

This is making the whining sound as mentioned in 1st post

residentg 06-05-2010 04:17 AM

It is called a "converter unit". I do not know what it does. It is mentioned on page 17-3 several times as a possible culprit for No Spark electrical issues, and then through out chap 17. Take a look and run some of the tests. As for the whinning, chould be a lose circuit board connection aggravated by pulses.

I found this:

http://www.vendio.com/stores/FastShi...f-cd/lid=70118

plus 6 others listed on ebay

nnjhawk02 06-05-2010 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by residentg (Post 268889)
It is called a "converter unit". I do not know what it does. It is mentioned on page 17-3 several times as a possible culprit for No Spark electrical issues, and then through out chap 17. Take a look and run some of the tests. As for the whinning, chould be a lose circuit board connection aggravated by pulses.

I found this:

http://www.vendio.com/stores/FastShi...f-cd/lid=70118

plus 6 others listed on ebay

thanks for info.

Tweety 06-05-2010 05:17 AM

That's the box responsible for the spark, simple explanation... And while it is possible that it's a connection like residentg said, I'd put my money on a blown capacitor... They typicly "whine" when they have failed and it's more likely than a loose connector since most parts inside would be potted and unable to move...

residentg 06-05-2010 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Tweety (Post 268895)
...I'd put my money on a blown capacitor... They typicly "whine" when they have failed and it's more likely than a loose connector since most parts inside would be potted and unable to move...

Tweety is right - I remember my electronics class now. I was a bit potted back then myself. Thanks. JB

nnjhawk02 06-05-2010 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Tweety (Post 268895)
That's the box responsible for the spark, simple explanation... And while it is possible that it's a connection like residentg said, I'd put my money on a blown capacitor... They typicly "whine" when they have failed and it's more likely than a loose connector since most parts inside would be potted and unable to move...

Is the capacitor in there or some where else?

Tweety 06-05-2010 06:29 AM

It's in there... Buried in potting material... Not something you want to play with removing... Usually you end up damaging something else before you get it all out and can fix what's broken in the first place... With the symptoms I'd say odds are good you can swap that box and keep riding... But I'd probably recommend going through all the electronics like R/R, stator battery an full harness and checking it before you do... Just to make sure the dead CDI is the cause and not the effect of your problems...

nnjhawk02 06-05-2010 07:48 AM

Is there a way to test the CDI??

How much is a new one?

Little_Horse 06-05-2010 08:09 AM

no way to test yourself, it is rare they break on a hawk though so not too much worries buying used one on ebay.

Little_Horse 06-05-2010 08:14 AM

CDI $450 New
Converter unit $525 new

some examples

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...Q5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/97-05...Q5fAccessories

nnjhawk02 06-05-2010 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by cornandp (Post 268919)

Nope - see my pic its not the CDI, but the converter box, but thanks for help

I'm freaking out - I leave for F1 race Thursday & was planning on taking moto

Little_Horse 06-05-2010 09:03 AM

the second link is the converter box. I don' know why yours looks different, mine looks like the ebay link one.

nnjhawk02 06-05-2010 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by cornandp (Post 268924)
the second link is the converter box. I don' know why yours looks different, mine looks like the ebay link one.

Mas ?'s

Would the ICM be OK & the converter unit bad, or would the ICM cause the converter unit to go bad?

As stated the converter unit was make a low noise

I didn't check the ICM last nite.

VTR is at friends house - about 1 hr away

mdbuehler 06-05-2010 09:08 AM

Worked with computers for years, take a sniff of the offending part. If it smells like rat piss on a hot grill with garlic, you've popped a capacitor ;) Those things could clear the work room when they went lol!

The Bandit 400's from Suzuki were prone to capacitor failure over time. I successfully swapped those out on mine, making a huge difference in starting / running etc. Getting to the board was the biggest trick, as they weren't really designed to be serviced. Involved a bit of chipping, cutting, melting and cursing.

residentg 06-05-2010 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by nnjhawk02 (Post 268921)
...I'm freaking out - I leave for F1 race Thursday & was planning on taking moto

ask the ebay sellers if they will overnight a unit to you. Whoever says yes, gets the buy.

JB

nnjhawk02 06-05-2010 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by residentg (Post 268929)
ask the ebay sellers if they will overnight a unit to you. Whoever says yes, gets the buy.

JB

I think I will proceed like this.

1. After talking to 2 moto mech. whom I know - one of which is a Hawk owner - the converter unit should NOT be making any noise.

2. Try to find a used one, as the cheapest I've seen a new 1 is about $380. OUCH. But the ebay ones I've seen the plug is mounted different from mine - see pic below

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k1...0604002001.jpg

3. tomorrow on way to work stop by where bike is now & test the ICM to make sure that is OK.

4. Have parts over-nighted so I can be on road Thursday morning to F1 in Montreal!!

on two, ready break

residentg 06-05-2010 09:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
what year is your bike? I have a 99 and an 05, I will look to see if they are different.

UPDATE:
The 1999 unit has the plug on the flat / top side of the box
The 2005 unit has the plug on the side of the box like the one in your photo.

My guess - they are functionally the same. Honda only lists one part number: 30460-MBB-E30. The fiche shows the older flat side mount in the diagram (#32).

Attachment 27325

lazn 06-05-2010 11:01 AM

If the older style unit will work on your newer bike, then this one here is from inderocker one of our esteemed moderators: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CONVE...Q5fAccessories

residentg 06-05-2010 11:17 AM

that is cheap insurance!

nuhawk 06-05-2010 11:23 AM

Inde can be trusted and knows his stuff. Several members here have done business with him (me too! - those damn wheels still haunt me) and he's a "get it done" guy. Airlines still do "next flight out" but you pay for someone to hand carry your part from counter to counter.

Partsman 06-05-2010 11:36 AM

Glad it didn't just happen to me.....

Originally Posted by nuhawk (Post 268946)
Inde can be trusted and knows his stuff. Several members here have done business with him (me too! - those damn wheels still haunt me) and he's a "get it done" guy. Airlines still do "next flight out" but you pay for someone to hand carry your part from counter to counter.

I had the same problem....same noise.....replaced CDI no more issues.....I hope it is that easy for you....Good luck.....I have purchased from Inderocker....I would recommend.

Little_Horse 06-05-2010 11:56 AM

Also I doubt the CDI would fry the converter. Just my opinion though.

nnjhawk02 06-05-2010 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by residentg (Post 268935)
what year is your bike? I have a 99 and an 05, I will look to see if they are different.

UPDATE:

My guess - they are functionally the same. Honda only lists one part number: 30460-MBB-E30. The fiche shows the older flat side mount in the diagram (#32).

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/x...gHarness-1.jpg

Yo would there be a difference between an '03 & mine ('02) - I doubt it. But I saw one OEM parts web site that had an '03 w/ different part # & was also cheaper - I think $330 new for an '03

residentg 06-05-2010 01:39 PM

If it were me, I would ask inde to overnight his $19 unit, it will probably work and you can go on your trip. If not, relist it and buy a new one. Electrical issues are tough to diagnose and can be expensive. This is a cheap way out. My 2 cents. Study the wiring diagram in the service manual, see what you can find out.

SPRHK 06-05-2010 01:59 PM

Pat, buy Inde's and git r dun!

nnjhawk02 06-05-2010 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by SPRHK (Post 268975)
Pat, buy Inde's and git r dun!

Will do - but need it here - quick

I've already reached out to him

Tweety 06-05-2010 02:33 PM

I can confirm that they work when swapped between years... The only reason for the different design is that on the older ones they are mounted lying flat in the ass... On the newer ones they sit outside the subframe by the R/R... So the plug is mounted where it's easy to connect/disconnect... No other differences...

nnjhawk02 06-09-2010 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by residentg (Post 268935)

UPDATE:

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/x...gHarness-1.jpg

Oh Shyte

Well I just got the part - Note to All: Do Not use USPS to ship overnite - bought from Inde off Fleabay & since USPS needs a signature for their Express Mail - my mech just got the package, but had to pick up @ local PO - not really convenient, when UPS or FedEx just leaves it...I know a bit picky - but if it was delivered yesterday, then...

I would have known 24 hrs ago that the part is different than mine. The plugs do not match!!!!!!!!!!!

My mech is messing around w/ my plastic connector plug to modify so it fits - should know within the hr if it works

Crossing fingers

I'm suppose to leave tomorrow @ 7am for road trip