SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Help! Electrical burning!! (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/help-electrical-burning-12858/)

ali_squidz 10-04-2007 05:56 AM

Help! Electrical burning!!

Hey I was on my way in to work today and I smelled this horrible stench. Not the usual electrical burning smell. It would come and go. I hurried my butt to work and checked it out in the parking lot.
Its a silver box along the subframe on the right side when you are sitting on the bike. It's so hot I burned my hand. That doesnt usually get that hot does it?? It was only a 10 mile ride to work. I rode it last night and it was fine.
What is the box? Should I hurry my butt and get it home before it burns to the ground or something? I have a doctor appt this am and Im afraid to ride it there because I dont want it to die on me or burn to the ground.:(

lazn 10-04-2007 06:05 AM

my guess is that your R/R died. Time for a new one, if your battery is strong enough, unplug it and drive home, so that you don't get a fire..

superbling 10-04-2007 06:18 AM

If the "silver box" is mounted on the right subframe, it's the R/R and it's going (or went) out. If you unplug it AND your headlight, you should be able to make it back home IF your battery isn't fried also. Check the voltage, should be 12.6 or higher at rest.

Good luck!

ali_squidz 10-04-2007 06:40 AM

Im just going to haul butt and try to make it home. I will keep you guys posted. I gotta get it changed out for my car before my 1030 appt. EEEk!

lazn 10-04-2007 06:42 AM

She only has 10 miles to go to get home, even with the headlight in there she should be able to make it.

camaroguy72 10-04-2007 07:22 AM

hauling ass doesnt help conserve your battery, take it easy and try not to stop. sounds like the r/r to me as well. I replaced mine witha gsxr one and the harness. I have a spare zx6r one that should work as well as a harness i could cut up so you have the pigtails to attach t your melted wiring harness

ali_squidz 10-04-2007 07:54 AM

I made it!!! Im back at work now. thank god!!
Thank you guys... seriously you guys here are all like... a support group. I pretty much had it all figured out before I came on here but you guys helped me emotionally. LOL
I know that sounds really dumb and stuff but we all know how much our bikes mean to us. When somethings wrong, its really hard to not get all emotional about it...
Yes Im a female. I get emotional! LOL

Randman 10-04-2007 03:49 PM

I'd say it's the R/R, you may want to have that looked at, and possibly replace with a new one...LOL>...Sarcasm at best....

nuhawk 10-04-2007 05:56 PM

Why not ask her what kind of oil she uses while you're at it? She might also be interested in a new rear shock.

ali_squidz 10-05-2007 06:36 AM

I answer to no KCs

Randman 10-05-2007 06:39 AM

Perhaps if she would have put some oil in the R/R it would have worked properly, then she wouldn't have this problem?? I'm just saying...

ali_squidz 10-05-2007 06:52 AM

what kind of oil do you suggest KC??? LOL

Randman 10-05-2007 06:57 AM

Baby oil of course!!

I hear they use real ba....ah, never mind....LOL

ali_squidz 10-05-2007 07:07 AM

lol I would use it if that were the case.

Randman 10-05-2007 07:27 AM

No, No, you don't need a case...just a bottle

ali_squidz 10-06-2007 01:36 PM

what honda cbr had the better version of this?

iscoot 10-06-2007 03:26 PM

wow!!! i am on my second replacement R/R. the first replacement (moded
1000RR unit Electrolux??? i think) lasted 3k miles?!?! junk!!! hoping
that a Made in Japan unit will last 5k miles. also helps to buy a good battery (not CycleGear crap!).
my Napa bat. has been on my bench for a year. i put the meter to it and
... gejowee 12.5v!!!! wow! a good battery!

happytrack44 10-06-2007 10:01 PM

Just fired up my project hawk 2 nights ago. Hat the volt meter hooked up to the battery as I ran it in. Nearly scorched my hand on the sub frame on the right side, looked at the meter and it was climbing thru 14.25 volts. I modded the harness and plugged in a 93 gs500 Suzuki regulator that peaks at 13.65 volts and leaves it dormant at 12.8.
The superhawk regulator casing is too small and will not sink off the heat natural to this circuit. This will cause failure and usually battery overdrive. Any 5 wire regulator can be wired into this system, the more fins the better.

ali_squidz 10-16-2007 06:11 AM

anyways... whats the improved replacement for this??? lazn told me but he went on vacation to europe for 2 weeks. is it a cbr 600 f2??

8541Hawk 10-16-2007 07:40 AM

I got my last one here http://www.regulatorrectifier.com
and it's working fine.

autoteach 10-16-2007 03:18 PM

If you can make a braket to mount it in the front fairing, it pays off big!!!! I unwrapped the wires following a near meltdown, due to an undertail exhaust fiasco that I am not quite finished finding the solution for. I was able to get almost all the way up to the right side fairing (added about a foot or so of wiring) and made a bracket thati could mount it to and get reasonable airflow over. It has saved the day, no doubt, and when I finally put the after market RR on the bike I am sure that it will keep it happy for many years.

engineer 11-04-2007 07:47 PM

So do you still live with your parents?

Originally Posted by autoteach (Post 133254)
If you can make a braket to mount it in the front fairing, it pays off big!!!! I unwrapped the wires following a near meltdown, due to an undertail exhaust fiasco that I am not quite finished finding the solution for. I was able to get almost all the way up to the right side fairing (added about a foot or so of wiring) and made a bracket thati could mount it to and get reasonable airflow over. It has saved the day, no doubt, and when I finally put the after market RR on the bike I am sure that it will keep it happy for many years.

autoteach 11-05-2007 05:21 AM

Engiqueer,
Your first post is this??? Seems to me that I know you and the only reason you are here is to be a raging homo:gay: I happen to own my own house, assnob.