SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Help with diagnosis? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/help-diagnosis-34614/)

michaelbc 07-05-2017 08:41 AM

Help with diagnosis?

Greetings, I bought my '01 recently, and thought I'd cured the flat spot at 3k rpm by installing the correct dyno jets and resetting the needles as per the instructions. The PO had them wrong. While I was in there I balanced the carbs and removed the PAIR system. New plugs as well. Now the bike starts and idles fine, and accelerates smoothly with no flat spot, even goes well on the highway, but no burst of acceleration when I try to pass. It will accelerate, but feels like it's bogging down. I suspect I may have pinched one or both diaphragms when reinstalling, would that create my situation? I'd hate to get it back together and discover it was something else! Thanks for any insight.

xeris 07-06-2017 06:54 AM

I don't think the symptoms match, but check the position fuel hose on the fuel valve.

smokinjoe73 07-06-2017 09:10 AM

Did you do the work yourself or did a shop do it?

Either way check that the vacuum hose is connected to the correct nipple. If not then you are not going to have good fuel flow and the bike would act like you described.

7moore7 07-09-2017 06:20 AM

Look for PVLIR like Joe said- might be getting enough fuel to ride, but not enough delivery under heavy load.

michaelbc 07-09-2017 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by 7moore7 (Post 403077)
Look for PVLIR like Joe said- might be getting enough fuel to ride, but not enough delivery under heavy load.

the bike will sustain 7k or more rpms, is that consistent? I'm getting back into it this week, need to replace the cam chain tensioners as well. Will report. Thanks

michaelbc 07-16-2017 10:27 PM

So, the diaphragms look OK, no kinks etc, I have the correct (dynojet) springs installed. When I took the airbox off, the rear choke cable wasn't properly seated in it's holder. The rear plug was fairly carboned, while the front was the proper brown colour. I'm hoping that's all it was. I'll finish the CCTs and try it out.

captainchaos 07-16-2017 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by michaelbc (Post 403226)
When I took the airbox off, the rear choke cable wasn't properly seated in it's holder.

Also make sure the plastic nut that holds the choke to the carb isn't broken, as they're known to do...

michaelbc 07-21-2017 11:34 PM

Well apparently the current owner (me) was a bit ham fisted when putting the carbs back together; I have no idea how that choke cable got dislodged. Long story short - the new CCTs are installed and the bike is running beautifully. Thanks for all the responses. These really are great bikes!

smokinjoe73 07-22-2017 02:31 AM

Man those things will self destruct if you even think an impure thought before during or after the operation.

We have all broken them, thus the switch to the brass fittings from Polaris. Even if you let a shop do the work, they will break them (but never admit it.)

Glad to hear it worked out. Consider replacing those elbows.