SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   HELLLLP! Electrical problem. (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/hellllp-electrical-problem-25336/)

oldschoolcarbs 04-24-2011 01:30 PM

HELLLLP! Electrical problem.

I've got a real puzzler here: I can't get any spark. I drove the bike to a friend's house. When I got on it to go home an hour later it wouldn't start.

We've checked continuity through the key, the start and the kill switches; we've checked for proper functioning of the sidestand switch, the clutch switch, and the neutral indicator; we've checked the resistances at the coils—both primary and secondary—and all fuses. Everything checks out. We even tried some coils from a CBR, which someone suggested. We even acquired a new spark unit and nothing matters.

It simply will NOT make a spark any more. Nada. Zero.

WHAT AM I MISSING HERE????

I've got TONS of experience with 70's and 80's Hondas but I'm about to drop this thing in the dumpster.

If there's anyone in the San Jose CA area I'll PAY you to fix it. I'm too busy with my carburetor restoration business to spend any more time on this.

8541Hawk 04-24-2011 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by oldschoolcarbs (Post 300220)
I've got a real puzzler here: I can't get any spark. I drove the bike to a friend's house. When I got on it to go home an hour later it wouldn't start.

We've checked continuity through the key, the start and the kill switches; we've checked for proper functioning of the sidestand switch, the clutch switch, and the neutral indicator; we've checked the resistances at the coils—both primary and secondary—and all fuses. Everything checks out. We even tried some coils from a CBR, which someone suggested. We even acquired a new spark unit and nothing matters.

It simply will NOT make a spark any more. Nada. Zero.

WHAT AM I MISSING HERE????

I've got TONS of experience with 70's and 80's Hondas but I'm about to drop this thing in the dumpster.

If there's anyone in the San Jose CA area I'll PAY you to fix it. I'm too busy with my carburetor restoration business to spend any more time on this.

Send me a PM and we'll see what we can work out. ;)

nykuryu 04-24-2011 02:16 PM

Dead cdi box?

Hawkrider 04-24-2011 03:46 PM

The signal to the coils to fire isn't there. That comes from the CDI. The CDI gets it from the pulse generator which is located under the right side engine cover (clutch cover). Check to ensure the wiring/connectors are good between the pulse generator and the CDI. If everything checks out then perform the peak voltage check of the pulse generator (page 17-5 of service manual). This procedure will point you to the potential problem. If you need a good wiring diagram email me at gnemish <at> cox <dot> net and I'll send it to you.

executioner 05-17-2011 04:51 PM

hey guys - i have this exact problem!!

have you gotten your bike up and going again? what was the cause??

8541Hawk 05-17-2011 06:11 PM

It was the pulse generator. ;)

bass4dude 05-18-2011 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk (Post 303110)
It was the pulse generator. ;)

It did turn out to be the pulse generators!

But on executioners OP where he's diagnosing it he claimed that he was getting the .7v from the generators and it sounds more like a dead converter to me =( Yikes.
I'd offer to ship my extra over but the connector changed between the years.