SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Helibar vs Stock (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/helibar-vs-stock-10438/)

nuhawk 01-29-2007 10:14 PM

Helibar vs Stock

1 Attachment(s)
There's been a lot of discussion about clipons and bars. From the beginning, I have had problems with my hands going to sleep. That went away after a while as I learned how to work it. With that passed, what I could not get away from was the ache low in the heal of my hand. I bought a set of Vortex clipons from a member here thinking that they might be the answer but as it turns out they have exactly the same geometry (rider lean angle and end drop) as the stockers. I didn't so much care about the rider lean angle because I like getting the front end in quick but the drop was killing me. After taping some pieces of wood to my gloves did I figure out that I just needed to lose the drop. In the shot below you can see that the Helibar in back is little higher but the lack of drop is even more substantial. I had these all out on the bench doing some clean up and the oil bottles fit just right so I thought I would post a shot for everyone to see. BTW the Vortex in the foreground are for sale - $70 shipped. I will post up after I get back on the bike and try them out.

RickB 01-30-2007 05:33 AM

I had the same hand issues and picked up a used set of helibars - what a difference they made for me!

L-man 01-30-2007 05:38 AM

Nuhawk , thanks....
I want some Heli-bars!!!!!!!
L-man out

Lefin102 01-30-2007 07:49 AM

There is another option its converti bars. I looked into it but haven't acted yet.

jschmidt 01-30-2007 08:44 AM

That ache you describe may come from the pullback angle, not the angle down. If you trim about 1/8" off the locating pin on the stock clipons, you'll move the bar angle about 1/2" forward. You can go farther if you like.

This solved a similar problem for me.

RPV-Hawk 01-30-2007 09:13 AM

I too had issues with by hands going numb and heel/palm pain. I tried Gen-Mar Risers with no success, so then went to Heli-bars. I haven't had the problem since.

Dave Wicks 01-30-2007 09:55 AM

Bars

Hey Guys;

I tend to sport-tour...I'm kind of old, but kind of an iron butt. I'm wondering about size and weight with handlebar pain..I have hardly ridden my VTR..got it last fall...raised the stock units about 1/2 in. I'm 5'7" about 160 lbs..reasonable shape...are the bigger guys suffering more on this bike or is it any and all that need bar relief???

Dave:)

3D02 01-30-2007 10:33 AM

My bars/clip-ons are stock. I bought a "Crampbuster" and it made a world of difference on longer rides.

nuhawk 01-30-2007 11:47 AM

Just to clarify a couple things. Dave, I'm 5 lb. heavier than you about about an inch taller. The ache is not about long rides as it will start to occur almost immediately into any kind of a ride. That's why I use the Superhawk almost exclusively around town. I can take a break at every light. Because the Helibars do not have the locating pin as do the stockers I can play with forward position. I would like to make the bike more enjoyable for a 100-200 mile day through the back roads.

trinity012 01-30-2007 12:06 PM

Hi gentleman I have questions about replace clip on w/stocker, how difficult is it? Bcause I never done it before and afraid of throtle got stuck if install it not right and and how do I strip that throtle control grip w/out tear it up? plus will it make steering control heavier, and effect steering clearance of the plastic panels? Clip on 10 degree angle bar, 21 oz/pair, fit 41mm fork side. I' m 5'7 155lbs. Thanks ahead for any advices and help's info. James

Lefin102 01-30-2007 12:38 PM

The hardest part I think is replacing the grips. And if you get the new Heli Bars you have to switch the dampers in the ends. PITA also. They don't have clearance problems. I put my clipons in boiling water to help soften the glue to remove them. A friend told me you can use hair spray to install the grips just spray the clipons and push on the grips. As far as the cables you might have to left the tank and loosen the cables at the carbs if you dno't have the room to get the throttle tube off. Good luck

Birdoprey 01-30-2007 01:08 PM

hairspray is good to install with, lets the grip slide on then dries to a glue.
an easy way to remove grips is with a hypodermic needle and water. insert the needle thru the grip at an angle until you feel the needle hit the bar/sleeve and inject a little water in. repeat in 3 or 4 places and twist and pull the grip off. water dries and you're ready to install again.

Dominion 02-01-2007 11:10 AM

I have the same problem when I ride. Im doing a RC51 front end swap and decided to run a set of 954 clip ons. They are much taller than the factory VTR and taller than the RC's clip ons. Just some food for thought for anyone with 50mm forks. :cool:

~Brian

SlowHAWK 02-01-2007 01:08 PM

Here's my 2 cents....

With the stock forks.... I too had the hand numb/pains in the outside half of my hands from say the middle finger to the wrist outward towards my pinky finger...

I switched over to VFR clipons... which are a bit taller, slightly closer to the rider, and the angle is more horizontal/flatter (the stockers angle more towards the ground) and they helped a whole lot. I'm sure Heli's are better, but for 1/2 the price (EBAY), the VFRs seemed to work nicely, only modifications is you need to drill/dremmel a hole or slot for both the throttle and brake mounts. And you lose the ability to set the clipons in the "locating pins/slots", but at least with VFR's, you don't need to cut them off, they are just in the wrong place.

I'm in the process of a RC front end swap, I have a set of 954 clipons and a set of Heli's for a GSXR750.... the 954's are taller, but are further forward, the GSXR Helis are shorter, but closer to the rider and flatter. In my comparison to stock, (not very technical comparison) the GSXR Heli's under the RC triple are fairly close to the original clip on placement for the 'Hawk, although I may eventually have to go get a set of RC/954 Helis and try to get closer to the position my bars are at now to get the comfort back in.

J.

swordfish 02-02-2007 11:42 AM

I also got vortex clip-ons after I bent my left stocker. I also angled them out farther forward. but my motivation was better leverage. plus I never liked the way clip-ons felt when they had a steep swept-in angle. anyway, I don't get much numbness in the hands anymore but it is a bit of a stretch. I'm right up against the tank. but that does give me good turn-in feel. tougher to wheelie tho. (but not much)

KC-10ENG 02-02-2007 01:59 PM

Hey Slohawk,

Just from what I have read the TL1000 heli-bars have the largest amount of rise.

SlowHAWK 02-02-2007 02:22 PM

Yeah.... I just came across the GSXR's at a decent price, so I took the chance... I'm keeping my eyes open though for a set of 954's, or TL's... and then I'll sell the GSXR's.

J.

thehandyman 02-03-2007 05:16 AM

well I'm 6'4 242lbs. helibars are the trick I bought mine new and worried about spending that much. I think it was worth every penny. rode 750miles in a day and my hands were just fine but even with the corbin seat my butt was screaming lol.

blupleous 02-03-2007 06:30 AM

hey handy. that is the kind of conviction i like to hear. how was the install? any issues? a little off topic but also how does your passenger find the corbin backrest?

zimm 02-04-2007 08:55 AM

I just installed the superhawk helibars too- after 9 years and 24,000 miles of my right hand falling asleep. When I installed them to the most comfortable position, they're awesome, but hit the windscreen and didn't allow me to go lock to lock. With the bars pulled back enough to clear the screen, my wrist are cramped a bit from the pull back, but it's still much better. I'm still getting used to the new angle- it actually makes the bike feel much smaller and more maneuverable with the bars angled back further.

shayne 02-04-2007 08:42 PM

Ah Nuhawk, this sounds very familiar to me....... I had the same problem. So I had some custom clip ons made out of stainless steel. They were made to allow the most improvement with the standard fairing without hitting.

Removing grips is done very easily with compressed air. Takes 5 seconds, you will not believe how easy it is.

Get yourself an NEC throttle lock. When you mount it, pull it apart and reverse it so you can fit it upside down. It will not get caught near the tank on full lock this way. I personally find it easier ti use upside down, I find it hard to reach in the normal position, and when I lock it on it turned the throttle! With it reversed I lock it on with my left hand and hold the throttle steady with my right. It is easy enough to unlock with thumb or finger.

I realise this is not how it is supposed to work, but it works better for me.

vtrgeoff 02-05-2007 04:52 AM

I have Helibars on my 99 Firestorm. They were the first modification I made after I bought the bike. The second/third were a Sargent saddle and a Secdem High Protection windscreen.

WRT the clearance issues for the Helibars, I made a couple of spacers from an old truck mudflap I found in the ditch. The spacers fit between the fairing and the stay where the mirrors mount. They give me an extra 1/8 - 1/4 inches clearance.

I also installed a pair of Grand Touring USA hand grips. They are shaped like a barrel and are easily .5 inches larger in diameter than the stock grips. Very comfortable.

I saw them first on an Ironbutt Blackbird a the Sportbike Rally in Parry Sound, Ont. I remember thinking to myself...."Here's a guy that does some SERIOUS riding, those grips have gotta be comfy!!!"

And they are.

Geoff in Almonte
99VTR

RedHotFireStorm 02-05-2007 07:56 PM

My bike came with Heli bars, and I can say that I can't imagine riding -comfortably- without them. I then bought an aftermarket seat, to enjoy a good long day's ride.
Replacement seat + heli bars = much more riding enjoyment on this bike, in my opinion. So go for it...you won't regret it.

Hawkrider 02-05-2007 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by vtrgeoff (Post 41080)
...I made a couple of spacers from an old truck mudflap I found in the ditch....

Geoff in Almonte
99VTR

Well, that's interesting....borderline ingenious, maybe. +1 on the mudflap mod. :rotf:

superbling 02-05-2007 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkrider (Post 41159)
Well, that's interesting....borderline ingenious, maybe. +1 on the mudflap mod. :rotf:

I used large rubber washers from Lowes. RTV'ed them on so they wouldn't shift on the mirror stalk holes when reinstalling the fairing. PITA if you don't.

OrionKeynes 05-10-2007 06:21 AM

3 Attachment(s)
First, Thanks to all the posts here to help me decide on what handlebar mod to go with. I chose the Helibars because I didn't have to mod anything else. That said, in my research I could not find a picture of the difference between the helibars and the stock bars, so here are a couple of pictures with the Helibar on the Left and the Stock bar on the right (from the Riding Position)with some lines drawn to highlight the difference. The hardest part for me was the dampers. Mine were really old and rusted shut, so I'm off to get some new ones.

I hope this helps anyone else that was looking for something other than the marketing picture :)

Oh, and ignore the position of the clutch lever - I hadn't adjusted it yet

Darkone22 05-10-2007 08:06 AM

im running LSL rizers and bars. There nice help out on the longer runs

rideawn 05-10-2007 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Darkone22 (Post 52320)
im running LSL rizers and bars. There nice help out on the longer runs

Do you happen to have the LSL part #'s?

rideawn 05-10-2007 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by OrionKeynes (Post 52307)
. The hardest part for me was the dampers. Mine were really old and rusted shut, so I'm off to get some new ones.

Bar end dampers? If so, is there a trick to get them out when they just spin in the tube? Mine are doing this.

Hawkrider 05-10-2007 12:33 PM

Hold the bar end and loosen the screw. An impact driver may be required.