SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Headligth switch... A question? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/headligth-switch-question-12886/)

Tweety 10-08-2007 06:24 AM

Headligth switch... A question?

I have a question I hope you guys can help me with...:)

As I'm from Sweden I'm riding a Euro-style "Firestorm"... Minor differences only... but one thing in particular irritates me to no end...

My lefthand switch (headligh & horn and indicators) is one of the dumbest constructions ever made by Honda, almost the same class as the R/R...

It has a slide switch for the headligth with three positions, one for the ligths off, one where it's on and in between a setting where only the stupid little ligth on the front is on... totaly useless as it's illegal to use that setting when riding... and then comes the brilliant part, a separate button for high/low beam as a pashbutton above the indicator switch...

This is stupid in several ways, first off the button is in an bad position as you constantly turn of the indicators instead of hitting the rigth switch and because the switch is a badly designed it requires some force to push, wich forces you to reposition the hand to use it...

Second, it's about as weather proof as a wad of tissue paper... I have had mine apart several times to clean it after getting moisture in there...

The result of this is that unless i clean it regularly and lube it to keep out moisture, my button has the worderful feature of hanging... usually in the highbeam setting... Very amusing...

Then in some of the clip-on threads I saw your headligth switch, and it looked different... As far as I could see no separate hi/lo button? I'm guessing it is set by the slide switch? Is it possible to turn the ligths off?

The reason I'm asking is that if I'm going to replace this one I migth as well get a US style switch if it meets the needs instead of getting yet another one with the same dumb design...

superbling 10-08-2007 06:40 AM

Yes, you have a different switch than the US. We have a mandatory headlight use law so the switch has no off setting nor the flash to pass option.

pigwings 10-08-2007 08:48 AM

switch

If you want some help getting a VTR switch, let me know. Then you could download the VTR wiring diagram and rewire yours, maybe.

Doesn't Henning Mankell come from around there? Read most of his novels.

Tweety 10-08-2007 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by superbling (Post 132428)
Yes, you have a different switch than the US. We have a mandatory headlight use law so the switch has no off setting nor the flash to pass option.

Well, the flash to pass button is kinda useless anyway, so I wouldn't miss that...:) But I'd like to be able to switch of the ligths when starting on cold mornings (I ride almost all year, so...) Hmm...

Originally Posted by pigwings (Post 132450)
If you want some help getting a VTR switch, let me know. Then you could download the VTR wiring diagram and rewire yours, maybe.

Doesn't Henning Mankell come from around there? Read most of his novels.

Heh... I got a VTR switch...:) a VTR Firestorm... J/K...:)

As far as i can tell from the US and European wiring diagrams the plug should be the same, so I could just plug in a US switch and go... Dunno about not being able to turn of the ligths thoo...

Yeah... He's from Sweden, actually from Härjedalen (northern part of Sweden) I'm rigth now in the southern tip of Sweden, but I have family up there and I know where he grew up...

And in all his books of Wallander the main character is living here in Skåne, Klagshamn where Wallander suposedly is born is about 3 km from here, Ystad where he's living/working is about 70 km away... A lot of the settings in the books, are wery familiar...:)

8541Hawk 10-08-2007 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Tweety (Post 132472)
Well, the flash to pass button is kinda useless anyway, so I wouldn't miss that...:) But I'd like to be able to switch of the ligths when starting on cold mornings (I ride almost all year, so...) Hmm...

On mine the head light goes out when you hit the starter button and yes the US switches are very water proof......

Tweety 10-08-2007 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk (Post 132474)
On mine the head light goes out when you hit the starter button and yes the US switches are very water proof......

Ok... mine doesn't, it just dims...
That would be a usefull feature, but i doubt it's in the switch alone thoo... possibly cross wired with the starter switch, but most likely a feature in the electronics...

I'll go read the wriing diagrams, there are some other differences , like we don't have the 3-wire running lights, just 2-wire indicators... so most likely the electronics boxes are different on the US and Euro models....:(

I liked it better when I though I was just gonna swap it out and all would be dandy...:(

8541Hawk 10-08-2007 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Tweety (Post 132476)
Ok... mine doesn't, it just dims...
That would be a usefull feature, but i doubt it's in the switch alone thoo... possibly cross wired with the starter switch, but most likely a feature in the electronics...

I'll go read the wriing diagrams, there are some other differences , like we don't have the 3-wire running lights, just 2-wire indicators... so most likely the electronics boxes are different on the US and Euro models....:(

I liked it better when I though I was just gonna swap it out and all would be dandy...:(

Thats to keeps us 'Mericans from getting a eruo switch so we could turn our lights off....:rolleyes:

Hawkrider 10-08-2007 07:47 PM

On US bikes it's actually the starter button that removes power from the headlight. I found this out accidentally when I replaced the starter solenoid when I had starting problems. Turned out to be a bad battery but I still had problems with the headlight not turning back on after the bike was running. Turns out there was crap in the start switch. Cleaned it up and she's good as new.

8541Hawk 10-08-2007 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkrider (Post 132529)
On US bikes it's actually the starter button that removes power from the headlight. I found this out accidentally when I replaced the starter solenoid when I had starting problems. Turned out to be a bad battery but I still had problems with the headlight not turning back on after the bike was running. Turns out there was crap in the start switch. Cleaned it up and she's good as new.

Well I didn't know that one...... guess you can learn something everyday.... :rolleyes:

Hawkrider 10-08-2007 08:21 PM

Yup, and most sportbikes since '98 use the same solenoid. My replacement was off an '06 600RR!