SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Headlight retainer clip.... HOW? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/headlight-retainer-clip-how-6258/)

sburggsx 07-08-2004 08:19 PM

Headlight retainer clip.... HOW?

After a very VERY long downtime on the bike, I finally have it running again. (don't ask...) One of the things I did during this time was to remove the 80/100 watt blue bulb I put it. The blue light makes it harder to see at night, and stop and go riding (at a race for instance) was killing the battery!

This was a couple months ago and I can't remember how the retainer clip goes back in! I also believe I may have some cracked plastic, but I'm not sure. Could someone please point me to some pictures of how this goes back together? I'd greatly appreciate it.

Steve
'98 VTR

sburggsx 07-10-2004 11:00 AM

Re: Headlight retainer clip.... HOW?

Ok, I'll beg... PLEASE...... someone just pull the dust rubber off their headlamp and snap a few pics from either side!!

I've got the whole assembly held in there by the dust rubber, but if I haven't damaged the reflector plastic I'd like to get the clip back on. Sadly I can't seem to figure out how it goes leading me to believe I broke something on removal. (I honestly don't remember taking it apart, it's been THAT long ago)

barrysuperhawk 07-11-2004 01:54 PM

Hang on, lemmie go look.... Ok, here's the deal, there isn't enough clearance in there to get a usable picture of the clip with the fairing on the bike. Purely from memory I think the open end goes up. I don't remember it being a separate part, so it's possible you broke it out of it's retainer. I suspect if you pull your fairing off it will be very obvious..

sburggsx 07-12-2004 07:21 AM

I agree, if I pull the fairing off it will probably take 10 secs to reinstall or decide it's broke. I'm just trying to avoid that. So you say the clip goes vertically and not horizontally? Or the clip is horizontal with the open end up?

(the dust cover is holding the bulb in nicely as we speak)

barrysuperhawk 07-12-2004 07:55 AM

darnit, you are going to make me go pull my fairing aren't you..

sburggsx 07-12-2004 08:01 AM

Naaa.... I'll get around to pulling it myself, if not soon maybe at mid ohio. There should be an ENDLESS supply of VTR's to inspect for proper clip installation up there!

barrysuperhawk 07-12-2004 08:05 AM

I will be at Mid-Ohio.. my Cell # is 217-899-6105...look me up..

john2kvtr 07-12-2004 11:13 AM

In the image forum I posted a couple of pictures of the pages from the service manual in PDF format showing the headlight clip. Send me your email address if you'd like me to send the actual jpgs which are larger than what you can view on the image forum.