SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Headlight Flickering (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/headlight-flickering-29358/)

amhsraptor 10-26-2012 05:03 AM

Headlight Flickering

Hey guys long time no see. Well this problem has been happening for a while now but I am finally able to do something about it, provided I figure out what is wrong. So I have a problem with my headlight getting brighter and then dimmer for no apparent reason. It typically spends about 80-90% of the time on the dimmer side, but when it is on the brighter side it seems like my low beam is brighter than my typical high beam. I did do some searching but didn't find much other than possible battery going bad which is another issue. I have replaced the R/R with one from an R6, but I was having this problem before then. Also the bulb in the headlight is brand new and it has some conductivity grease on the connectors so that end is pretty good.

Any suggestions would help.

BA

Squid 10-26-2012 03:35 PM

Maybe try a continuity test with a multimeter and jostle the head light around and see if there is any issues between plugs by moving the wires around. Is it just your headlight or when riding at night does your instrument / gauge cluster back lighting dim? Look at all grounding points on the frame and check fuses for corrosion. Thats all that I could think of for now. Hopefully this will help get the ball rolling. I take it that your battery is still strong when cranking. Also take the Hi / Low beam switch apart and look in there for corrosion. or damaged wires.

saige 10-26-2012 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Squid (Post 343941)
Maybe try a continuity test with a multimeter and jostle the head light around and see if there is any issues between plugs by moving the wires around. Is it just your headlight or when riding at night does your instrument / gauge cluster back lighting dim? Look at all grounding points on the frame and check fuses for corrosion. Thats all that I could think of for now. Hopefully this will help get the ball rolling. I take it that your battery is still strong when cranking. Also take the Hi / Low beam switch apart and look in there for corrosion. or damaged wires.

+1 on this,and check all ground contact,that will cause this too.
plus after all that checking,if all checks out,check your rectifier.
this has happened on my bike,i cleaned everything,it helped some,but the rectifier was going bad.
lights will either dim and come back up or just over charge and will have super bright lights.mine was over charging than it just started to go dim,than nothing,bike would die.

another thing would be to clean and check the contacts in the starter button and kill switch.
your head light can lose power and will dim or flicker if the contacts in the starter button is corrided or rusty.mine would go out time to time,if i flicked the starter button with my finger,or moved the button around,it would turn back on,than off if i hit a bump.
I changed my whole assembly out and never had a problem again.

amhsraptor 10-26-2012 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Squid (Post 343941)

Will do, but the cluster does not dim at all. The R/R is just over a year old, also the battery will not turn over in the cold morning. Once it has warmed up in the afternoon it starts no problem, but when it is cold in the morning and hasn't been running the night before it does not like to start.

Squid 10-26-2012 11:31 PM

How old is the batt? Was it replaced at the same time as your R/R? If it has a hard time cranking over that means the CCAs (Cold Cranking Amps) are low. YOu could try a trickle charge over night and look at your R/R and the plug for it but if that doenst work I would buy a new batt.

amhsraptor 10-28-2012 10:39 AM

I'm thinking of getting a new batt b/c the CCAs do seem really low (that was my initial assessment). The R/R was replaced almost a year after the battery and the battery was supposedly new when I bought it.