SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Head job (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/head-job-26471/)

3amta3 08-26-2011 04:57 PM

Head job

how much and how difficult would it be to do my own head job. i have a tic and i am about positive that it is the valves.

shake-n-bake 08-26-2011 05:09 PM

please tell me im not the only one with my head in the gutter lmao

3amta3 08-26-2011 05:45 PM

calm down i said head not hand...lol

VTRsurfer 08-26-2011 05:51 PM

How flexible are you? Dogs seem to have no problem doing it at all.

Oh, never mind. You must mean valve job. Did you bend or burn a valve? Or are you talking about valve adjustment?

I see from your first post that you have a valve "tic". That would be a loose valve, requiring a valve adjustment, not easy on these bikes. It requires good mechanical ability, and much attention to detail. You'll find threads on valve adjustment if you do a search.

smokinjoe73 08-26-2011 07:42 PM

Yeah, you mean valve adjustment. I thought you meant head gasket, which would require lapping the head. The valve adjustment is no cake walk. It is time consuming but doable. It depends on how long you want to be off the bike.

johndoeafro 08-26-2011 08:38 PM

I just adjusted my valves for the first time while I was installing a set of manual CCTs. I had never done something this involved on any machine before.
I found it to be time consuming, as it took me the better part of a day, but not complicated. A lot of my time was spent triple checking everything. A pro estimated the job at 3 bills, I spent roughly 20 dollars to do it myself. My cost does not include tools (i needed a feeler gauge), reference materials that are a big help if you don't already own some (Haynes and the factory service manual), or beer.

Kendrick 08-26-2011 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by johndoeafro (Post 312630)
I just adjusted my valves for the first time while I was installing a set of manual CCTs. I had never done something this involved on any machine before.
I found it to be time consuming, as it took me the better part of a day, but not complicated. A lot of my time was spent triple checking everything. A pro estimated the job at 3 bills, I spent roughly 20 dollars to do it myself. My cost does not include tools (i needed a feeler gauge), reference materials that are a big help if you don't already own some (Haynes and the factory service manual), or beer.

I second that. I did a top end rebuild after my CCT failure. The actual work didn't take nearly as long as the neurotic triple checking...

RCVTR 08-26-2011 09:57 PM

Check for an exhaust leak.
Take a piece of plastic hose. stick one end in your ear - ok, not IN your ear. Take the other end and put it near the exhaust flanges on your header - where it goes into the head.

A valve adjustment is not rocket science...

VTRsurfer 08-26-2011 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by RCVTR (Post 312633)
Check for an exhaust leak.
Take a piece of plastic hose. stick one end in your ear - ok, not IN your ear. Take the other end and put it near the exhaust flanges on your header - where it goes into the head..

+1

An exhaust leak at the head, where the exhaust bolts on, can sound just like a loose valve.

You can also use a long blade screwdriver. Place the blade on the valve cover, and the handle against your ear. If it's a loose valve, you'll hear a metallic ticking.