SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Hawk is down - my bike is having issues (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/hawk-down-my-bike-having-issues-29249/)

Blueracer 10-01-2012 04:23 PM

Hawk is down - my bike is having issues

I have a 2003. It only as 4,600 miles. It always starts up. Now I go to sell it because the simple fact is that I don't have time to ride it. I need some help guys. I had an oil change done in April. I take it out every 3 weeks for 10 minutes just to warm it up so it does move not like it sat for 3 years. This is what happened. I had a guy come by to look/buy it. I figured I better warm it up. Which is typically no big deal - Not this time. I opened the choke let it warm up for a few minutes. Then took off and pushed the choke in. It was backfiring and lurching for about 2 miles (never happen). Eveytime I would come to a light it would die. The gas had been in for a few months only about 1/2 gallon. So I put a full tank of premium. Still bucking along. Have to restart it if I wan't throttling (battery is a year old). Eventually it wet dead and I had to jump it. So talked to a few folks. I bought seafoam swished it around. Still issues. I emptied the tank and burned through a can of seafoam to clean it - still issues. Always guessing that the carbs were gumed up and that my clean it up?? Still would not run w/o the choke open. I'd rev it up to 5000rpm - backfire. Talked to few folks. They said the plug may be fowled? I don't think it has ever been changed. I am trying to do that it has been very difficult to it and get it out. Again I am sellng this so I don't want to dump $400 into i for a carb cleaning. I am not handy at all. I want some advice to see what the issue is?? It was in mint condition and easy sell. I don't understand why it won't run? HELP !

RWhisen 10-01-2012 04:46 PM

Sounds like you need a thorough carb cleaning.

jeephawk 10-01-2012 05:44 PM

Look a the small hoses that run to the carb. I had a buddy with a vacuum leak from a vacuum hose plug that was cracked. Little thing like that will make the bike run poorly.

Blueracer 10-04-2012 03:24 PM

All correct - good carb cleaning and it's running smooth. Now its back up for sale.
I'm a bad Hawk parent so its time to sell it. Obviously I don't have time to ride it...

Seoulja 10-04-2012 07:36 PM

Where's my manners?

I have a 98' Hawk w/13k miles, high mount R1 Jardine's. When I roll off or down shift it burps, farts like no other, is this normal? I actually like the sounds!

aja 10-05-2012 08:42 AM

Do a search for "popping on decel". You will find your answer.

Caffeine 10-31-2012 05:52 PM

anyone else thinking failed CCT, cam chain jumped a tooth? I was one tooth off when I did my cct's and it ran just like you describe above..
if it is failed cct, don't run the engin, until it's checked.

aja 10-31-2012 06:43 PM

Not likely that the chain would jump one tooth and stay in place with a failed tensioner. That and he would be asking about a loud chain slap.