SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Handle bar weights. (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/handle-bar-weights-28485/)

kickerfox 06-04-2012 02:58 PM

Handle bar weights.

2 Attachment(s)
When I installed new grips, the grips are slightly longer then the handle bar. If I use generic bar ends, with the expanding rubber insert that holds them on, they have to be pulled out of the bar about 1/4" to clear the end of the grip. Do the OEM bar ends extend past the end of the bars slightly?

Here's a set of OEM replacements from ebay. Does the end of the bar stop at the point indicated with the arrow?

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...1&d=1338847364

Also, where can I find a spacer that goes on the throttle before the grip to keep the grip from rubbing on the housing? The dealer says they have no idea what I'm talking about. It goes in the area shown below.

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...1&d=1338848109

GTS 06-04-2012 04:16 PM

Yes the factory bar ends have a shoulder on them. I just bought two brand new ones only to find out the factory guts have been removed from the bars. Debating weather I want to buy the new bar guts or just try to sell or return the bar ends. The more I work on my bike the more it pisses me off that the PO f'ed it up! UGH!

Stixx 06-04-2012 05:25 PM

I don't believe it came from the factory with the spacer you are talking about. vistacruise from Sound Off Recreational comes with a clear/whiteish spacer to keep the grip from rubbing on the lock. Maybe that is what was installed at one time.

kickerfox 06-04-2012 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by GTS (Post 334818)
Yes the factory bar ends have a shoulder on them. I just bought two brand new ones only to find out the factory guts have been removed from the bars. Debating weather I want to buy the new bar guts or just try to sell or return the bar ends. The more I work on my bike the more it pisses me off that the PO f'ed it up! UGH!

Oh yes, the fun of a used bike! As much as I hate how they nickle and dime you to death, when it's finally done, it's 100% complete and it works the way it should. That's half the fun right?

I'm missing my inserts as well. I can't find any generic ebay ones I like. They're either too short, too gawdy, or sharp enough to puncture your chest. Looks like I'll be buying them.

Here's parts numbers for everything for both sides including the ends.

HONDA WEIGHT B (inner)
53105-KV3-000
2x $12.62

HONDA WEIGHT (outter)
53105-MBB-010
2x $14.96

HONDA RUBBER A
53106-MJ0-000
2x $3.22

HONDA RUBBER B
53107-MJ0-000
2x $3.05

HONDA RING
53108-MJ0-000
2x $4.18

HONDA SCREW, OVAL (6X60)
90191-KT7-750
2x $3.84

Total: $83.74 (local dealer). $63.56 (www.ronayers.com)

Originally Posted by Stixx (Post 334827)
I don't believe it came from the factory with the spacer you are talking about. vistacruise from Sound Off Recreational comes with a clear/whiteish spacer to keep the grip from rubbing on the lock. Maybe that is what was installed at one time.

My bike doesn't have it and the manual doesn't show it. I'm trying to find them so I can put one on. I'm going to see if Mcmaster-Carr has any plastic or nylon spacers. I'll have to measure the throttle twist but I think a 1" would work.

kickerfox 06-04-2012 05:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's one that might work. 1" ID, 1.75" OD, .05" thick. My grips are 2" at the thumbs.

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...1&d=1338856734

GTS 06-05-2012 12:35 AM

Yeah and the thing about all the aftermarket ones is they are aluminum which is way to light. They are actually there for a purpose other than just to garnish the ends of your bars. The weight dampens the vibrations of the bike to lessen the fatigue on you. I once rode a friends F3 that he had busted the bar ends off both sides, where we were riding fast up to Bartlet Lake from north Phoenix. From running the bike at high RPM for a long period on that ride the vibration on my hand make them numb for about 2 days.

My other dilema is do I get the guts for the bars when I'm planning a front end swap where I won't be using these bars anyway? Though I guess I can just swap them into the new bars that I plan to fab up.

kickerfox 06-13-2012 08:40 AM

For the bar ends, I ordered all the OEM parts and they worked. The way the OEM weights stay in the bar is a joke though. Just two tiny little tabs on a piece of spring steel. I still havent order the spacer but I'm going to. Anytime the rubber of the grip rubs the housing it sticks and squeaks. I'd think I had a frayed throttle cable if I didn't know better. I hate not having a silky smooth throttle.

GTS 06-13-2012 10:14 AM

Not following you. There should be an aluminum bar with a couple of rubber dampers that slides into the tube. There is a little metal taba that goes around or hooks to the outer rubber gromet, then the end weight has a screw that screws into the aluminum bar. Is this not what you've got?

kickerfox 06-13-2012 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by GTS (Post 335652)
Not following you. There should be an aluminum bar with a couple of rubber dampers that slides into the tube. There is a little metal taba that goes around or hooks to the outer rubber gromet, then the end weight has a screw that screws into the aluminum bar. Is this not what you've got?

That's what I have is exactly how you described.

The spacer I'm talking about is placed on the throttle before the grip goes on to prevent the grip from rubbing on the housing. Second pic first post.

BeerHunter 06-13-2012 09:54 PM

There really needs to be some gap between the grip and cable housing.

You need more space. What worked for me? Grind off the locating pin on the top of the cable housing, then the whole thing will slide up the bar. You will probably need to do the same thing for the kill switch in order to get enough space.

Once that is done, reposition the grip so there is an air gap. Then slide the kill switch up against the brake master, followed by the throttle assembly. Install the bar end and then pull the throttle back against the bar end and position it so that there is no friction when rotating the throttle. Tighten the bolts and then reposition the kill switch where it suits you.

kickerfox 06-13-2012 10:25 PM

I have a gap but I use soft grips that will flex when the edge of my thumb presses on it. Unless the grip was rock hard, it's going to rub. A simple shim will fix the issue and slide easily against the twist housing. :)

BeerHunter 06-13-2012 10:46 PM

Maybe cut your own shim? If you have a 2" and 1" hole saw it could be done easily. Thin but relatively rigid clear plastic could be used (tool / toy packaging) if you want to do it cheap.

kickerfox 06-13-2012 11:02 PM

I've been looking around the shop for something and an antifreeze bottle has a pretty slick feel to it. Matching yellow too. :) Can't hole-saw it but I can trim around a round object like a washer.

GTS 06-14-2012 09:27 AM

If there is a small gap between the grip and the throttle housing and it snaps back when you let go that's all you should really need. If it rubs a little when your thumb is on it that shouldn't really matter being you're gripping it and twisting and that would overcome any drag. You shouldn't need to trip the locating pins off at all either. If you have an aftermarket grip and it's to long sticking out the end hitting the bar end, just trim some of the grip off.

kickerfox 06-14-2012 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by GTS (Post 335716)
If there is a small gap between the grip and the throttle housing and it snaps back when you let go that's all you should really need. If it rubs a little when your thumb is on it that shouldn't really matter being you're gripping it and twisting and that would overcome any drag. You shouldn't need to trip the locating pins off at all either. If you have an aftermarket grip and it's to long sticking out the end hitting the bar end, just trim some of the grip off.

Yes it snaps back and has 1/8~3/16" between the grip and the housing but I can't hold onto it on with my thumbs against the grip without it rubbing/sticking when I open the throttle. It's not rocket science here. Soft rubber rubbing on a smooth hard surface makes for a sticky situation. If I'm hanging on I need smooth throttle action not "bind-bind-bind-wheelie". lol

BeerHunter 06-14-2012 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by kickerfox (Post 335738)
Soft rubber rubbing on a smooth hard surface makes for a sticky situation. If I'm hanging on I need smooth throttle action not "bind-bind-bind-wheelie". lol

HaHaHa! I got a good laugh out of that! "Damn sticky throttLLLLLLLE!":wheelie: "Sorry officer, it really was NOT intentional"

Yea, I tried those gummy grips once. They felt nice on the hands, but wear out too fast and move around in undesired ways... for me anyway.

GTS 06-14-2012 04:02 PM

Beer some gettt greezy and nasty and wear out fast. However some work quite well.

Kicker, not sure what to tell you. Maybe grip the throttle a little different. You might look at some of those cheap throttle locks as some of them come with just the piece you're looking for. Might see if you can buy a replacement. The whole locks aren't that expensive so I can't imagine if they'll sell that part that it'd be much at all.

kickerfox 06-14-2012 05:59 PM

I'm going to make one from an antifreeze bottle.