SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Gurgling sound in tank after ride (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/gurgling-sound-tank-after-ride-17807/)

aka Yamadog 03-08-2009 06:11 AM

Gurgling sound in tank after ride

1 Got some new Pilot Powers and took the SH out for the first time for some fun. Got home with about 30 miles since fill up and heard all this gurgling and snorping from the tank. I could put my ear on the tank and its definitely fuel related. Opened the fuel cap and no pressure release.

2 Temp ran high...between 194 and 220... 70 deg day

3 Got about 135 miles out of a tank

4 Baffles have been removed

any Ideas?

joedirt5 03-08-2009 06:28 AM

Could be gas boiling??

HondaJim 03-08-2009 10:35 AM

Mine has done that for several seasons. I think the fuel is warm (I would hope it isn't boiling) and it's air being pulled in the vent as the gas cools down.

lazn 03-08-2009 10:52 AM

No, my guess is that the tank vent is not working right, so a vacuum is built up in the tank.

Check to make sure the tank vent hose is not crimped or pinched and isn't sitting in water (that happens some times).. Cutting the end at an angle fixes the water issue so that you can ride in rain if need be without the engine dying.

intoxxx 11-02-2011 04:44 PM

bubbling or gurgling

haha ive been searching. gurgling was the key word.

its 75°f tonight, just filled a full tank before i got home from work.
after a nice ride around town decided while chain was warmed up to clean and lube. that turned into me doing the chain pipes and rims.
after giving the chain a solid bath and rub down, i started up the engine
had it up on the stand in first gear shining the rims while chain got nice and warm. nice n clean again.

but for the first time ive ever noticed, i heard bubbling in the gas tank. felt the cooling lines with a towel and it wasnt inside the coolant. fan only turned on once towards the end of cleaning. the bubbling was coming from inside of the tank by feel and sound.

i cant ever say i ever heard it before, but it makes more sense in my spitting carbs lately at low rpm full throttle and inconsistent idle rpms based on changing weather patterns lately.

anyone else think water in the tank like i do? furthermore, what is the best way to remove water from tank on a motorcycle with carbs
cant be the same method with a FI car, by pouring a bottle into the gas.

random thought: seafoam in the gas to clean carbs and remove water?
seafoam is some diverse shit. ive only ever used in cars gas and straight into the oil few hundred miles before changing.

lazn 11-03-2011 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by intoxxx (Post 317668)
haha ive been searching. gurgling was the key word.

its 75°f tonight, just filled a full tank before i got home from work.
after a nice ride around town decided while chain was warmed up to clean and lube. that turned into me doing the chain pipes and rims.
after giving the chain a solid bath and rub down, i started up the engine
had it up on the stand in first gear shining the rims while chain got nice and warm. nice n clean again.

but for the first time ive ever noticed, i heard bubbling in the gas tank. felt the cooling lines with a towel and it wasnt inside the coolant. fan only turned on once towards the end of cleaning. the bubbling was coming from inside of the tank by feel and sound.

i cant ever say i ever heard it before, but it makes more sense in my spitting carbs lately at low rpm full throttle and inconsistent idle rpms based on changing weather patterns lately.

anyone else think water in the tank like i do? furthermore, what is the best way to remove water from tank on a motorcycle with carbs
cant be the same method with a FI car, by pouring a bottle into the gas.

random thought: seafoam in the gas to clean carbs and remove water?
seafoam is some diverse shit. ive only ever used in cars gas and straight into the oil few hundred miles before changing.

Your vent line is plugged or crimped. Find it, trace it all the way down to the ground. If it was water, just running a full tank of good gas thru it would clear it out.

mboe794 11-03-2011 10:25 AM

Never notices this on the SuperHawk but my MX bikes gurgle often. Mainly when it's hot out. They have a super simple tank vent that I know isn't plugged. I just decided it was somewhat normal and quit worrying about it.