Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Grab this you SH clucthes!

Old 01-23-2019, 01:21 AM
Superstock

CaryDG is on a distinguished road
Grab this you SH clucthes!

As most SH owners know our clutches can be a bit grabby when trying to launch at high RPM or even causing stalls when trying to leave from a stop by slipping the clutch. I've read about the reasons (poor design, V twin torque Etc.) and the remedies (weaker springs, Varadero cable clutch conversion, Etc.) over the years. Last year I installed a 800 VFR master cylinder as I wanted the built in reservoir. I discovered that it has a 14mm bore vs the stocker at 15.87mm. (5/8 in) This changed the lever to slave ratio a bit and made the engagement point a little broader. I was willing to put up with slightly longer lever travel and it helped but , not quite enough. And then, Thanks to Erik and this forum, I found the Oberon slave cylinder. Installed it last night and I can now slip the clutch without the gabbiness! I think it is due to the 2mm increase in bore size over stock. Yes it increased the lever travel slightly as it increased the ratio even more coupled with the VFR master. This even widened the engagement point more. But, it worked! It behaves like I was hoping. Smooth action, broad engagement. If I did the math right the stock ratio was 2.24:1 and the VFR/Oberon is 2.69:1 That slight change was all it needed. The only bad thing is that took me 6 years to figure it out!
Old 01-26-2019, 10:09 AM
Squid

Felix Barrao is on a distinguished road
I own my VTR some months ago, ( I have done 5000 Km so far) and one of the things that I don´t like is the clutch performance. Most of the handle movement is useless and the clutch actuates just in the last part.
I changed the clutch disks the first month, thinking that maybe they were worn, but it didn´t solve anything about this " issue" then I noticed that the problem was, ( in my opinion ) an excessive travel in the clutch.
Thinking about your smart solution, I have been looking for handle clutch with 13mm piston, diameter, that combined with the oem slave piston should act like your actual VFR-Oberon. There are many around, ( some expensive brembo units also) and I´m trying to find a motorcycle that uses a 13mm piston in order to buy a second hand unit..

Edited:
Seems that the brembo PS13 rec from ducati 600 and 750 can be an option.

Last edited by Felix Barrao; 01-26-2019 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Info added
Old 01-26-2019, 03:47 PM
Superstock

I have a SH riding buddy that put an Oberon with a OEM Master and it works really well.
Old 01-26-2019, 04:13 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
I have been running the radial Brembo MC from a Monster 1100 for a number of years now and it works great....
Old 01-27-2019, 12:12 AM
Squid

Is it a 13mm piston diameter?
Old 01-27-2019, 06:18 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
In the event that the question is for me, the radial MC is a 15 x 18, meaning the piston diameter is 15 mm and fulcrum measurement is 18 mm, the latter measurement being just as important as the first when considering the mechanical advantage it affords. In the end, it works...
Old 01-27-2019, 07:14 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by mikstr
In the event that the question is for me, the radial MC is a 15 x 18, meaning the piston diameter is 15 mm and fulcrum measurement is 18 mm, the latter measurement being just as important as the first when considering the mechanical advantage it affords. In the end, it works...
Yes, the question were for you thanks.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:35 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by CaryDG
As most SH owners know our clutches can be a bit grabby when trying to launch at high RPM or even causing stalls when trying to leave from a stop by slipping the clutch. I've read about the reasons (poor design, V twin torque Etc.) and the remedies (weaker springs, Varadero cable clutch conversion, Etc.) over the years. Last year I installed a 800 VFR master cylinder as I wanted the built in reservoir. I discovered that it has a 14mm bore vs the stocker at 15.87mm. (5/8 in) This changed the lever to slave ratio a bit and made the engagement point a little broader. I was willing to put up with slightly longer lever travel and it helped but , not quite enough. And then, Thanks to Erik and this forum, I found the Oberon slave cylinder. Installed it last night and I can now slip the clutch without the gabbiness! I think it is due to the 2mm increase in bore size over stock. Yes it increased the lever travel slightly as it increased the ratio even more coupled with the VFR master. This even widened the engagement point more. But, it worked! It behaves like I was hoping. Smooth action, broad engagement. If I did the math right the stock ratio was 2.24:1 and the VFR/Oberon is 2.69:1 That slight change was all it needed. The only bad thing is that took me 6 years to figure it out!
My manual says that the master stock piston is 14 mm, not 15,87, are you sure that yours were 15,87?

Old 01-27-2019, 11:56 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
I have a SH riding buddy that put an Oberon with a OEM Master and it works really well.
That is how mine is set up now, early year non integrated res OEM master cylinder with a fresh all service part rebuild, new res cup, SS braided line and the Oberon slave...Very happy with it
Old 01-27-2019, 12:09 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by E.Marquez
That is how mine is set up now, early year non integrated res OEM master cylinder with a fresh all service part rebuild, new res cup, SS braided line and the Oberon slave...Very happy with it
Seems that the Oberon is the best option then, before trying smaller master cylinders..
Old 01-28-2019, 11:22 PM
Superstock

Felix, You are correct, my bad! Apparently the PO had put an unknown (possibly Suzuki SV) 5/8" (15.87mm) master on in an effort to widen the engagement point. As some of us have discovered, that was going the wrong way. You can imagine how grabby my clutch was with that setup! My old *** really thought I was on to something when I changed to the 14mm integrated VFR master. Regardless of my faux pax, 14mm with the Oberon works perfect.
Sorry about any confusion.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:09 AM
Squid

OMG I can imagine how it works with the 15,87 mm master!
Nice to know that the stock piston works fine with the Oberon, I will install it asap
Thanks for the input.

Old 01-29-2019, 09:29 AM
Squid

Oberon already ordered...
Old 02-02-2019, 06:32 AM
Squid

rothmans is on a distinguished road
I have a spare set of SP1 RC51 and 6th gen VFR masters here (brake and clutch). Has anyone experimented with other brake masters?
Old 02-02-2019, 09:23 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by rothmans
I have a spare set of SP1 RC51 and 6th gen VFR masters here (brake and clutch). Has anyone experimented with other brake masters?

Yes but it also matters what calipers you are running. Then it is what "feel" you are going for.
I haven't run a VFR master but with the SP stuff I found The SP2 master a much better option but it is also what works for me.
Granted I do have a complete SP2 front end on my bike but I have also set up bikes with stock calipers & SP2 master and have had good results.
Though now days, if I was starting over, I would source a newer style radial master cylinder.
Old 02-03-2019, 01:11 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by rothmans
Only a 1/2 dozen or so...lol
Current set up is a Brembo 18mm radial master and Nissan calipers from an F4i
Old 02-12-2019, 04:55 AM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Guess I found the next mod I need to jump on.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:29 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Original OEM clutch, 45,000 miles, and never a single problem.

I'm wondering if there is another explanation. I wish every motorcycle I owned has a clutch as good as the VTR.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:57 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
Original OEM clutch, 45,000 miles, and never a single problem.

I'm wondering if there is another explanation. I wish every motorcycle I owned has a clutch as good as the VTR.
Its not a problem, just better
Old 02-12-2019, 06:11 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by E.Marquez
Its not a problem, just better
The OP mentions this as being a problem that has affected everyone. It's the first I've heard of it!
Old 02-13-2019, 04:06 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
The OP mentions this as being a problem that has affected everyone. It's the first I've heard of it!
Ahh, I got you, missed that or forgot it.

Yes not sure, I never thought there was anything wrong with the VTR clutch other then the chatter if you released it way to quickly. I needed to rebuild a slave cylinder so thought Id try the Oberon... It not only worked, but it does in my opinion give a better lever feel then the OEM slave,
Old 02-13-2019, 08:51 AM
Superstock

Jaime and Eric, Yes, "Chatter" is more descriptive. It must be random as out of two fellow SH owners and myself, two chatter and one is fine. In fact one (a '99) chatters if you slip the clutch at speed. So, I guess I should have stated "Many" instead of "Most" The only time it happens is when launching from a standing start. As when running on a drag strip, Etc.
Both of the "chatterers" were cured with Oberon Slaves. I think due to the design and the 2mm bigger cylinder.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:54 AM
Superstock

In fact there are numerous references to this in the forum. Search "Clutch grab"
Old 02-16-2019, 09:38 PM
Squid

Oberon improves the feeling vs the oem one due to the 2mm bigger diameter. Probably a 13mm master ( vs the 14mm) and the oberon should be perfect.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:00 AM
Connie Demico does toad?
Superstock

GlockPointer is on a distinguished road
where does one find this oberon piece ?
Old 02-18-2019, 05:48 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by GlockPointer
where does one find this oberon piece ?
Pick a dealer or order direct
http://www.oberon-performance.co.uk/...n-Dealers.html
Old 02-18-2019, 07:04 PM
Superstock

I ordered mine from the Oberon in the UK and had it in 9 days.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:38 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

I ordered mine from the Oberon in the UK and had it in 9 days.
Same here, same time frame....
And post service with leadership at the company was excellent as well.

The buddy I learned about Oberon from, bought his off a Oberon Ebay ad... and had it in the same time frame, but it came from a Canadian dealer
Old 02-19-2019, 09:19 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
For me the VTR clutch is by a mile the worst clutch set up I have ever experienced. If you rev the motor even a bit too high and try to release the clutch you get violent chatter and grabbing that is in my opinion dangerous. On my CBR600 I could redline the bike and slip the clutch all the way to turn 1 if I had to but try that on the hawk and you'd get flipped violently. I have 2 hawks and they are both like that and everyone else on here seems to have similar experience.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:27 PM
Squid

First think I did after buying my VTR was to change the clutch discs, thinking there were something wrong with them... Nothing changed after. The Oberon has been a big improvement. I´m happy now, but probably next think will be a 13mm brembo clutch master instead of the 14 oem one.
I bought the oberon directly from the manufacturer

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Grab this you SH clucthes!