SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Getting Frame Sliders (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/getting-frame-sliders-29480/)

memmakersorg 11-20-2012 02:17 AM

Getting Frame Sliders

Hi,

Finally got my SH have been getting acquainted with her.

Want to mount frame sliders on her -- also on the foot pegs to protect the carbon slip ons.

Any recommendations on where I can find a decent set. I was looking on ebay but wasn't sure what to look for?

Thanks.

aja 11-20-2012 07:25 AM

Search "superhawk frame sliders". Trex comes to mind.

If you want to be fully protected get frame sliders, engine case covers, and spools on the forks and swingarms. You will need to drill for the spills but they will help protect the cans, footpegs don't have sliders. If you're footpegs are stock they fold up in a crash anyways.

memmakersorg 12-07-2012 04:27 PM

Are these good -- Frame Sliders on ebay

Hi,

Saw these on ebay -- thoughts :

Honda Superhawk 996 1998 Frame Sliders Bolts Hardware Rash | eBay

T Rex Honda VTR 1000 F Super Hawk Frame Sliders No Cut | eBay

Jack Flash 12-08-2012 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by memmakersorg (Post 345877)

Get the T Rex as mentioned by aja. I also have the T Rex, and the are more then perfect. They have already payed for themselves in my case.

memmakersorg 12-08-2012 01:42 PM

Thanks for the info guys,

I already have spools on my swing arm ... will they protect my cans (I think not, right?).

So what do I put on the swing arms for protection.

Thanks.

aja 12-09-2012 05:42 PM

There isnt much you can do to protect low mount cans, thats the disadvantage of them. After you put the frame sliders on slowly lay the bike on its side and see if the exhaust touches, but there isnt much to do to protect them.

memmakersorg 12-10-2012 12:31 AM

Hi,

Should I get sliders specifically for the VTR1000 or will say RC51 or CBR600 sliders fit the SH?

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Jack Flash (Post 345908)
Get the T Rex as mentioned by aja. I also have the T Rex, and the are more then perfect. They have already payed for themselves in my case.

Tweety 12-10-2012 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by memmakersorg (Post 345978)
Hi,

Should I get sliders specifically for the VTR1000 or will say RC51 or CBR600 sliders fit the SH?

Thanks.

Consider this a blanket statement for every future question you can come up with... Always get specific VTR parts, always... There exists a few rare occasions where non specific VTR parts fit, but they are the exception to the rule... The VTR is an odd duck in more ways than one... (pun intended)

However, there are plenty of non specific parts that can be made to fit the VTR with a little effort... But based on previous questions, it doesn't seem like you are quite there yet... (note, no insult indended, just an observation)

memmakersorg 12-10-2012 06:12 PM

Thanks for the candid response -- no offense at all :-)

Cool VTR only it will be

Bandit400man 12-11-2012 03:46 AM

Hey man remember this post from Smokinjoe?? These are cheap and work:

Honda CBR crash protectors

smokinjoe73 12-11-2012 09:44 AM

2 Attachment(s)
These have kept my carbon two bros cans alive for 10yrs.

They began life as delrin rod from mcmaster-carr.com and were lathed but really any t-rex sliders will work if they have flat mounting surfaces(some are not). I used red t-rex in the front to color match.

jefejrs 12-11-2012 09:58 PM

I see a reference to case covers in one of the earlier posts. Never been able to find any. Does someone still make some for the hawk?

Upland111 12-12-2012 10:04 AM

Check Here..... HONDA VTR1000 FIRESTORM CARBON LIMADECKEL, HONDA X11 X ELEFEN ELEVEN CARBON LIMADECKEL MOTORDECKEL items in carbonadi-shop store on eBay!

memmakersorg 04-11-2013 02:02 AM

Hi @Bandit400man, I got the frame sliders you suggested. But can't seem to figure out how to put them on. Is there how-to on installing these?

Thanks

Super Hawk Pro 04-11-2013 02:29 AM

I also have trex flame sliders. My kids use then as foot pegs when they want to ride. So they are more of a dual purpose.

996thehawk 06-27-2013 10:41 AM

I am also looking for frame sliders my 98. I will be buying T Rex after reading this post. Before I do, can anyone tell me what is involved in installing them? Is any cutting required?

7moore7 06-27-2013 11:45 AM

There is no cutting with the t-rex "no cut" sliders. ;)

They seem more simple to bolt on than they actually are. Here is the background of why:

The Superhawk frame has 6 mounting surfaces to bolt the frame to the motor (three per side). When bolting the frame to the motor, there are a series of steps of torquing these bolts in a specific order as to keep the frame from twisting and staying on centerline of the motor. If bolted in the wrong order at whatever torque is the flavor of the day, you can mess with the alignment of the bike. There have even been instances where people sent their bike flying into the bushes causing it to go of alignment, then they loosened all the frame bolts and tightened them in the correct order as per the shop manual and it straightened the bike.

Knowing that, the sliders use the center frame mount bolts to attach. They supply longer bolts and you take the stock ones out and replace with slider + longer bolt. What I'm getting at is if you're not careful and just crank on these things, you've taken the frame mounts out of spec. So it is best to look at the torque procedure and try to mount them with that in mind.

Plenty of people have just thrown them on not knowing this, and I haven't read of anyone having problems that was related to mounting them. But it is something to be aware of.

On a side note, I have a set of used ones that I haven't put on for two years. They bump my knees and the benefits do not outweigh the costs for my riding IMO.

996thehawk 06-27-2013 02:15 PM

Hey thanks a lot man. Seems like you have answered a lot of my questions on here since I started, I appreciate that. The mear fact that they hit your knees just convinced me to stay away. I'm 6'1" and have a feeling I will have the same issue and that's definitely not worth it.

On a side note... I am trying to avoid hacking my rear fender apart and just want to bolt on a painted, clean, undertail with integrated blinkers. I have read multiple threads with a ton of links, most of which are no longer available, but couldn't find one that would work. I found a cheap one on ebay but I'm not sure about ebay for something like this. Do you have any suggestions for me? I have a red 98.

Thanks again!!

matt365 06-27-2013 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by 7moore7 (Post 357861)

On a side note, I have a set of used ones that I haven't put on for two years. They bump my knees and the benefits do not outweigh the costs for my riding IMO.

I'm 6'3" - Move the brackets forward just so they clear the fairing & there is no issues with knocking your knees on them. I had the same issue when I put my T-rex sliders on. tipped 'em forward, and no more issues.

996thehawk, you'll be fine at 6'1". I don't even notice mine anymore.

SIRR1 06-27-2013 07:29 PM

I have been using these for years now as crash pegs on my sportbikes and sumos.

The steel units are heavy duty and they are the only type I use plus there super cheep, you won't mind scratching these things up and most are metric!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-8-Threaded...item460fcb1237

SIRR1

7moore7 06-27-2013 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by 996thehawk (Post 357866)
Hey thanks a lot man. Seems like you have answered a lot of my questions on here since I started, I appreciate that. The mear fact that they hit your knees just convinced me to stay away. I'm 6'1" and have a feeling I will have the same issue and that's definitely not worth it. !

Yeah I wouldn't let the knee bumping thing deter you... Like was said there are taller people out there running them just adjusting them forward. I ride really far forward on the bike too (when the gf is on sometimes she slides forward so much that she is nearly on the driver's seat).

The sliders do help tipover damage as well as protect the bike and rider in the event of a lowside.

There are pro's and cons to both. The way they are mounted they could in theory cause more damage than they prevent because they could damage the frame (by how they're attached) or even the motor mounts, rather than just the plastics. The t-rex ones kind of have a built in brake/flex point from their tabs to get around the fairings that may prevent this (an has on other people's bikes. The tab just bends a little and all is good)

There are also instances where a slider is also a "catch point", in particular riding on the streets, when the bike is sliding and hits a curb or other such hard obstacle the slider could get caught up and either snap off, brake the mounting location, cause the bike to endo or any of the above. On a track with wide open long crash areas there isn't much to catch on, and more likely a person will go down, so they make a lot of sense.

Note I've not seen any of this happen in person, just pictures 'n such. I could see going both ways. The aesthetics were one of my main drivers for removing them. I know that if it bump it over in the garage I'll be pissed I didn't have them, but a risk I'm willing to take.

That's pretty much everything I've gathered. If you want to try some I could sell you mine cheap and if you don't like them could just pass them on to another member!

996thehawk 06-28-2013 06:49 AM

I appreciate everyones advice. Hitting my knees wasn't the only reason I'm going to stay away. I'm adding up the pros and cons like you said and there's more cons in my eyes. And to be honest, I'm not crazy about how they look. I'll think about it a little more and decide.

smokinjoe73 06-28-2013 07:07 AM

See, I never get opting away from protecting your bike. Bodywork and case covers arent cheap. There is a reason all racers use them. Its your own choice but the wacky "I heard of a guy who knew a guy" moto folklore is just that.

My streetbike has been down on both sides & I rode away from both. (one a hiside)

On the track I have multiple hi & low speed crashes & still the same bodywork and case covers.

Motorcycling is wierd. People will hear the uncle fred story about sliders, tire plugs, mixed tires, etc.

Here is why its so confusing. This is a very cerebral video but very telling about how your brain works. The lottery is the best example (at 6min) but this will show you why so many bikers dont wear gear, helmets, etc.

The same no helmet thoughts are what stop you from doing something prudent like frame sliders.

Watch this video and it will make more sense.

smokinjoe73 06-28-2013 07:45 AM

Here is another one. Why people make bad decisions.

7moore7 06-28-2013 07:45 AM

Let's see how worked up I can get Joe!

My retirement plan is the lottery!

I ride with my flip flops on because I will never lay my bike down! Laying the bike down is for pansies who can't do a handstand on the tank in the middle of a highway group ride!

I removed all of the safety features off of my bike!

smokinjoe73 06-28-2013 08:23 AM

Haha seven. Very funny.

I am just amazed by how this principal works. Everyone sees the gearless riders & figures its fine. But if they saw even one of the horrific crashes and the months/years/forever it takes to recover, they would see the bigger picture.

Texting while driving is the best example. Huge risk vs gain proportion. I guess having lost loved ones in horrific ways makes it more real to me.

Its a coping skill adaptation to block out unpleasant things. But allowing that to happen can only lead to great unhappiness.

Trainers of pilots & motorcyle instructors tend to want peope to focus on worst case scenarios.

7moore7 06-28-2013 09:48 AM

Nah I get what you're saying... just had to mess with ya. Never seen that second video, that guys is pretty entertaining.

I never listed "You/I will not likely crash" as a reason not to run sliders. I even did mention that they make a lot of sense for track days. I also wear all of my gear (well, I don't wear knee protection for commuting but I have those Kevlar lined jeans). Even in the Arizona summer. It hits 119*F today. I practice safe stops and maneuvers and periodically read literature to keep myself from getting too passive.

I did list the pros and cons to running them (there are cons, btw). The value that I place on them may be skewed in your eyes, but I have thought about it. And it wasn't a lazy decision. I put them on. Used them for awhile. And took them off. I could be wrong and haven't laid the bike down or done any track days so my perception of a crash could well be wrong.

twist 06-28-2013 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 357933)
Haha seven. Very funny.

I am just amazed by how this principal works. Everyone sees the gearless riders & figures its fine. But if they saw even one of the horrific crashes and the months/years/forever it takes to recover, they would see the bigger picture.

Texting while driving is the best example. Huge risk vs gain proportion. I guess having lost loved ones in horrific ways makes it more real to me.

Its a coping skill adaptation to block out unpleasant things. But allowing that to happen can only lead to great unhappiness.

Trainers of pilots & motorcyle instructors tend to want peope to focus on worst case scenarios.

amazing! I see how I make stupid mistakes even when I think I'm being smart. Nice vtr by the way. I like the idea of sliders on the exhaust mount. Show us a few more pix of your machine(s)