SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Gas mileage - some VERY interesting results (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/gas-mileage-some-very-interesting-results-8532/)

bluesman 04-18-2006 06:18 AM

Gas mileage - some VERY interesting results

Here is same post I just left on UK forum - I hope it can be useful:

Well, I went and did stupid thing - me and my friend (he is on brand new CB1300S) went to France for "a bit of riding"....
Did about 2000 km in 3 days, first day all 800 km in absolutely pouring rain and cold. Second day was kinda OK, third too - but way way too cold for "pushing it".
But. Something else. I have recently changed 16 liter tank to 19 liter on my 1997 Storm. I also changed air filter thou it did not really look like it needed changing.
Here is result (explain if you can) - with going in range of 3500-5200 rpm most of the time, sometimes hitting 6500 rpms on overtakes and coming out of corner. Mixed riding - filtering (slow), highway (about 90-100 mph), small twisty backroads (not really burning tires because of rain and cold but loads of overtakes and generally rarley below 70 mph) I got impressive improvement on consumption. To give you idea: at least 206 km to a red light and then I did another 49 and arrived at fuel station with still some fuel in tank - only filled 17 liters.
Explain it if you can. Last year - same roads, 90-100 miles to a red light.
Average consumption this year just about 6,9-7 liter per 100 km. My friend CB1300S ate exatly same. So - who said Storm fuel consumption is bad? May be we have to change air filters more often or....don't know. I did not notice any loss in performance at all.

For referrence: 1 mile equals roughly to 1.6 km

Scott V 04-18-2006 02:18 PM

Re: Gas mileage - some VERY interesting results

34 mph does not seem that good? I have pulled 43 mph mostly highway and some city on my last fill. Riding close to the same speeds. I only have 200
miles on my bike, so it should get better if I keep off the gas.

bluesman 04-19-2006 12:47 AM

Well, it is correct if you apply it to riding on highway in US - you got wide roads with relatively stable traffic IMHO. By riding on highway in France I mean toll roads there - it is busy roads, with people driving unsteady from 70 mph to 100 mph, so it means lots of overtakes etc. - it is not steady ride. And - key is rpms, up to 5500 and over 5500 is a very different picture.
All my bikes and my friends bikes generally ate about same 34 mph in those rides except SHawk - add filtering on approach to toll booth, opening up after toll booth, riding on backroads, sitting on traffic lights on small streets in old towns - so it is not higway mileage, it is mixed riding mileage.
I believe that most SHawk owners here can tell that a bit spirited riding gives you red light after 100 miles. I was surpised to see that after 19 liter upgrade it became 130 miles to red light and increased ride on reserve to over 30 miles, so that overall it is about 160 miles. While I actually expected much less - it is only 3 liter difference. So it must be something else, and I think it is filter.
43 mph is something I never ever achived in mixed riding there on any bike I had. Even CBR600F ate more. Only bikes that ate like that was old VFR750 rc24 and NTV650 at steady 70-80 mph.
Which means - yes, you probably should be hitting about 43 mph or even less in highway riding. Which I think is a good news :)

penst8grad 04-19-2006 07:19 AM

Bluesman, what is the new site address for the UK site? It moved and I enver updated my bookmarks.

bluesman 04-19-2006 07:39 AM

it is back on
http://www.vtr1000.org

was down for some time...

penst8grad 04-19-2006 07:46 AM

Thanks

Scott V 04-19-2006 08:29 AM

I will say the gerneral manager of the Honda shop bought a new lead wing and he pulls around 40 mpg on his bike (freeway mostly) If I sit in somewhat
heavy traffic ( city with freeway too) and twist the gas hard every now in again, it will drop to 34 pretty quick. I still think 45 MPG out crusing the open
road will be possible, so I am really pretty happy about that. If I was on my
XR 650 L and riding the same speed and course, it would be pretty close to the same. I could get 56 mpg if I took it easy but at the pace I was running,
it would be pretty close to the hawk #

superbling 04-20-2006 08:58 AM

I think the better mileage is due to three things:

1) You were riding slower; really gunning it out of the corners gulps fuel IMO
2) Clean air filter
3) Cold air is more dense and engine runs better/more efficiently (more power requires less throttle)

or

Your new larger tank actually producing fuel while riding! (patent pending)

mikstr 04-20-2006 10:12 AM

Where can I buy one of those "patent pending" fuel creating tanks? 8)

Mikstr

BirdofParadise 04-20-2006 12:24 PM

Bling is that the tank using a "day after beer and chili recovery system"?
I think it was referred to as a natural gas inverter or something similar.

I saw plans for one months ago. You have to use a modified corbin seat to install the recovery system. It looked very promising. 8)

Rumor has it, one of the testers had a terrible mishap in the initial testing phase due to a small leak in the transfer hose. He will recover but won't be able to sit down for the next year :shock: .

superbling 04-20-2006 12:53 PM

No, that is a gaseous fuel recovery system whereas the VTR is jetted for liquid fuel so the recovery hose is installed in the, ahemm, front (ouch).

BirdofParadise 04-20-2006 12:55 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
LMAO

Nice!

mikecronis 04-23-2006 06:08 PM

My wife's CBR 600F4i gets 55 mpg. I generally get as low as 40 mpg if I am over 100mph for more than an hour, up to 46 mpg if I ride per the manual's shift recommendation of 2500 rpms.

radiantti 05-07-2006 10:24 AM

:shock:
Today i went to racetrack. I have a 120 km From my home to track. I drove avg.speed of 86 km/h with a very steady, no overtaking, no higher than 4700 rev. to track. Consumtion was 5.9 l / 100km! This is by far lowest consumption for me. In track consumption is about 12 l/100km. I have 15 sproket in front.

-New member from Finland-

CNI Dawg 05-07-2006 12:37 PM

You could always buy one of these to help increase your VTR gas mileage

http://www.poopreport.com/Images/Fun...y/farttoy2.jpg

bluevtr 05-07-2006 01:09 PM

Shift at 2500???? No thanks-I'd rather pay for the gas.

SillyHawk 07-08-2006 12:01 AM

so once the fuel light does come on how many more miles do i have? mostly in and out of traffic in Los Angeles

Hawkrider 07-08-2006 07:56 AM

It varies from bike to bike, and on the type of riding you're doing. To find out for sure, take a small container of fuel with you and intentionally run out of gas.