SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Gas everywhere (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/gas-everywhere-34006/)

drgreenthumb04 06-15-2016 03:51 PM

Gas everywhere

I am new to my 98 VTR, but am no 'fall down' when it comes to mechanics. I had my vtr set up by a pro shop that had all the gear to get my air/fuel right on and everything was fine for a few weeks. Then it started to run like crap at idle and low rpms, sputtering and such. I went out the other day and there was gas all over. My tank has all but emptied into the cylinder through my carb and leaked all over. Not sure whats going on here. Any help is appreciated.

CruxGNZ 06-15-2016 04:04 PM

Your petcock diaphram failed and also a float valve in your carb failed. DO NOT attempt to start your engine, because you could hydro-lock it.

You will need to get the gas out if the cylinder, do an oil change, repair your petcock, and fix your float valve.

Wolverine 06-15-2016 04:48 PM

^^^^^^^
http://www.idioms4you.com/img/angif-...n-the-head.gif

drgreenthumb04 06-15-2016 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by CruxGNZ (Post 396853)
Your petcock diaphram failed and also a float valve in your carb failed. DO NOT attempt to start your engine, because you could hydro-lock it.

You will need to get the gas out if the cylinder, do an oil change, repair your petcock, and fix your float valve.

Thanks for the help brother.

Wolverine 06-15-2016 06:05 PM

Dr.G
Your issue has happened before to other members here and Crux hit the nail on the head. I'm sure you have a mess to deal with. At least you know exactly where to look.

CruxGNZ 06-15-2016 06:44 PM

For the petcock diaphram, look to eBay.
1997 2005 Honda Superhawk VTR1000F VTR1000 K L Fuel Petcock Repair Kit 18 5015 | eBay

For the float valve, check out Partzilla. They usually have the cheapest prices.
16155-MBZ-K31 VALVE, FLOAT $15.57
Part #16155-MBZ-K31

Which ever cylinder filled with fuel, the carb that attaches to it is the one that needs the float valve.

The service manual, found here in the Knowledge Base, will help you to fix these issues.

drgreenthumb04 06-15-2016 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by CruxGNZ (Post 396858)
1997 2005 Honda Superhawk VTR1000F VTR1000 K L Fuel Petcock Repair Kit 18 5015 | eBay

For the float valve, check out Partzilla. They usually have the cheapest prices.
Part #16155-MBZ-K31

Which ever cylinder filled with fuel, the carb that attaches to it is the one that needs the float valve.

The service manual, found here in the Knowledge Base, will help you to fix these issues.

Thanks brother. I will look into that. I appreciate your time and advice.

drgreenthumb04 06-16-2016 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by CruxGNZ (Post 396858)

Part #16155-MBZ-K31

The float valve should just pull out when I remove the float, correct?

Wolverine 06-16-2016 05:57 PM

Should

drgreenthumb04 07-01-2016 11:57 AM

So, I did my float valves and I took my petcock apart, but there was no damage to the diaphram. I have a rebuild kit coming either way, but my question is, with the petcock in the open position, should gas come out to the carbs? Or is it on vacuum demand?

CruxGNZ 07-01-2016 05:02 PM

It is vacuum operated. As soon as you turn over your engine, there is a vacuum and this vacuum, for lack of better words, turns on the petcock.

EDIT: Make sure the vacuum line is attached to the nipple on the back of the petcock. It does not attach to the nipple on the bottom of the petcock.

drgreenthumb04 07-01-2016 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by CruxGNZ (Post 397183)
It is vacuum operated. As soon as you turn over your engine, there is a vacuum and this vacuum, for lack of better words, turns on the petcock.

EDIT: Make sure the vacuum line is attached to the nipple on the back of the petcock. It does not attach to the nipple on the bottom of the petcock.

My petcock must be failing then. I had the gas tank off and opened the petcock to test and gas immediately poured out the two carb lines.

CruxGNZ 07-01-2016 05:21 PM

It should not do that. Even with the vacuum line removed from the back of the petcock, gas should not flow when turned to "ON".

Pull your petcock off and you will see how it works. Super simple. Engine turns over creating vacuum. This vacuum "sucks" the diaphram allowing fuel to flow.

If your petcock has fuel flowing without vacuum, them something is definitely wrong.

drgreenthumb04 07-01-2016 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by CruxGNZ (Post 397185)
It should not do that. Even with the vacuum line removed from the back of the petcock, gas should not flow when turned to "ON".

Pull your petcock off and you will see how it works. Super simple. Engine turns over creating vacuum. This vacuum "sucks" the diaphram allowing fuel to flow.

If your petcock has fuel flowing without vacuum, them something is definitely wrong.

Yeah, theyre're as basic as it gets. I already took it apart. I have a rebuild kit coming, but I did not see any damage to the diaphram.

CruxGNZ 07-01-2016 05:30 PM

Go in a dark room and shine a flashlight through the diaphram. You will posibly see a very small pin hole. If you don't see a hole, then the diaphram was possibly not seated properly in the petcock alowing a vacuum leak.

Either way, going off you original post, your petcock was not working correctly.

drgreenthumb04 07-01-2016 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by CruxGNZ (Post 397187)
Go in a dark room and shine a flashlight through the diaphram. You will posibly see a very small pin hole. If you don't see a hole, then the diaphram was possibly not seated properly in the petcock alowing a vacuum leak.

Either way, going off you original post, your petcock was not working correctly.

Thanks Crux! I appreciate your expertise!