SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Galfer vs Russell (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/galfer-vs-russell-31492/)

Jack Flash 12-20-2013 01:13 PM

Galfer vs Russell

I'm in the middle of a front end swap. I need to install new brake lines and am looking at two alteratives. So, best place is to ask here.

My question is if anyone has had experience with the Russell brand of brake lines. I know most of you have Galfer, and no doubt about it, they are good. The reason I ask for the Russell, is, I have good discounts on their products, and, it would be much cheaper for me to go down that road, then with the Galfer lines.

I remember doing a brake line swap for a customer many years ago, but don't remember if they were Russell's or not. And, never saw customer again to ask if he liked them or not.(Yeh I know, there's a joke in there somewhere ).

Thanks for any input you may provide.

E.Marquez 12-20-2013 01:51 PM

I use Russell brand on a 3900lb Mustang with very large brakes.... Work great.

I've used Russell brand SS lines on several bikes.. no issue.

Russell, Galfer, Goodridge, and custom ones I made from Russell parts... all work great, never had a failure .. so pick what you want that fits, has the right look and a good price.

Upland111 12-20-2013 03:19 PM

I used HEL brake lines. Check them out here. Motorcycle | Honda | VTR1000

Great guys to deal with, quick shipping, and they made mine custom lengths for little extra cost to fit my Apex's. Also a wide array of choices in color and type. FWIW

E.Marquez 12-20-2013 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Upland111 (Post 366545)
I used HEL brake lines. Check them out here. Motorcycle | Honda | VTR1000

Great guys to deal with, quick shipping, and they made mine custom lengths for little extra cost to fit my Apex's. Also a wide array of choices in color and type. FWIW

Galfer does the same deal.. custom lengths, color choice.. and funny.. but I bought this set for my new Apex risers as well...LOL

It's what i have on my bike now... like um alot.

Jack Flash 12-20-2013 05:53 PM

Thanks for the input. Russell it is. As I said, I have some pretty good discounts on their products, so, good deal for me, and, I can order everything to build them myself. Lines, fittings, banjo bolts, etc.

Upland111 12-20-2013 07:22 PM

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the aftermarket brake line manufacturers. Any braided line beats the rubber OEM.

CrankenFine 12-20-2013 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by E.Marquez (Post 366546)
Galfer does the same deal.. custom lengths, color choice.. and funny.. but I bought this set for my new Apex risers as well...LOL

It's what i have on my bike now... like um alot.

I am planning Apex clip ons too. Do you know what your custom line lengths ended up as?

jscobey 12-20-2013 08:41 PM

Jack what front end swap are u doing? Is it on a vtr?

E.Marquez 12-20-2013 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by CrankenFine (Post 366552)
I am planning Apex clip ons too. Do you know what your custom line lengths ended up as?

+2 inches over stock lines worked for me...and my 0-4 inch Apex bars

CrankenFine 12-21-2013 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by E.Marquez (Post 366554)
+2 inches over stock lines worked for me...and my 0-4 inch Apex bars

Thank you.

Jack Flash 12-21-2013 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by jscobey (Post 366553)
Jack what front end swap are u doing? Is it on a vtr?

900RR forks, custom made triple, stock wheel, and, 600RR cals with Gixxer
600 M/C.

I will later next month put my whole stock front end for sale, but, want to finish up first.