SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Funny feel in the front end (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/funny-feel-front-end-10583/)

Sgt Rock 02-19-2007 11:02 AM

Funny feel in the front end

It's been about 3 weeks since I last rode the SH and when I rode it to work today it felt funny. When making a right turn the bike felt like it was about to fall over. Never felt this way before and really not sure why it happened. I checked the air pressure and it's at 30psi, so it's not to low. Any ideas?

nuhawk 02-19-2007 03:45 PM

Tire pressure too low. The little placard on my chainguard (which isn't there anymore) says 36/42 - front/rear. 30 psi when you got to the office? try to make a turn and the bike feels like it's falling over ? yup - low pressures. If it was 30 when you got to the office it was probably 25-27 at the end of your driveway.

marmaladedad 02-19-2007 05:00 PM

Does it feel heavy in the transition towards leaning the bike over? That's when your tire pressure is low. I've run it as low as 30 in the canyons without any problems, but that depends on the tire brand and model you are using.

Thumper 02-19-2007 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Sgt Rock (Post 42272)
It's been about 3 weeks since I last rode the SH and when I rode it to work today it felt funny. When making a right turn the bike felt like it was about to fall over. Never felt this way before and really not sure why it happened. I checked the air pressure and it's at 30psi, so it's not to low. Any ideas?

Dude that is like track day air pressure. Best i recall we ran 30/31 on track days. I usually run 34 front 33 or 32 in the rear (Cold) and i can feel when i am a pound off.

Another problem i have is when the tire is worn pretty bad in the front it feels like i am falling over too quick in the turns.

Hawkrider 02-19-2007 11:44 PM

30 warm is a little low. 30 cold will be fine...at least it won't give you the symptoms you describe. Did you land a wheelie hard or hit something like a large pothole lately? Sounds to me like if the tire pressures are good then you might be looking at a steering head bearing problem.

Sgt Rock 02-20-2007 08:32 AM

I haven't wheelied this thing in awhile. The front tire is worn pretty good and I have a new one sitting in the garage. I'm thinking it might be the steering head bearing. If it wasn't getting ready to rain right now I would have rode today. I'll pressure it up for tomorrow and see if it feels different. I usually run my tires a bit low because of the multiple winding roads in the local area.

jschmidt 02-20-2007 08:36 AM

If the tire is bad that may be your only problem. Don't over think it.

While the tire is off, you can easily check your steering head bearings for looseness or notching but that doesn't really sound like your problem.

Thumper 02-20-2007 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by jschmidt (Post 42341)
If the tire is bad that may be your only problem. Don't over think it.

While the tire is off, you can easily check your steering head bearings for looseness or notching but that doesn't really sound like your problem.

Agreed, my front is worn pretty bad in teh lean over area and the bike seems to fall to quick into the turns and feels like crap.

Typical when the tire is worn out. Now upgrading to the All Balls steering head bearings is always a good idea.

Sgt Rock 02-22-2007 06:45 AM

It was the tire pressure. I aired it up to 37psi today and it felt much better. None of that Oh Sh!t feel when turning.