SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   full of hot air (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/full-hot-air-12895/)

1vtwin2watch 10-08-2007 04:37 PM

full of hot air

just went out to start up my 00' SHawk and noticed at idle the left exhaust is putting out hotter air than the right. much hotter! I have 4408 miles on it and I don't know much history from the previous owner. Any thoughts? normal start up, cold engine. full choke for 15 seconds, half choke, and then the hot air. I do have a full system from D&D w/K&N filter. my hand doesn't smell like gas, more like parts cleaner. what gives??

8541Hawk 10-08-2007 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by 1vtwin2watch (Post 132491)
just went out to start up my 00' SHawk and noticed at idle the left exhaust is putting out hotter air than the right. much hotter! I have 4408 miles on it and I don't know much history from the previous owner. Any thoughts? normal start up, cold engine. full choke for 15 seconds, half choke, and then the hot air. I do have a full system from D&D w/K&N filter. my hand doesn't smell like gas, more like parts cleaner. what gives??

That's normal for a SH

8541Hawk 10-08-2007 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by 1vtwin2watch (Post 132490)

Sill normal......:rolleyes: Didn't know D&D made a full system but then you really don't need a full system unless you've done quite a bit of motor work

1vtwin2watch 10-08-2007 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk (Post 132494)
Sill normal......:rolleyes: Didn't know D&D made a full system but then you really don't need a full system unless you've done quite a bit of motor work

yeah, sorry. I meant slip on's.

1vtwin2watch 10-08-2007 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk (Post 132493)
That's normal for a SH

thanks man. why is that normal?

8541Hawk 10-08-2007 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by 1vtwin2watch (Post 132499)
thanks man. why is that normal?

Well if you look in the stock header where the right mid pipe hooks to the header the opening is blocked about half way by the way the tubes are welded together. Even if you remove the restriction the left side will still have more flow than the right. It's just the way they are. :cool:
As for the smell, it could be your carbon cans but then I've never experianced that so I'm just guessing.

Hawkrider 10-08-2007 06:19 PM

Sorry to let you down but there's no such thing as a "full system" from D&D....unless you have a friend in the company who had it custom built. They don't, nor ever have, offered one for the VTR.

nuhawk 10-08-2007 06:50 PM

It might have to do with the flow-through design of the D&D. They are almost a hollow pipe. My Superhawk is fit with a set of Jardine street baffle and they have a little more back pressure and the bike warms up very evenly. I don't think it hurts it either way.

Hawkrider 10-08-2007 07:35 PM

Oh crap, I forgot to answer the original question. :banghead:

Due to the exhaust restriction from the factory in the right header this is entirely normal. Grind it out and they will equalize, flowing and heating equally.

Hawkrider 10-08-2007 07:41 PM

I merged the two posts - one from General the other from Technical. Please don't post the same question in more than one area. It will get answered, trust me.

1vtwin2watch 10-09-2007 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkrider (Post 132522)
Oh crap, I forgot to answer the original question. :banghead:

Due to the exhaust restriction from the factory in the right header this is entirely normal. Grind it out and they will equalize, flowing and heating equally.

I correct myself, they are slip-ons. Will grinding out the header welds improve performace? what about mileage?:confused:

1vtwin2watch 10-09-2007 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkrider (Post 132525)
I merged the two posts - one from General the other from Technical. Please don't post the same question in more than one area. It will get answered, trust me.

no problem. thanks. new to the forum.

Hawkrider 10-09-2007 03:18 PM

No real improvement on performance or mileage, just more peace of mind.