SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Fuel tank solenoid problem..... please help (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/fuel-tank-solenoid-problem-please-help-25935/)

chadnol10 06-19-2011 06:45 PM

Fuel tank solenoid problem..... please help

so i damaged my tank and had to paint it. i'm think i attatched the hoses in the wrong place though. The solenoid that is attatched under my tank does anyone have a diagram for the hose placement?

8541Hawk 06-19-2011 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by chadnol10 (Post 306658)
so i damaged my tank and had to paint it. i'm think i attatched the hoses in the wrong place though. The solenoid that is attatched under my tank does anyone have a diagram for the hose placement?

Umm that is a petcock not a solenoid.....

The fuel lines should be oblivious and the vacuum line goes to the horizontal fitting not the one pointing straight down.

chadnol10 06-19-2011 07:42 PM

ok the one pointing straight down had gas pouring out of it when i was pouring gas into it today, but i have no other hoses to connect to it. should i just put a rubber cap on it or do i have the wrong hose on it. the bike also doesnt want to start so i assumed i have to have a hose messed up somewhere

saige 06-19-2011 08:17 PM

2 Attachment(s)
as you can see in pics.the nipple that goes straight down,does not have a hose connected to it at all.
on the very back where the nipple is to the side is supposed to have a vaccum hose connected to it.
if there is gas coming out of the bottom nipple,you need to buy a rebuild kit.it is leaking and is not good.it can leak into the motor and exaust.
geekonamotorcycle went thru this.no choice but to get a petcock rebuild kit if it is leaking thru the bottom nipple.
i beleive the nipple on the back,facing to the side is called the pvlir.

saige 06-19-2011 08:19 PM

here is a link with pics and such,it might help.
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ix-pics-19843/

Tweety 06-20-2011 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by chadnol10 (Post 306664)
ok the one pointing straight down had gas pouring out of it when i was pouring gas into it today, but i have no other hoses to connect to it. should i just put a rubber cap on it or do i have the wrong hose on it. the bike also doesnt want to start so i assumed i have to have a hose messed up somewhere

If you get gas pouring out of the bottom nipple, you need a new petcock... If it's leaking that bad, then it's not opening fully either... That means the membrane is ripped...

3amta3 06-20-2011 02:35 AM

there is a line that comes from under your carb on the rear cylinder, that goes to the petcock on the back side and it points to the left side of the bike. if you cap the line you will never get your bike started.... also if it leaks like that then a new petcock is in order, it is not supposed to do that......

geekonamotorcycle 06-20-2011 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by chadnol10 (Post 306664)

Do not use this petcock! if you ran it with the vacuum line connected to the leaky nipple(lol) you need to change your oil before you run the bike again.

chadnol10 06-20-2011 07:44 PM

so its possible i need a new petcock, but after talking to my dad we may have switched the 2 small hoses. so i'm going to switch the 2 small hoses. hopefully that fixes it before i buy a rebuild kit.

geekonamotorcycle 06-20-2011 07:50 PM

Was it like this on yours?
YouTube - ‪02-25-11 Bike Wars Episode 5‬‏

chadnol10 06-20-2011 07:55 PM

no its not getting any fuel so i can't even start it. i think i have those 2 hoses switched running to the wrong area.

8541Hawk 06-20-2011 07:58 PM

If it is leaking fuel it will not work no matter how you hook it up. The diaphragm is damaged\torn so no matter what you do it won't open and it will continue to leak until you repair it or the bike bursts into flames....

So it just fix the problem before you have a much bigger problem on your hand.

geekonamotorcycle 06-20-2011 07:58 PM

There are a total of 3 hoses connected to the petcock. one to the back which connects to the crankcase and one to each carb. I am not 100% certain but I believe those two are interchangeable. In the video you can see the straw running out of the nipple that should have nothing connected to it at all. the line that runs from the crankcase should be connected like in this video

YouTube - ‪02-25-11 Bike Wars Episode 4 Attack of the Petcock‬‏

If any of them are leaking you need to stop! you don't want a burning bike. Which looks like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R95Cx_82oss

Not a fuel leak, but you don't want to be happily ridding around when something similar happens.

chadnol10 06-20-2011 08:02 PM

yes you are right. but there are also 2 more hoses connected directly to the underside of the tank. i think i switched the small one on the bottom of the tank and the hose on the back of the petcock.

geekonamotorcycle 06-20-2011 08:05 PM

Yah dont get those confused, they are overfill drains. The one you want runs into the crankcase so follow it down. It uses vacuum from the crancase to actuate the valve in the petcock. If its not on properly the bike might sputter for a sec then die.

Interestingly; in my particular case I ran the bike for 1k with the vacuum line connected to that nipple at the bottom(the dealer did this not I). Petcocks can be funny like that and It has had some bad consequences.

chadnol10 06-20-2011 08:09 PM

yea i'm just going to switch those 2 if that doesn't work then i will rebuild the petcock

saige 06-20-2011 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by geekonamotorcycle (Post 306757)
Yah dont get those confused, they are overfill drains. The one you want runs into the crankcase so follow it down. It uses vacuum from the crancase to actuate the valve in the petcock. If its not on properly the bike might sputter for a sec then die.

Interestingly; in my particular case I ran the bike for 1k with the vacuum line connected to that nipple at the bottom(the dealer did this not I). Petcocks can be funny like that and It has had some bad consequences.

geek,i have to say,i think you the only one in superhawk history to run a bike for that long on the wrong nipple.try not to laugh when you read nipple lol.

chad,most likely,it will not run,becarefull when testing.can cause a big problem and have a water hose handy.good luck.

chadnol10 06-20-2011 08:27 PM

it doens't run now though. that is why i think i have them mixed up

7moore7 06-20-2011 08:52 PM

Dude! Ok, that petcock... it should not ever have fuel coming from it unless the engine is running. Get that fixed first like others have said before you try to evaluate which hoses go where. It is operated by a vacuum, which only occurs when the motor is turning over... that's all. Get a rebuild kit (or a new petcock) and rebuild the thing.

OK, after all that is done, You should have a total of 5 hoses coming from the tank.

Two are fuel, and as hawk said, are pretty obvious on their location on the petcock. They come from the carbs, one per side. Then you have a long skinny one coming from your rear cylinder. This is the vacuum line, and when you petcock is operating correctly it opens the petcock diaphragm when the motor is running.

The last two just plug into the bottom rear of the tank and go down into the motorcycle and eventually to nowhere- they are vent/overflow hoses and shouldn't cause any immediate issues with running if they are hooked up incorrectly.

chadnol10 06-23-2011 07:49 PM

so i switched the hoses. bike runs great now!!! But then i went and dumped gas in it and it leaked???? it only leaks when i dump gas in it and the bike is turned off. it only leaks for a few seconds and maybe 1/2 a pint so its not much but what is causing this. Is that really a petcock problem if it only leaks for a bit when i'm filling the tank?

geekonamotorcycle 06-23-2011 07:59 PM

thats allot of gas, where precisely did it leak from?

8541Hawk 06-23-2011 08:05 PM

I just wonder how long till this happens to you........ :boom:

racer187x 06-23-2011 08:14 PM

As others have said, the petcock needs to be rebuilt. It is really no big deal.

This should be the part number from Honda:

16953-ML0-014

I would not trust a bike leaking gas in any amount. They're not supposed to!

8541Hawk 06-23-2011 09:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Maybe this will give you a better mental image of what is going to happen to you if you keep refusing to rebuild the petcock......

Attachment 12042

is it really worth it?

VTRsurfer 06-23-2011 09:55 PM

A guy I taught a tune-up class with 25 years ago was in his front yard in Huntington Beach on a Saturday morning when he heard an explosion down the street. He and other neighbors ran down the street to find the garage door of a house blown out onto the driveway, and a 16 year old kid staggering out of the garage with his clothes in tatters, like in a cartoon.

He had drained a little gas from the tank, put it into a pan, and started cleaning his dirt bike carb. Water heater nearby.....:boom:

Respect gasoline.

chadnol10 06-24-2011 03:45 AM

ok i understand. i will rebuild the petcock. i just didnt' think it would only leak when i dump gas into it.

chadnol10 06-24-2011 03:45 AM

i thought it may leak at other times as well if it needs rebuilt.

Hawk98MD 06-24-2011 09:12 AM

I restored my tank completely with the POR 15, new gas cap, new petcock, new fuel sensor for about 350 bucks.. Easy easy easy!

chadnol10 06-24-2011 09:39 AM

is it possible since it only leaks when i dump gas into it that there is something else involved here? it just seems odd to me.

7moore7 06-24-2011 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by chadnol10 (Post 307154)
i thought it may leak at other times as well if it needs rebuilt.

I'm convinced that the petcock doesn't use basic laws of nature :D. Mine needed rebuilt a little bit back; it leaked out the bottom, but not while the bike was on or while it was sitting in the driveway. Only when I lifted the tank it would, or weirdly when I put the tank upside down in the sun. The air expanded and pushed petrol out like a little fountain... it was the weirdest thing. Anyway, a rebuild made it function as it should...