Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Fuel Tank sender unit

Old 11-13-2018, 02:29 AM
Squid

MarkJet is on a distinguished road
Fuel Tank sender unit

Hi guys, I’m in the middle of cleaning out a rusty (surface only) fuel tank on an ‘03 VTR1000f - the fuel guage was working fine prior to taking the sender unit off the tank....I’ve got the tank ready to go now and thought I’d just check the sender unit again before bolting it back onto the tank so I connected it to the wiring harnesses and moved the float up and down...the guage on the dash doesn’t seem to change, in other words it just reads empty - flashing- I went ahead and connected it to a multimeter- moves the float up and down and it definitely reads differently according to the float position.....what am I doing wrong????...thanks in advance for your help. Mark
Old 11-13-2018, 05:36 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MarkJet
Hi guys, I’m in the middle of cleaning out a rusty (surface only) fuel tank on an ‘03 VTR1000f - the fuel guage was working fine prior to taking the sender unit off the tank....I’ve got the tank ready to go now and thought I’d just check the sender unit again before bolting it back onto the tank so I connected it to the wiring harnesses and moved the float up and down...the guage on the dash doesn’t seem to change, in other words it just reads empty - flashing- I went ahead and connected it to a multimeter- moves the float up and down and it definitely reads differently according to the float position.....what am I doing wrong????...thanks in advance for your help. Mark
Ive not tested a sender like you are on the bench,,so Im just guessing.... But did you ground the sender as it would be bolted to a steel tank, bolted to a frame...?
If not that, and you have in valve spec readings from the sender on the bench...perhaps its a wiring issue between connector (pushed out pin?, broken wire at the back of the connector?)
Old 11-13-2018, 12:56 PM
Squid

Thanks for the reply, yes I did earth it out when I connected back up to the bike...can’t work out what’s going on with it, and all connections seem to be fine....
Old 11-13-2018, 10:37 PM
Squid

Ok worked it out, nothing wrong with the sender unit...when connected, and you move the float up and down, it takes awhile for it to show on the dash guage - obviously to compensate for the fuel moving around within the tank when riding/leaning into corners etc. 👍🍺
Old 11-14-2018, 06:18 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MarkJet
Ok worked it out, nothing wrong with the sender unit...when connected, and you move the float up and down, it takes awhile for it to show on the dash guage - obviously to compensate for the fuel moving around within the tank when riding/leaning into corners etc. 👍🍺
Perfect, I was just thinking of that this morning and came to ask if you had left the sender in position for a min or so... Your assumption is dead on... someplace in the fuel level system after the sender there is a controlled circuit that "delays" the sender signal
Old 11-14-2018, 01:03 PM
Squid

Cheers mate