SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Fuel screw & jetting (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/fuel-screw-jetting-34976/)

smokinjoe73 06-06-2018 08:27 PM

Fuel screw & jetting

Ok I am starting a new thread. I just cleaned my carbs, fixed the chokes and added Jack Flash thumb screws.

I have the front at 2.75 turns out and the rear at 2.5. I am getting crazy popping on decal, even more than at stock setting (which I don't know what that was)

I am also getting major carb farts now on the front cylinder.

As mentioned in my other thread my buddy thinks that the carb farts are from ever so slightly bent valves. I am not sure since its a very intermittent problem.

What setting for fuel screws is working for guys with good running bikes? I have 2 bros carbon slip ons.

Also what jetting or even point me to a jetting thread I can read.

8541Hawk 06-07-2018 06:14 AM

Bent valves....don't think so. Though someone really should write up a jetting thread =)

smokinjoe73 06-07-2018 07:15 AM

Yeah that was a diagnosis with him in Maine and me in NY. I am not thinking bent valves anymore. Still chasing the issue but its for sure carb fart back thru the front carb. Attempting to richen front cylinder. Also gonna put a longer trumpet on front.

I am looking at this old thread but I have aftermarket needles.
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...-set-up-24769/

Wolverine 06-07-2018 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 406423)
Ok I am starting a new thread. I just cleaned my carbs, fixed the chokes and added Jack Flash thumb screws.

I have the front at 2.75 turns out and the rear at 2.5. I am getting crazy popping on decal, even more than at stock setting (which I don't know what that was)

As mentioned in my other thread my buddy thinks that the carb farts are from ever so slightly bent valves. I am not sure since its a very intermittent problem.

What setting for fuel screws is working for guys with good running bikes? I have 2 bros carbon slip ons.

Joe, hop on FB and message Bobby Kuhl. I noticed him sharing his carb set-up a little while back. The general consensus there was that the one on here was rich for most everyone.

xeris 06-08-2018 06:20 AM

A question concerning decel/closed throttle exhaust popping (afterfire?). I was under the ASSumption that an open exhaust system is going allow popping with no other changes to the tuning of the carbs. That is, take of stock cans and replace with straight through, unbaffeled cans. Also a richer tuning will exacerbate this condition.
I'm, as usual, confused.

smokinjoe73 06-08-2018 10:29 PM

I am more trying to eliminate the carb farts than the popping, although the popping is obtrusive now. I am sure the richer fuel screw setting is affecting the popping.
May try to bump each carb a half step richer.

fabiostar 06-17-2018 02:05 PM

have you set the TPs yet on the carbs?

smokinjoe73 06-18-2018 05:21 AM

Hehe, no that is on the list. Had a week in Laconia bike week away from the vtr. Life gets in the way.

Wolverine 06-18-2018 07:40 AM

My Hawk never did pop like crazy before the pair delete. Once I let the choke out a tad and it did it like nuts, I wondered what the heII was going on before realizing why.

smokinjoe73 06-18-2018 11:17 AM

Wolverine missing what youre saying. Its the pair delete? Its the choke?

Wolverine 06-18-2018 12:42 PM

Yes, the choke was left out just a touch unintentionally. It popped like crazy when I closed the throttle, at any engine speed.

smokinjoe73 06-18-2018 01:12 PM

Ah ok. So you think richness causes the popping to some degree? I am about to go richer both cylinders to alleviate popping. I had less with the choke on so I think Im too lean.

kenmoore 06-19-2018 04:43 AM

Joe,

From my experience the best thing to do when your bike feels and sounds "Off" is to sync the carbs.

If it's still off do an idle drop and then check the TPS. The mixtures will be roughly right and if necessary you can tweak your Jack mixture screws on the run until the bike feels right.

I have my bike set up rich( A mixture of different brand parts . I wrote the settings down somewhere ) as most of my riding is in open country, however , as we all know on here the vagaries of carburettors can at times cause problems.

I for for one would like to know what settings you arrive at with your carbs to get your bike running perfect in relation to the conditions that you use it under.

smokinjoe73 06-19-2018 06:06 AM

So yeah was trying to avoid the sync and tps but those are now 1st on the list.

Can someone link me to the Jack fuel screw adjusting procedure as its running?

Stumpy 06-22-2018 11:14 AM

Maybe I missed it but can you give the complete setup including air filter, air box mod, jet size, I just went through this with my new motor setup. To get my bike to run right " new motor " had to go with stock air filter and for now took off the Dr Honda velocity stacks and back to the plastic. but after 500 miles or so will start to revisit the intake side of things before the dyno to see what I have gained by all this.

So my long winded rant is we need your baseline of the bike.

Syncing the carbs and tps setting is the first place to start. Have to having it run the best at whatever setup to know which way to go save you a lot of time.
Always go back to a basic baseline and move forward and analyze the outcome of the change you made.
I am sure there are setups to get you close you where you want to be.

But none of this is new to you "have gotten lots of useful and very knowledgeable info from you in the past"

smokinjoe73 06-22-2018 07:51 PM

So yeah update.
Did the 2 obvious jobs and got HUGE results.
Did carb sync and TPS.
Synce didn't seem way off but got it pretty spot on with my yard stick & clear plastic tube with valves sync tool.
TPS was almost at 800 so got it to 500.
Turned the front fuel screw back in 1/4 turn which puts it at I think 2.5 or 2.75 out.
Last thing I did was put a 2nd long trumpet on the front cylinder. I believe this worked a lot to stop the carb farts but either way I went from way too many farts to almost none.
BIKE IS TRANSFORMED.
Improvements include quick and easier starts, steadier idle, WAY more low end grunt to the point that I accidentally had the front wheel off the ground a lot on the test ride(!)
So I didn't dig into the needles this time but did clean all the jets at the start of this debacle.
I am pretty sure I have a 45 main.
Also at the start I replaced the choke fittings with the jack flash units.
I am very happy to get my bike rideable again. I am wondering about the bent valve possibility my buddy believes so next will do a leakdown test.

skokievtr 06-22-2018 09:13 PM

Popping and back-firing on decel is also caused by an exhaust leak at the head...:wheelie:

smokinjoe73 06-23-2018 05:55 AM

At the headpipe gasket?

skokievtr 06-23-2018 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 406602)
At the headpipe gasket?

Si, Senoir!

Copper tube crush gaskets required, or flip them around with some Hi-Temp Red Copper filled RTV silicone...

smokinjoe73 06-23-2018 08:20 AM

Aye caramba no es Bueno!
Ok yeah I have some of the copper gaskets around. May be an issue. Gracias el guapo.

smokinjoe73 09-22-2018 08:48 PM

Just adding the final word on my summer carb tuning/ fuel screws/ TPS/ carb sync.

My bike was carb farting on the front terribly, popping on decal to wake the the whole city and stalling intermittently.

I adjusted the fuel screws out another turn and now all the bad symptoms are gone. Idles fine, not popping and zero carb farts. Hope this helps someone.

kenmoore 09-30-2018 04:13 AM

I just re read this thread and as a veteran of 19 carb pulls I can relate to your experience Joe.

The sad thing is that I did it about 5 years ago and can't remember the settings I arrived at but she goes well under the conditions I ride .

I'm sure that there are no two VTRs on here that are exactly the same, something about the VTR that is different from other bikes is that it adapts well to mods and no matter how small the mod is you can get a measurable change in the bike.

If my bike feels off then I always go the sync in the first instance , and if that doesn't work move onto an idle drop and lastly check the TPS.

apezman07 01-14-2020 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 406423)

set the front carb a little leaner than the rear. the front slide lifts sooner than the rear slide, causing a richer condition in the front.
then again i've heard it said that front cylinders on v-twins run leaner than rear cylinders because they are directly in ambient airflow where the rear cylinder isn't.

wheels 01-23-2020 07:14 AM

check intake boots to carbs

Mine was doing same thing ! carb syn, tps, new intake boots and 3.0 turns out on fuel screws, with 48 pilots ,needles 4 th from bottom setting and runs great never pops and will loft front end when rolling on throttle. this was with help of different members .and removing and jetting carbs lord knows how many times .smells a little rich at idle ,may go in 1/4 turn in on fuels screw but it runs so good hate to mess with it now maybe enjoy riding it lol best of luck

apezman07 02-23-2020 06:36 PM

First things first, front cylinder should be leaner on the mixture screws than the rear cylinder.

rktdoc 02-24-2020 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by apezman07 (Post 411590)
First things first, front cylinder should be leaner on the mixture screws than the rear cylinder.

Best place for the mixture screws is where the cylinder vacuum is highest, 1/8 to 1/4 turn in.
Anymore than 3.5 out you need a larger slow speed jet, or have restriction on circuit.
Less than two, and the jetting needs to be leaned out, or you've got other problem going on.
My Superhawk prefers a little more on the front cylinder just backward of normal belief.
Has been this way since new.
Lots of variables affect this so x number of turns may not be ideal, but is a recommended start point.

jchesshyre 02-25-2020 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by rktdoc (Post 411591)
Best place for the mixture screws is where the cylinder vacuum is highest, 1/8 to 1/4 turn in.
Anymore than 3.5 out you need a larger slow speed jet, or have restriction on circuit.
Less than two, and the jetting needs to be leaned out, or you've got other problem going on.
My Superhawk prefers a little more on the front cylinder just backward of normal belief.
Has been this way since new.
Lots of variables affect this so x number of turns may not be ideal, but is a recommended start point.

This is really interesting – I haven't heard of setting idle mixture by vacuum before but I'd like to try it! So do you mean set for highest vacuum and then turn the screw in i.e. lean the mixture by 1/8 to 1/4 turn? I know that's basically exactly what you've written but just want to be sure.

rktdoc 02-25-2020 02:40 PM

Yep that's it.
​​​​​​Best way to do it unless have an exhaust sniffer.
Be sure bike is at temp, and level (not on side stand, it messes with fuel level in bowls) This is with tps set correctly, and idle speed at recommended high side. Once set mixture to best vacuum resync, and adjust idle speed.
I usually do them at same time I'm syncing carbs get best results that way.
Use a squirrel fan or some other high powered fan moving air over the radiators while you do this so temp stays pretty stable as this has big impact on fuel mixture needed at idle.

smokinjoe73 03-30-2020 05:15 PM

So after a bit of time has passed, I finally had some days where I didn't need the bike the next day so rejetted the carbs with #48 slow jets to replace the #45 stockers.
Huge difference!. Smoother idle, carb farts gone, no stalling to name a few benefits.
Really not sure why I didn't do it sooner but bike has never idled or come off idle so well.

skokievtr 03-30-2020 06:53 PM

Joe, Joe, Joe (head shaking left right after a tisk, tisk, tisk)...
How many years you been on this forum?

I go back to Runlevelzero though didn't find this forum for a couple of years after Greg' former forum closed, and even then 48 pilots were a known solution.

I never went in for plugging a slide hole or using a full kit. Actually am now back to the OEM slide needles shimmed 010 and 020, or both the same one or the other thickness, as it's been SO long.

Just yanking ya chain...