SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   fuel reserve lamp not working (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/fuel-reserve-lamp-not-working-10211/)

roisman 12-29-2006 06:34 AM

fuel reserve lamp not working

Hi! Anyone knows how the fuel reserve lamp on the '98 SH works?
The other day I ran out of gas because the fuel lamp did not turn on,:( it was working fine before. I have checked the connections and it was ok, I have also tried to test the fuel lamp terminal going to the wiring harness by shorting it with a piece of wire and the lamp turned on. Tried to drain the tank again to make sure it works but it wont turn on even if the tank is already empty.
Anyone who know how to remedy this problem? Your help will be greatly appreciated, Thanks!! :-D

Hawkrider 12-29-2006 09:45 PM

I guess you'd have to hook up a 12V source to the connector going to the cluster. If it comes on then the problem is the sensor in the tank. If it doesn't come on then the problem is in the cluster, possibly the LED burned out.

roisman 12-30-2006 02:52 AM

Hi Greg! I have traced the wiring connector from the tank sensor going to the cluster. When I disconnect the plug and take the connector going to the cluster and put a jumper on it the fuel lamp will turn on while the ignition is on, so I'm guessing that the sensor is bad. Is there a way to test the sensor? And if it is at fault is there a way to repair it? thanks!

shayne 12-30-2006 02:58 AM

Tricky to test for some reason. I set it up on the bench, to check it out as when I changed tanks it appeared to not work for some reason.

So I did everything I could to get it to work, and no go. So I thought I would re-install it until I could get a replacement. After I rode the bike down the road it started working!!!

So it would seem that in my case, it needed a period of time for it to start working, like it was on a time delay. I don't understand it, maybe it was just one of those freak things.

Just letting you know, so you don't end up doing something similar.

Hawkrider 12-30-2006 10:00 AM

Oh yeah, it is on a time delay. This prevents the thing from coming on and off rapidly while the tank is just above and below the 3.2 gallons.

shayne 12-31-2006 08:16 PM

Ah-hah!!!!

Couldn't see anything that would activate this when I was looking at it. Is it controlled by the ECU Greg?

Hawkrider 01-01-2007 09:00 AM

I think not, as the wiring diagram shows only wiring from the sensor to the indicator, with the associated grounds.

roisman 01-02-2007 06:02 AM

tried to remove all of the fuel again and wait for the lamp to turn on (ignition turned on) waited for more than 20 minutes and it still didn't light up, Any of you guys had an experience of fixing or replacing the sensor?

Mick-e 01-03-2007 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by roisman (Post 38266)
tried to remove all of the fuel again and wait for the lamp to turn on (ignition turned on) waited for more than 20 minutes and it still didn't light up, Any of you guys had an experience of fixing or replacing the sensor?

I have the same problem. I gave up, and just put gas in every 75 miles. :oops:
I did take my sensor off my tank all the way, but I did not let it dry out or anything.

RPV-Hawk 01-03-2007 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkrider (Post 38118)
Oh yeah, it is on a time delay. This prevents the thing from coming on and off rapidly while the tank is just above and below the 3.2 gallons.

Mine does/will "flicker" right when I'm near the limit. I When the tank is low I can "make" it come on/flicker by braking/accelerating hard, I can 'see' the fuel slosh in the tank by the way the LED flickers on/off. The only 'time delay' I notice is that the light won't come on for about the first 30-60 seconds after startup (assuming the fuel level is low enough to trigger).

shayne 01-06-2007 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by roisman (Post 38266)

This is what I was talking about. I tried every test I could think of while it was on the bench, without being able to get it to work. I was convinced it was cactus. After I put it back in the bike and rode it down the road it worked.

My only advice after my experience, is to test the circuits as per your manual. If everything else is ok, then replace the sensor.