SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Fuel light not working? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/fuel-light-not-working-26213/)

pennell 07-24-2011 02:51 PM

Fuel light not working?

1998 vtr

Lately everytime I get near when I think the fuel light should come it (it hasn't yet) my bike starts popping and pretty much running on one lung it seems... Sometimes it comes back around and works fine, but by then I have already stopped and fuelled up. Any ideas? Perhaps my fuel light doesn't work anymore; common issue?

3amta3 07-24-2011 06:26 PM

check your plug under the seat and the wires going to it.... if not you lost your sending unit.

PUSHrod 07-25-2011 10:33 AM

Children. Too young to cope.

In "The Great Escape" after Steve McQueen ambushed a German and took his motorcycle he got trapped by those chasing him. To check his fuel supply, (he had no RLOD), he just opened the gas cap and rocked the bike between his thighs to listen to the slosh of fuel. Good to go, he then raced to the frontier where his stunt double jumped the barb wire.

Yeah, your sensor connector is loose.

Lets hear it for Harvey Mushman

Tormoz 07-25-2011 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by PUSHrod (Post 309813)

In "The Great Escape" after Steve McQueen ambushed a German and took his motorcycle he got trapped by those chasing him. To check his fuel supply, (he had no RLOD), he just opened the gas cap and rocked the bike between his thighs to listen to the slosh of fuel. Good to go, he then raced to the frontier where his stunt double jumped the barb wire.

I had no idea .... Harvey Mushman is…

nekkid 07-29-2011 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by Tormoz (Post 309820)
I had no idea .... Harvey Mushman is…

Harvey Mushman is the alias McQueen used when he wanted to race incognito.

geekonamotorcycle 07-29-2011 10:29 AM

Funny, On my birthday on the 26th I was riding to st pete to pay my bike off when it dies (thankfully at the end of a long bridge and not far from a petrol station). it made awful sounds from the front cylinder so I assumed that on the day I paid it off the CCT had failed. I started taking the tak off to check the PVL when I noticed it was really light. Turns out my low fuel light didnt come on the one time I put less than a full tank in. So my mile count was not useful. I rode to the gas station with my tank pulled back with one hand to drain the last of the fuel into the carbs and refilled her.

Scary when that happens. the sender line is connected so I suppose I need a new sensor.

Furrybiker 07-29-2011 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by geekonamotorcycle (Post 310072)
Scary when that happens. the sender line is connected so I suppose I need a new sensor.

Couldn't it just be the light?

wsharpman 07-29-2011 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Furrybiker (Post 310096)
Couldn't it just be the light?

that would be too simple

tomzxt 07-30-2011 01:00 AM

Chances are it's the sensor. Clicking this link takes you to another thread that tells you the ten second way to test it.https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...el-light-7189/

CRSIGI 07-30-2011 06:26 AM

Mine only turns on after i get gas.Ran out of gas once and i had to push it about 1/8 mile up hill to a circle k

scottiemann 07-30-2011 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by PUSHrod (Post 309813)

ummm.... mine hasnt worked since I bought my SH 5 years ago (found out the hard way the first weekend.. 3 miles from a gas station)

never thought twice about it.. just keep an eye on mileage and open the gas cap before I get on..

oooooooh :shock:...... maybe I could save and ounce or 2 by removing the sender? Ill have to look into that :D